Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-17-2018, 10:30 AM   #201
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I agree, but there were question marks about Wentz and Watson pre-draft too and teams still picked guys like Trubisky top 3. Teams are so QB-needy that I fully expect three QBs in the top 5 this year. To me it seems like an overrated group of QBs too and every single one of them has warts, but I'd be surprised if teams didn't draft them early nevertheless.

If the Giants don't like them, I'd certainly trade down though. Reaching for a guard would be worse than reaching for a quarterback.
Agreed but Nelson isn't a reach. Many believe he is atop 5 player in the draft...full stop.

Personally if Barkely is there...I take him in an instant. If they are going QB, then if its me I take Allen. If they do want Oline help its Nelson and on the D side of things one of Chubb or James. So at this point drafting beause of need is as good as drafting BPA.

Sure are a lot of layers to this thing though, no question. It all comes down to who the personnel guys like the best and where the coaching staff thinks the biggest needs are. With Shurmurs background along the Oline...it may very well be Nelson.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #202
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Now i have read a couple opinion pieces that suggest Buffalo will trade up to the 2 spot...which would make the Jets move even more questionable if it happens and the Bills take the Jets target.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:29 PM   #203
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://www.tmz.com/2018/03/17/aaron-...overed-oxygen/

Quote:
Aaron Hernandez was gay -- according to several people close to him ... and his private struggle with his sexuality caused him great emotional pain that may have turned him violent.

It's all part of the Oxygen documentary, "Aaron Hernandez Uncovered" -- which features interviews with Aaron's close friends, ex-girlfriends and members of his legal team.

Aaron's college girlfriend, Alyssa Anderson, says she first learned Aaron had a relationship with a man while they were attending the University of Florida ... but he denied it at the time. It was only years later that Hernandez cryptically acknowledged her suspicions were true.

George Leontire -- an openly gay member of Hernandez's defense team -- says he spoke with Hernandez at length about his sexuality and Aaron opened up like never before.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #204
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Steelers have signed Packers safety Morgan Burnett.

I feel Colbert has done well so far in free agency despite extremely limited funds - Bostic and Burnett should be clear upgrades over what they had at the positions and came reasonably cheap. Still hope they'll use their first two draft picks on an inside linebacker and a safety.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #205
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
While Vince McMahon promises to bring back a revamped XFL in 2020, a son of McMahon's partner in the original short-lived XFL venture said his football league will come first. And some big NFL names will be involved.

Charlie Ebersol, who directed a documentary on the XFL that aired last year as part of ESPN's 30 for 30 series, announced Tuesday that his league, the Alliance of American Football, plans to debut Feb. 9, 2019, the week after Super Bowl LIII. The season will run 10 weeks and will have 50-man teams.

To help him steer the league, Charlie Ebersol brought on former NFL general manager Bill Polian, currently an analyst for ESPN. The player side will be overseen by former Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu, and the team side will be guided by former USC standout and executive J.K. McKay.

Advisers to the league also will include former NFL players Hines Ward and Justin Tuck, as well as Dick Ebersol.

Along with good football and names the local market knows, Ebersol said a hallmark of the league will be no TV timeouts and 60 percent fewer commercials, as well as an innovative approach to broadcasting.

There also will be no kickoffs (the ball will be placed automatically at the 25-yard line) and no onside kicks. The losing team will just start on its own 35-yard line with fourth-and-10. Play clocks will be 30 seconds and every touchdown will be followed by a two-point conversion attempt.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ootball-league
Old 03-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #206
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
The NFL’s rulemaking competition committee have made modifications to the controversial catch rule by eliminating the provisions in place that relate to the slight movement of the football in a receiver's hands and the going-to-the-ground requirement.

The new catch rule will require that a receiver will have to have control of the football, but any slight movement of the football in the receiver's hands upon review will not result in the play becoming an incomplete pass.

Players will not be penalized for not completely maintaing control of the football when they're in the process of going to the ground.

Over the past few years, the previous rule has been widely debated as teams have been burned by it in tight contents.

“The Dez Bryant play, that’d be a catch” under the new rule, Vincent said, mentioning a series of controversial non-catch calls over the years. “The Jesse James play, that’d be a catch.”
https://www.tsn.ca/nfl-to-set-new-de...rule-1.1032448
Old 03-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #207
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Just absurd.

Quote:
Bidding for the Carolina Panthers has reached a record $2.5 billion, Bloomberg reported Wednesday.

One candidate to purchase the team, Fanatics owner Michael Rubin, is currently not willing to go that high, a source told ESPN.

Rapper and mogul Sean "Diddy'' Combs and Golden State Warriors All-Star Stephen Curry were among potential minority partners with Rubin. At this point, billionaire businessman Joseph Tsai is the only confirmed partner with Rubin, sources said.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...urry-group-out
Old 03-22-2018, 08:12 AM   #208
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giants trade Jason Pierre-Paul and a 2018 fourth-round pick to Buccaneers for a 2018 third-round pick and a fourth-round pick.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #209
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Giants trade Jason Pierre-Paul and a 2018 fourth-round pick to Buccaneers for a 2018 third-round pick and a fourth-round pick.
Bucs going all-in on ex-NFC East players for their D-line.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #210
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eagles have signed Mike Wallace to a one-year deal worth $2.5M.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #211
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what you’re saying is Michael Bennett is an #######? Old news, we all already knew that.

@AdamSchefer
Quote:
District Attorney of Harris
County, Texas announced it has indicted Eagles’ DE Michael Bennett for felony charge for injuring a 66-year-old paraplegic working at NRG Stadium to control access to field at SuperBowl LI. A warrant has been issued for Bennett’s arrest.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:00 AM   #212
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
A warrant has been issued for the arrest of Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Michael Bennett after a grand jury indicted him on a felony charge of injury to the elderly related to an incident at NRG Stadium following Super Bowl LI, according to the office of the district attorney of Harris County, Texas.

access, but the defensive end pushed through them, including the woman.

Speaking at a news conference Friday, Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said Bennett allegedly told the people he had pushed, "You all must know who I am, and I can own this m-----f-----. I'm going down to the field, whether you like it or not.''

Class act.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ent-super-bowl
Old 03-25-2018, 12:25 PM   #213
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are there charges if he isn't an NFL player? Pushed by some people? Seems excessive to me.

Bennett is an idiot though.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:58 PM   #214
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Are there charges if he isn't an NFL player? Pushed by some people? Seems excessive to me.

Bennett is an idiot though.
Quote:
NRG security personnel, including a 66-year-old paraplegic woman, told Bennett he had to use a different entrance for field access, but the defensive end pushed through them, including the woman.

The woman suffered a sprained shoulder, according to Acevedo. He noted that authorities are in contact with Bennett's lawyer.

The injury to the elderly charge includes intentionally and knowingly causing bodily injury to a person 65 years or older and carries a penalty of up to 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.
Yeah...i have no issues with him answering for that kind of behaviour.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:16 PM   #215
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Rams trying to go full Dream Team by signing Suh to a one year 14mil deal. On paper that defence looks pretty good. Suh and Donald should be a handful.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:15 PM   #216
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rams gotta go dream team, unless they start winning titles (and realistically they probably need to build a Patriots level dynasty) they'll always be the #2 team in LA behind the Raiders. Plus with Goff and Gurley still on cheap deals, the window is now. Once they gotta pay everyone they're basically screwed, so might as well take your shot.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:48 PM   #217
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Rams trying to go full Dream Team by signing Suh to a one year 14mil deal. On paper that defence looks pretty good. Suh and Donald should be a handful.
Agreed. They look so good on paper that it makes me wonder how it's going to fall apart next year, because that seems to be what happens to teams who load up with big names in the off-season. Curious to see how they gel
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:01 PM   #218
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Seahawks cut their backup QB Trevone Boykin after some pretty disturbing accusations of domestic violence against his girl friend. If he was better...he'd probably get the benefit of the doubt.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:28 PM   #219
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Interesting....see how its enforced, but I like the idea of it.

Quote:
NFL owners passed an unexpected rule Tuesday that will expand penalties for helmet-to-helmet contact, one that is more significant and far-reaching than the NCAA's targeting rule.

Under the change, a player will be penalized 15 yards and potentially ejected any time he lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent. It will apply to tacklers, ball carriers and even linemen, and will take the place of a previous rule that limited the penalty to contact with the crown of the helmet.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:30 PM   #220
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Seahawks cut their backup QB Trevone Boykin after some pretty disturbing accusations of domestic violence against his girl friend. If he was better...he'd probably get the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah...dude sounds like a lovely human.

Quote:
Bailey told WFAA that Boykin attempted to choke her and broke her jaw in two places during an incident that occurred at his home last week. She said she blacked out while Boykin was attempting to choke her and then came to in a "puddle of blood on the kitchen floor."
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...in-wake-report