Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2021, 07:46 PM   #781
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I installed Android 12 on my Pixel 4a 5G. It's a big visual change but other than the new look, it feels like there aren't a lot of actual new features or changes. The features that are here all seem to be focused on Pixel devices which is a big change for Google.

Since Android 10 things have felt more iterative than innovative with Android. What are the thoughts of others using Android 12 so far?
Old 10-20-2021, 07:49 PM   #782
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
I installed Android 12 on my Pixel 4a 5G. It's a big visual change but other than the new look, it feels like there aren't a lot of actual new features or changes. The features that are here all seem to be focused on Pixel devices which is a big change for Google.

Since Android 10 things have felt more iterative than innovative with Android. What are the thoughts of others using Android 12 so far?
Honestly, my Galaxy S10e feels like it has been virtually unchanged moving from Android 9 to 11 over the years. To add to the weirdness,, iOS to me has felt like each major version has made bigger UX jumps.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:56 PM   #783
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Honestly, my Galaxy S10e feels like it has been virtually unchanged moving from Android 9 to 11 over the years. To add to the weirdness,, iOS to me has felt like each major version has made bigger UX jumps.
Yeah once Material Design was established Google kept refining it and tweaking but it always felt the same. IMO not a bad thing. It was nice to go from device to device and know what to expect. I remember the days when every OEM had a very different Android skin and every device felt very different. Material You is cool concept but I don't think it's going to work well if only Google plays ball (I can't see Facebook and Microsoft for example wanting to allow their apps to have adaptive colour, they want their brand colours) and/or it's only on Pixel devices.

Android 12 feels like a new UI for Android 11. There are still things that need to be tweaked, changed and refined in my opinion and I am wondering how long that takes. Does Google keep refining in their monthly patches, or is this "good enough" until Android 13 next year?

It feels to me like Google knew they needed a new OS to sell a new device, and so put a new skin on Android 11 instead of making a lot of useful changes to the OS to really push it forward.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:55 PM   #784
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Almost bought the 6 pro last night. Don't need it just wanted it. Might still be an early Christmas though.

I have used the 12beta for a few months now so I'm fairly familiar with it by now. It's nice enough but yes pretty much just a skin of 11 and a fancy new OS for the Pixel phones. I hate the pixel name.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:02 AM   #785
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are the pixel ear buds likely to be back in stock in the next week? Anyone else offering deals with the new pixel?

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:05 AM   #786
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

My friend just received a shipping notice for his Pixel 6 Pro with delivery date of next Tuesday, October 26.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:13 AM   #787
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrell View Post
Are the pixel ear buds likely to be back in stock in the next week? Anyone else offering deals with the new pixel?
I read that they're sending a voucher for the buds later, after phones ship? in other countries they're giving away Bose headphones with them, it's kind of a weird free stuff party. all the Spigen items on Amazon.ca are not available locally, it's being imported...the US Spigen site is giving out free 30W chargers for every $35 spent, but we have to pay significant shipping (around $20USD) to get it sent up here.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:32 PM   #788
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sort of an Android-y subject, the Windows Subsystem for Android launched to Windows 11 Insiders in the beta ring today. After a bit of a false start in 2015 with the Android Subsystem in Windows 10 Mobile being unceremoniously scrapped prior to launch, an all-new version is publicly available.

Notes:
- It works on Windows 11 Home or Pro, must be on major version 22000.xxx. Newer builds from the Dev ring won't see the option to install WSA in the store. (You can find a way to sideload the Subsystem to unsupported builds if you look on Reddit, YMMV.)
- Virtualization needs to be enabled in the UEFI and virtualization features need to be enabled in the OS.
- It'll only show up in the Microsoft Store to be installed if you have your "Country or region" set to United States. (You can change it back once it's installed.)
- Set up and use of the Amazon AppStore for Windows requires a US-based Amazon account (for now). I didn't feel like messing with my Amazon account as every time you change the region, it disbands your Amazon Household which is really annoying.

You can open the Windows Subsystem for Android settings and turn on "developer mode" which will allow you to sideload APKs using ADB. It works, I tried it on my main gaming rig. Pretty neat. I attempted to sideload the Google Play Store, but could not get it or the related Play Services to set up correctly. The APKs install successfully (so they say) but some required permissions are blocked.

Now that it's here, I'm kind of stuggling to decide what Android apps I want to run. My personal device is an iPhone, so most of my apps would be those which have both an iOS and Android version that would sync across accounts (and again, Play Services aren't available). And since there's no app store at all, I need to find clean APK copies to sideload or use APK Extractor from my work phone.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 07:50 AM   #789
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
My friend just received a shipping notice for his Pixel 6 Pro with delivery date of next Tuesday, October 26.
Was that from the Google Store?

What was his original estimated delivery date? Mine still stands at Nov 1-2.
Captain Otto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:18 AM   #790
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I read that they're sending a voucher for the buds later, after phones ship? in other countries they're giving away Bose headphones with them, it's kind of a weird free stuff party. all the Spigen items on Amazon.ca are not available locally, it's being imported...the US Spigen site is giving out free 30W chargers for every $35 spent, but we have to pay significant shipping (around $20USD) to get it sent up here.
Yeah - I had to order a Spigen case as the Google ones were sold out. Noticed they are being imported.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:25 AM   #791
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
Was that from the Google Store?

What was his original estimated delivery date? Mine still stands at Nov 1-2.
From Google Store. Original delivery estimate was Oct 28-29.

My original delivery date was estimated to be Nov 1-2, but I see they've updated it to Oct 28-29.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:52 AM   #792
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

December 17 still. I hate you all.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:37 AM   #793
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
December 17 still. I hate you all.
Positive things happen to positive people. Maybe time to look in the mirror.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2021, 10:41 AM   #794
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Yeah - I had to order a Spigen case as the Google ones were sold out. Noticed they are being imported.

That's weird. I ordered a liquid air case from Amazon on Tuesday and it shipped and sold from Amazon Canada. I didn't pay any import fees and it was delivered yesterday.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #795
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For those that forgot to add the free pixel buds to their order, apparently Google will be reaching out.

Quote:
Redeem the Pixel Buds A-Series promotion
US/CA only: If you're eligible for the Pixel Buds A-Series promotion but forgot to add Pixel Buds A-Series to your phone order, don’t worry. We’ll send an email by November 3rd with next steps on how to redeem the offer.
https://support.google.com/store/answer/11300754?hl=en
Captain Otto is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Otto For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #796
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need a new phone and the price of the Samsung Flip3 5G just dropped. Anyone have any real world experience with this phone, and would/n't recommend?
Old 10-25-2021, 01:40 PM   #797
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
For those that forgot to add the free pixel buds to their order, apparently Google will be reaching out.

https://support.google.com/store/answer/11300754?hl=en
I did the online chat to ask google support the same question - just had it on in the background while I worked. They confirmed, as well as gave me a $15 store credit for waiting in line.

I also read, on reddit, of others getting the same treatment. So pays to open a google chat and ask the question.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2021, 02:02 PM   #798
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

My Pixel 6 Pro just shipped. Fata yeah
Old 10-25-2021, 04:47 PM   #799
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp: