Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2018, 07:08 AM   #301
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

even if it's done to bring in Maroon or just to make space, a deal has to get done soon to get one or two guys off the roster
Old 07-02-2018, 07:12 AM   #302
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
even if it's done to bring in Maroon or just to make space, a deal has to get done soon to get one or two guys off the roster
For sure. Will be amazing if BT is able to move a cpl contracts and also get some futures in return!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:58 AM   #303
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread just became even more embarrassing for Treliving's detractors.

Now check this out...even if the moves he made this off-season don't work out and the Flames aren't a superb team, you cannot fault Treliving's abilities to address needs of the roster in solid ways that help the team both short and long-term. No GM is perfect, so some moves haven't worked out well in the past, but it's clear to me that Treliving has been learning from his mistakes without letting it inhibit his drive to improve the club year after year. He might end up being the best general manager this team's had since Cliff Fletcher, and I'm not sure anyone will top ol' Cliff.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:00 AM   #304
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I suppose the head coach could not work out and that's probably going to be a sticking point with fans given his first coach bombed. A GM can make all the right moves on his roster but if he can't get the head coach hire right it's likely all for not. I personally think Peters is going to be an improvement on Gulutzan but we will have to wait and see if he's going to be better than just good.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #305
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well I suppose the head coach could not work out and that's probably going to be a sticking point with fans given his first coach bombed. A GM can make all the right moves on his roster but if he can't get the head coach hire right it's likely all for not. I personally think Peters is going to be an improvement on Gulutzan but we will have to wait and see if he's going to be better than just good.
Thats true, just look at Vegas, GMGM seemingly did everything he could to ice the worst roster possible and Gerard Gallant went all Scotty Bowman on him.

Peters sounds like he knows what he's doing, but damn that record in Carolina gives me hesitation.

Remember, after last off season everyone was praising Tre for his moves too and his coach hire screwed it all up. Let's hope Peters is the right one.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:20 AM   #306
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

#TrustInTreliving
Old 07-02-2018, 10:21 AM   #307
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

get this thread the F outta here
Old 07-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #308
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yep, I've generally not had a problem with most of his trades and signings and I think he's done pretty well with a bunch of them, but the coach and the team performance and results have sucked. A good roster on paper that plays boring hockey and either finishes well out of the playoff race or is a first round sweep is a failure. I hope this year is better, but I don't have faith in him as a team builder.

People also tend to get caught up in the euphoria and excitement of new players and change, but is the team really going to be a lot better with Lindholm, Hannafin, Ryan and Neal? I would guess a lot of fans who are now excited had never heard of most of them before their acquisition and still don't know much about them. Some people call hires a win before the results are even starting to come in. Even the Brouwer signing had these comments at the time:

Spoiler!

Basically, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I hope it will be sweet, but what has been served up by Tre in the prior courses doesn't have me excited.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:35 AM   #309
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Thats true, just look at Vegas, GMGM seemingly did everything he could to ice the worst roster possible and Gerard Gallant went all Scotty Bowman on him.

Peters sounds like he knows what he's doing, but damn that record in Carolina gives me hesitation.

Remember, after last off season everyone was praising Tre for his moves too and his coach hire screwed it all up. Let's hope Peters is the right one.
We’ve got to keep in mind the AC’s we’ve got too. Huska has been with the organization for a while and can help the rookies/young players play to the best of their abilities with the given ice time, and another AC that just helped the Devils go from drafting 1st overall to becoming a playoff team. Not to mention, Ward’s got a cup to his name. Top that off with the Flames having a better overall team to push for the playoffs.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:38 AM   #310
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I pity the fool who doubted the Wizard lol
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:40 AM   #311
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

All of these moves really show just how unhappy Tre was with last year.
He’s been on a serious mission this off season.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #312
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

To put the off-season, so far, into perspective:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1013816309824434176

Also: Gulutzan, Cameron, and Jerrard out; Peters, Ward, and Huska in. Calgary is a much better and deeper team than they were in April.

Apart from having a long-term solution in goal, this off-season has been delightful as a Flames fan. Treliving does NOT sit on his hands.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:43 AM   #313
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I said it in another post, but this is Treliving pushing all of his chips to the center of the table and yelling all in. If this works he's the golden boy, if it fails he's probably fired.

I could also say this is Kevin Costner talking to Cleveland's owner in Draft day and being told to make a splash at the draft. This is basically Treliving calling everyone else in the Pacific Division a pancake eating MF'r

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 10:45 AM   #314
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we can pull off a deal to bring in someone like saros, tre would cement this as a perfect off season.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #315
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Yep, I've generally not had a problem with most of his trades and signings and I think he's done pretty well with a bunch of them, but the coach and the team performance and results have sucked. A good roster on paper that plays boring hockey and either finishes well out of the playoff race or is a first round sweep is a failure. I hope this year is better, but I don't have faith in him as a team builder.

People also tend to get caught up in the euphoria and excitement of new players and change, but is the team really going to be a lot better with Lindholm, Hannafin, Ryan and Neal? I would guess a lot of fans who are now excited had never heard of most of them before their acquisition and still don't know much about them. Some people call hires a win before the results are even starting to come in. Even the Brouwer signing had these comments at the time:

Basically, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I hope it will be sweet, but what has been served up by Tre in the prior courses doesn't have me excited.
What? Of course it is. How are you even questioning it? This isn't some minor upgrade to the foward group, this is an entire reshaping, filling major holes that were there to begin last year. We had some great pieces in place already and this just supplements those pieces.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:48 AM   #316
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I will be keeping an eye on Parsons and Gillies this year. Hopefully one of them really goes off this year and gives us the final long term piece going forward!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #317
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
What? Of course it is. How are you even questioning it? This isn't some minor upgrade to the foward group, this is an entire reshaping, filling major holes that were there to begin last year. We had some great pieces in place already and this just supplements those pieces.
Because a team isn't just individual player stats. Last season's team was a lot better on paper than the team under Treliving's first year, but their results were much worse in pretty much every way that matters. Next season hasn't been played yet.

Edit: Actually, on my prior point about not judging the outcome before you see the performance, here is how you actually assessed the Brouwer acquisition at the time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Very good signing.

As UFA contracts go, this is a very solid deal, but not undervalued.

Really fits what the Flames needed.
Enjoy the euphoria, but at least admit that projections/predictions do not guarantee outcomes. I hope you're right this time.

Last edited by JohnnyB; 07-02-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:15 AM   #318
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because a team isn't just individual player stats. Last season's team was a lot better on paper than the team under Treliving's first year, but their results were much worse in pretty much every way that matters. Next season hasn't been played yet.

Edit: Actually, on my prior point about not judging the outcome before you see the performance, here is how you actually assessed the Brouwer acquisition at the time:

Enjoy the euphoria, but at least admit that projections/predictions do not guarantee outcomes. I hope you're right this time.
Yeah, and I was a little wrong on Brouwer (and I bet Treliving knows he was wrong on him too), but I didn't anticipate his game completely falling off the cliff the way it has. That's a pretty lukewarm response based on the player and contract. I wasn't thrilled, but I understood why Treliving did it.

This is quite different, and I'm surprised you can't see just how different it is.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #319
Grimbl420
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Now they're better on paper than both of those teams were, by a long shot. why come and poop on what should be a happy time for us fans.
Grimbl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:25 AM   #320
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbl420 View Post
Now they're better on paper than both of those teams were, by a long shot. why come and poop on what should be a happy time for us fans.
Haha, have you read the thread title? Also, this thread was buried until some posters came in here just to say how embarrassing they think the views of people who don't support Treliving are....

I haven't gone posting negative stuff in the Neal signing thread. By all means, go be happy. I wished the same to Cali Panthers Fan.