Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-22-2021, 12:40 PM   #161
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nexus staff called me today. In short, we're f...d. Since we didn't apply for renewal while the cards were still active, they treat these as entirely new applications. Wait time to decision is anywhere from 12 to 18 months.

Advice: if your membership is up for renewal, don't let it lapse.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #162
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

anyone know if interviews are required for renewal? The website seems to treat them new apps and renwals the same.

It also says it could take 18 to 24 months (!!!!) for review of the renewal app but that I get to keep benefits in the meantime.

nm looks like rube got to skip the renewal interview and go straight to new card. We'll see how they handle it for me.

BTW thanks for the reminder. Mine was in my inbox for a few weeks and I kept putting it off. Knowing you cannot exceed the deadline for renewal important. It said that once I logged in but didn't say that in the renewal email. I still have two more months but I'm glad to have it done early.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-22-2021 at 01:22 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:24 PM   #163
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
anyone know if interviews are required for renewal? The website seems to treat them both the same.

It also says it could take 18 to 24 months (!!!!) for review of the renewal app but that I get to keep benefits in the meantime.
Yes and yes. You might get RANDOMLY selected for an automatic renewal, provided that you have applied for renewal while your cards were still active. If you are not that lucky, it's 12 to 18 months to the interview notice PLUS whatever it takes to schedule one... All NEXUS offices in Canada have been closed for one full year apparently, no interviews were conducted, so there's a huge backlog now. There was a pilot project of doing interviews over ZOOM, but it's been quashed.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 01:28 PM   #164
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Wow that sucks man. I hope you don't have to wait that long. I had flagged the email but I'm super thankful this thread popped up when it did or I may have forgotten.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:31 PM   #165
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I have nobody to blame for this except myself. They did send me three reminders to renew and I just procrastinated.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:31 PM   #166
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I automatically got TSA pre-approved for my return flight from LAX to YYC, despite not having a Nexus pass. Stood in the regular people line for awhile before I realized I had it on my boarding pass (on my phone, so it wasn't like I was holding a regular one and not seeing it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Unless your a member of one of the approved programs that includes Nexus then that was a big security ####up by someone.
These posts are years old but maybe worth mentioning, the last trip we took to the US pre-covid, both my parents got the TSA pre-check without being nexus members. It was a nice bonus that they were able to skip the lines with me. Only on the return flight though. Going to the US they had to line up with the suckers.

Makes me wonder why/how it happens. Is it the originating airline? We were WJ via Delta I think. Is it that they just trust Canadians?
Old 10-22-2021, 06:43 PM   #167
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Yeah, I have nobody to blame for this except myself. They did send me three reminders to renew and I just procrastinated.
Exact same thing happened to me. It's still under review 6 months later.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:58 PM   #168
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

/me checks expiry data. 2025. Considers applying for renewal.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2021, 12:50 AM   #169
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do it
Old 10-23-2021, 05:25 AM   #170
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
/me checks expiry data. 2025. Considers applying for renewal.
I think you have to be within 3 or 6 months of expiry date to submit renewal application. Luckily, my wife is organized and watches all this sort of stuff.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:48 AM   #171
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know, it was mostly a joke about the long wait times now.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:48 AM   #172
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Reading this got me anxious to get my wife and daughters renewed, setup the new accounts and went through the verifications, only to realize I had done it 6 months ago and completely forgotten about it. But still no option for appointments in Canada.

It would be nice to at least get cards with the extended expiry date, as I’ve had a few conversations with security people as I use it to go through the nexus lines and they feel the need to scold me for using an expired card.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:53 PM   #173
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I think you have to be within 3 or 6 months of expiry date to submit renewal application. Luckily, my wife is organized and watches all this sort of stuff.

I think it's up to 1 year out.

Mine expires next year and was told I could apply for renewal during the month of expiry
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2021, 06:02 PM   #174
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I applied for Nexus in October or 2019. My application was approved for an interview in June 2020. I scheduled and had to reschedule a few times due to covid closures. I've been checking online weekly trying to schedule an appointment and but it always says Calgary has "No appointments available for this location" Every location in North America says that actually.

Now, 2 years later, I still can't get in. My dashboard says there is "remote virtual interviews" available but does not give me the option to apply that way. It's super frustrating. I hope those of you who need to get a renewal have a much easier time.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:39 AM   #175
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I renewed with plenty of time before expiry in October 2019 and it was June 2020 that I got a new card in the mail. No interview, just a new card in the mail.
*I travelled in Feb 2019, somehow I never updated my address when I had moved. The Canadian guys, while nice enough to update my info dragged me over the coals for 30 minutes about not keeping my info current.
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:33 AM   #176
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I purposely elected to let my Nexus lapse.

Nexus at YYC is a joke. No dedicated security lineup. Broken stations every time. Faster queuing for non-Nexus, etc. Not worth it to me anymore.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:26 PM   #177
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone ever gone to another location for an interview?
I want to get this done and over with and check weekly but Calgary still does not have any options for appointments. I can see that Sweetgrass, Montana has appointments available as early as Tuesday and am tempted to just drive down, hop the border for the interview, and come straight back home. I know there's lots of obstacles but, in my head right now, it seems pretty straightforward.
Has anyone else ever gone down there for this before?
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:37 PM   #178
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I’d heard of people doing that pre covid but I just got an email that they’re closed indefinitely starting tomorrow. All CBSA interviews at nexus locations in the USA are suspended.
Old 12-20-2021, 12:50 AM   #179
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
Has anyone ever gone to another location for an interview?
I want to get this done and over with and check weekly but Calgary still does not have any options for appointments. I can see that Sweetgrass, Montana has appointments available as early as Tuesday and am tempted to just drive down, hop the border for the interview, and come straight back home. I know there's lots of obstacles but, in my head right now, it seems pretty straightforward.
Has anyone else ever gone down there for this before?

I haven't done the interview at Sweetgrass, but when I lived in Ottawa there were barely any interview slots available at Ottawa International Airport, but there were plenty available at the Thousand Island Bridge Crossing about 1.5 hours away and they didn't have any issues with me interviewing down there.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 05:22 AM   #180
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did my interview at Blaine, Washington it's pretty easy. I got an email saying my NEXUS was approved just as I left the building.

Sent from my SM-A105M using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote