Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #1441
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Lots of good quotes in that article:

http://flamesfrom80feet.blogspot.ca/...uture-and.html

Quote:
Born 16 months apart, Calgary Flames prospect Johnny Gaudreau and his little brother Matt are tight.

"Everywhere we've been together, we've just been so close," Gaudreau said after Monday's development camp scrimmage at WinSport.

"We shared rooms growing up until we were 17 years old, our Dad coached both of our hockey teams, back-to-back games every weekend -- his game and then my game."

Over the years, Gaudreau said they even picked their schools together.

"The reason why we picked Boston College is they wanted us both and that was really special for us," said Calgary's fourth round draft pick in the 2011 draft.
Quote:
It's that elusive, unteachable raw offensive skill set, which has left Flames fans having sleepless nights in fear that they might lose Gaudreau in the same way Anaheim lost Justin Schultz last summer when the college graduate refused to sign with the Ducks and became a free agent. Those alarm sirens began wailing last spring when Gaudreau announced he was returning to Boston College for a third year.

However, Gaudreau's been clear with his motivation. He wants the chance to play with his brother. He says he also wants to get bigger so he's better prepared to handle the rigors of the professional game. Essentially, he's hoping one more year will get him to a weight that will keep him an effective player.
Quote:
"Playing with some of the bigger bodies this year, the bigger guys at this camp, I can tell how much guys are getting stronger and I know that if I want to make it to the next level, I obviously need to get stronger and bigger in the right areas," said Gaudreau. "That was one of my biggest concerns in going back to school."
Quote:
Gaudreau says one of his biggest concerns is being able to play well at the pro level and not be a liability.

"I just want to make sure that when I come in or if I come in, I’m ready to go," said Gaudreau. "I don’t want to be one of the weak links out there. I want to make sure that I’m not a concern out on the ice. I want to make sure that I’m valuable on the ice and not just one of those players that oh, oh, he’s on the ice, we’ve got to watch out."
Quote:
Having enjoyed a great week at the Flames development camp, his third with the club, Gaudreau sounds genuinely excited about Calgary's future.

"Last year there were good guys but this year with their draft and all the young guys they’ve gotten and a lot of good free agents they’ve picked up like Corban Knight, it just shows where the organization is going and I’m really excited to see the next few years," he said.
Quote:
Fans would like that too. As it stood Monday afternoon, they already couldn't get enough of 'little' Johnny Gaudreau as he signed autographs and posed for pictures with small kids, big kids and even a bunch of Dads.

"Yeah, it’s something I never really expected. I’ve never had the chance to do that stuff before," Gaudreau said about all the attention. "It’s a lot of fun coming up here, seeing all the fans, and seeing how much they love their hockey so it’s pretty cool."
Sounds like a great kid!

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #1442
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
^ Lots of good quotes in that article:

http://flamesfrom80feet.blogspot.ca/...uture-and.html

Sounds like a great kid!
Said it before and i'll say it again, more than sven, more than monahan, the future of this franchise rests on gaudreau's shoulders. if his talent materializes the rebuild will be instantly two or three years ahead of schedule.

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #1443
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know they list Kane at 180, but there is no way he's that heavy.

If Gaudreau gets himself up to the 168 - 170 range, he will be in the same ballpark as Kane. And while that is still small, it is not the-odds-are-stacked-against-you small.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #1444
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
Said it before and i'll say it again, more than sven, more than monahan, the future of this franchise rests on gaudreau's shoulders. if his talent materializes the rebuild will be instantly two or three years ahead of schedule.

That is simply because Monahan and Sven are already pencilled in to be future top 6 forwards though. If Sven gets injured a bunch and never reaches potential or Monahan busts it doesn't matter if Johnny reaches his potential because the "sure thing" prosepcts didn't pan out.

To me Geaudreau and Jankowski both are keys to how quickly this rebuild will take. Both guys are high boom/bust prospects and if they boom we potentially have another top line LW and first line C to go with Monahan and Sven.

Every year Gaudreau seems to go from more of a question mark to more of a sure thing to make the NHL. Once he makes it will he become a top player? The same with Janko who appears to have grown and taken a few steps talent wise. While Johnny looks a year away Janko is still likely 2-3 years away from turning pro.

I think it is critical that our "sure things" live up to their massive potential but if our boom/bust prospects pan out then the future core of the team may be in place sooner than later.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #1445
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I know they list Kane at 180, but there is no way he's that heavy.

If Gaudreau gets himself up to the 168 - 170 range, he will be in the same ballpark as Kane. And while that is still small, it is not the-odds-are-stacked-against-you small.

So Gaudreau = Kane, Monahan = Toews, and Sven = Hossa?

I like it
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #1446
Prufrock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

I like it
I've been thinking the same thing. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a crazy imagination
Old 07-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #1447
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pat Steinberg@Fan960Steinberg42s

#Flames GM Jay Feaster says the team will start talks with Sean Monahan this week on his entry level deal.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #1448
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think 165-170 is realistic weight for him.

It's easy to say well he's going to get hoy, but sometimes it's not easy to hit these guys. It's always the gameplan to hit the smaller skilled players, but carrying it out is difficult.

I remember thinking its just easy for us with regher and dion and to go and smash the sedins, but it never materialized.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #1449
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Kinda reminded me of that player whose last name starts with G that I cannot say because that would be stupid.
What is wrong with making the comparison? You're not saying he's going to score at the same levels that other guy did, all you're saying is there are some similarities in their games. I've yet to see a player that passes as well, through as many people, as Gretzky, but this Guadreau kid is damn close. He makes passes work that just should never get through. He's special. I've not seen a player, that should be so easy to hit, but never get, like Gretzky was, but this Gaudreau kid is every bit as good in that manner. One area I think Gaudreau is actually better than Gretzky is skating. Gaudreau is faster and stronger on his skates than Gretzky was.

Now, saying all of that, does that make Gaudreau as good as Gretzky or likely to have the same success? No. Gretzky was a player who came along at a time when the overall talent level of the game was no where near what it is today. Half of that Oilers lineup wouldn't make today's NHL and Gretzky's scoring totals would not be near as gaudy. He would still be a dominant player in today's game, but not to the same extent he was back in the day. Gaudreau faces a much greater challenge and even with all of his gifts he is coming into a game that is much different. The game is faster. Players are bigger. Goaltenders take up half the net with their bulky equipment and are much better than those of years gone by. Gaudreau is no Gretzky, but there are some similarities in their abilities. Gaudreau will not score anywhere near the level Gretzky did, but no one ever will again. The game has evolved and it will never go back to the way it was when Gretzky was playing against guys that would struggle to make a ECHL squad now.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #1450
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ Gomez?
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #1451
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd prefer it if Gaudreau came into the league, did some amazing things here, and left as one of those players you try to compare future players to. Maybe you don't have to compare him to anything. Maybe he'll be his own "thing". At this stage he looks to be special enough in his own way to make a player type for himself.. and hopefully a model for undersized players that want to make the jump. That would be cooler than any second coming of whoever.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #1452
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteLFan View Post
I think 165-170 is realistic weight for him.

It's easy to say well he's going to get hoy, but sometimes it's not easy to hit these guys. It's always the gameplan to hit the smaller skilled players, but carrying it out is difficult.

I remember thinking its just easy for us with regher and dion and to go and smash the sedins, but it never materialized.
Have we put up a fight against Vancouver since Dion was traded?

All I remember is the Sedins talking to the media right after the trade and expressing their relief that he was out of the division. And a few jarring open ice hits he put on them every season.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #1453
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post

All I remember is the Sedins talking to the media right after the trade and expressing their relief that he was out of the division. And a few jarring open ice hits he put on them every season.
I can't wait for them to meet Patrick Sieloff.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #1454
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post

It would be interesting to see but I actually think we have defended against the Sedin's better since the Regehr trade.

Don't remember being terrorized by the twins as much the past two seasons.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #1455
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I like it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
I've been thinking the same thing. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a crazy imagination
lol yeah... the thought had entered my head recently too but it's a little silly and didn't want to post it.

I think Sven has an underrated two-way game in him and I love his passion and desire to win. I know people have gotten down on him a little lately but that's mostly due to not being the shiny new toy anymore. When Monahan, Gaudreau etc hit the NHL they'll have horrible stretches too that will make you wonder as well.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #1456
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I like it
We just need a Keith and Seabrook. Hopefully Brodie can be one of them.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #1457
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Or a Suter and a MacInnis. Can we not compare these guys to filthy Blackhawks please.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to saillias For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #1458
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I don't know about that.

Although watching those scrimmages, I always thought he was a speed down the wing and fire it guy but the way he stops on a dime and distributes the puck is what suprised me. Seems like he could thread passes to a player but it was optimized in that if that player missed it, there was another flame perfectly behind him (sort of like the Super Mario Cannon/bubble game). Maybe thats who he meant it for. Kinda reminded me of that player whose last name starts with G that I cannot say because that would be stupid.
so you don't know if he's our most important prospect , because it's a little far fetched, then you talk of the great one?

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #1459
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
so you don't know if he's our most important prospect , because it's a little far fetched, then you talk of the great one?
I think he was thinking of Giroux. I didn't even think of Gretzky when I read his post.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #1460
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
We just need a Keith and Seabrook. Hopefully Brodie can be one of them.
We have good odds on D we have something similar to those two. With Wotherspoon, Breen, Seiloff, Ramage, Culkin and Kulak in the works I think we can manage to muster up a better than good D-corps in the next couple of years. And you add Brodie if he can continue the progress he showed last year and all signs point to a great chance the Flames get one heck of a top six moving forward.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote