Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-12-2021, 05:35 PM   #13421
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
As I continue to hear more and more Darryl Sutter quotes, the more I’m convinced Gio stays. Based on the usage, the comments Darryl made during the season and at the end of the season, I just can’t imagine Sutter being ok with icing Chris Tanev and a pile of under 25 defensemen. He practically blamed the failed season on the young defensemen on the team. These are not the types of responses or actions from a man who wants to see his top defenseman lost to Seattle.

I actually can foresee a pairing of Gio-Tanev as the #1 pair next season with Gio leading the team in average ice time. That’s my prediction. Might not be a popular opinion here, but the evidence seems to lean that direction.
Which I'm actually completely okay with. Giordano's demise as this team's best defenseman is highly overstated, similar to the overstating of the ability of a kid like Valimaki. Last summer, there were some who were hopeful that Valimaki would be a Top 4 defenseman this season, ignoring the typical path of a prospect that isn't an elite, blue chip defenseman like an Ekblad or Hedman.

Giordano had a rough first half, but by the end of the year was, once again, the team's best defenseman. Flames are much better with him on the team than removed.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2021, 06:20 PM   #13422
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Which I'm actually completely okay with. Giordano's demise as this team's best defenseman is highly overstated, similar to the overstating of the ability of a kid like Valimaki. Last summer, there were some who were hopeful that Valimaki would be a Top 4 defenseman this season, ignoring the typical path of a prospect that isn't an elite, blue chip defenseman like an Ekblad or Hedman.

Giordano had a rough first half, but by the end of the year was, once again, the team's best defenseman. Flames are much better with him on the team than removed.

I don’t disagree with you, but would you protect Gio over Tanev?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2021, 07:54 PM   #13423
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post

Even by end of year Tanev was still our best D man. I would argue the Flames are better with the almost 7M in cap space with a change in leadership than a rapidly declining Gio.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2021, 07:59 PM   #13424
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me a big factor continues to be the potential return at the TDL with Gio on an expiring deal. I think that could net the Flames an additional 1st. Of course, it would hinge entirely on the Flames not being in the playoffs by the TDL.

Ultimately I'm hoping Seattle claims Kylington, as I think both Gio and Tanev have value to this franchise, just in different ways.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2021, 08:05 PM   #13425
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Kadri could get traded. He certainly hasn't endeared himself to Avs fans
I was thinking about this the other day.

After the Avs were eliminated, I saw a tweet that mentioned Kadri has been out of the lineup, serving a suspension, when his team was eliminated from the playoffs in 3 of the last 4 seasons.

We know Treliving was interested in Kadri previously. We also know that Sutter hasn't had a problem working with "problem child" players in the past (Marchment, Bertuzzi).

If Sakic decided it was time to move on from Kadri, would you be in favour of the Flames trying to acquire him this summer (if he could be convinced to waive the NTC this time)? What would be a fair price to pay for him?
Old 06-12-2021, 08:12 PM   #13426
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

After the Avs were eliminated, I saw a tweet that mentioned Kadri has been out of the lineup, serving a suspension, when his team was eliminated from the playoffs in 3 of the last 4 seasons.

We know Treliving was interested in Kadri previously. We also know that Sutter hasn't had a problem working with "problem child" players in the past (Marchment, Bertuzzi).

If Sakic decided it was time to move on from Kadri, would you be in favour of the Flames trying to acquire him this summer (if he could be convinced to waive the NTC this time)? What would be a fair price to pay for him?
I would be happy to acquire Kadri if the price was right . Granted I want Eichel but that might be hard to get. I’m still pissed kadri wouldn’t waive. Yes he makes bonehead plays that hurts the team, but you can’t question his heart . Something you can’t say for a bunch of our current flames.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:25 PM   #13427
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

I love Naz. I own one jersey and it's a Kadri. I feel his problem is he cares TOO MUCH.

He loves his teammates and when he feels they're being picked on he just loses a screw and tries to get some revenge.

Probably not worth it for the Avs to trade him though. His value must be at an all-time low. Just keep him because he is a great player and just hope next postseason is different.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:27 PM   #13428
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I don’t disagree with you, but would you protect Gio over Tanev?

No, I wouldn't.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2021, 09:47 PM   #13429
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's tough to see a Kadri to CGY deal that makes any sense for both sides. His 1x4.5M contract is exceptional value, and it doesn't make any sense for Calgary to pay a premium for a 1 year player. If COL weren't overloaded with LD, then maybe Gio with retention would have worked.

I could see a fit in PIT. Something like Kadri+E Johnson for Letang+_____ (McCann? Zucker?). Doesn't seem quite right...but gives each team some elements the other is missing.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:33 PM   #13430
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
It's tough to see a Kadri to CGY deal that makes any sense for both sides. His 1x4.5M contract is exceptional value, and it doesn't make any sense for Calgary to pay a premium for a 1 year player. If COL weren't overloaded with LD, then maybe Gio with retention would have worked.

I could see a fit in PIT. Something like Kadri+E Johnson for Letang+_____ (McCann? Zucker?). Doesn't seem quite right...but gives each team some elements the other is missing.

Letang, Malkin and Crosby are pretty much confirmed to be going nowhere for the rest of their careers. I believe Letang said they've discussed it and want to be together until the end. I think it's a fair idea trade wise, but it seem like the Pens will work around their big three. If I were Burke I'd be itching to trade Letang as he hasn't been the same player for awhile.
Old 06-13-2021, 05:35 AM   #13431
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok. If the flames decide to crack the proverbial egg here, I hope to see something like this:

- Monahan + pelletier for Connor brown + 10th overall

- tkachuk+valimaki+Ruzicka for Eichel+ collin Miller

Sign Joel armia, Michael stone

Gaudreau-eichel-armia
Mangiapane-lindholm-brown
Lucic-backlund-dube
Ritchie-ryan-gawdin

Gio-tanev
Hanfin-andersson
Mackey-miller
Stone

Markstrom
Then hopefully draft guenther+sillinger this year.
Old 06-13-2021, 06:25 AM   #13432
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Ok. If the flames decide to crack the proverbial egg here, I hope to see something like this:

- Monahan + pelletier for Connor brown + 10th overall

- tkachuk+valimaki+Ruzicka for Eichel+ collin Miller

Sign Joel armia, Michael stone

Gaudreau-eichel-armia
Mangiapane-lindholm-brown
Lucic-backlund-dube
Ritchie-ryan-gawdin

Gio-tanev
Hanfin-andersson
Mackey-miller
Stone

Markstrom
Then hopefully draft guenther+sillinger this year.
Don’t get the Monahan trade.
Sean’s better than Brown and Pelletier at this point is better than anyone drafted at 10... weird proposal.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2021, 07:11 AM   #13433
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Sean’s better than Brown and Pelletier at this point is better than anyone drafted at 10... weird proposal.

It’s saves a bunch of cap, it’s protection if Monny never fully recovers from his assortment of injuries, and it’s debatable if Pelletier is better than the 10oa.

I expect the Flames would jump at this trade unless they know that Monny will likely recover and/or they value Pelletier higher that the prospect experts, answers we simply don’t know.

Monny’s value is a real wild card. It may be a simple matter as doctors looking at his chart and knowing there is a very good chance he will recover from his injuries, it may be a simple matter of doctors looking at his chart and knowing he likely will never be the same player, or it might be something he needs to prove by playing after the surgery. I have no idea of the answer to that. I expect it’s more likely to be door #3, a wait and see approach, which means he’s not moved in the off season, at least not for decent value.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2021, 08:37 AM   #13434
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Yeah, its a terrible proposal. It's that time of year when draft picks are the most important thing ever and we should be giving away our assets for those draft picks, because high draft picks = success! Just ask Edmonton and Buffalo as they have owned the high draft pick market this past decade! Frankly, if you can't get Connor Brown and the 10th over pick for Monahan, with a very small add (like one of our tiny B or C level prospects), then you don't make the trade. Monahan is still highly regarded and would be of interest to any team. He's a center that plays in the dirty spaces, knows how to find holes in coverage, and can finish. If PL Dubois can recoup Laine and Rosolivic, Monahan should be able to recoup something similar. Brown is not even remotely close to the value of Monahan.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2021, 09:41 AM   #13435
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

We're on Kadri's No Trade List. He already vetoed a trade here.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:48 AM   #13436
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
We're on Kadri's No Trade List. He already vetoed a trade here.
I think he vetoe'd the trade largely so he could stay in Toronto. Which didn't happen anyways. So now he could be more open to it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2021, 10:43 AM   #13437
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

As painful as it was to lose Brodie for nothing I couldn’t be happier that the trade fell through. Kadri is a selfish player and at the worst possible times for his teams he pulls garbage and shows no respect for his opponents. No thank you.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:02 AM   #13438
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Yeah, its a terrible proposal. It's that time of year when draft picks are the most important thing ever and we should be giving away our assets for those draft picks, because high draft picks = success! Just ask Edmonton and Buffalo as they have owned the high draft pick market this past decade! Frankly, if you can't get Connor Brown and the 10th over pick for Monahan, with a very small add (like one of our tiny B or C level prospects), then you don't make the trade. Monahan is still highly regarded and would be of interest to any team. He's a center that plays in the dirty spaces, knows how to find holes in coverage, and can finish. If PL Dubois can recoup Laine and Rosolivic, Monahan should be able to recoup something similar. Brown is not even remotely close to the value of Monahan.
For the record that trade is predicated on guenther falling to 10 and I got blasted for holding your same opinion only last week. I think Monahan is worth brown + 10 alone. But brown does have good contract.

Also seems people value pelletier a bit more than I do
Old 06-13-2021, 11:19 AM   #13439
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Letang, Malkin and Crosby are pretty much confirmed to be going nowhere for the rest of their careers. I believe Letang said they've discussed it and want to be together until the end. I think it's a fair idea trade wise, but it seem like the Pens will work around their big three. If I were Burke I'd be itching to trade Letang as he hasn't been the same player for awhile.

* Checks stats. 45 pts in 55 games, +19 and then 6 pts in 6 games in the playoffs

Nice problem to have
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2021, 11:23 AM   #13440
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think he vetoe'd the trade largely so he could stay in Toronto. Which didn't happen anyways. So now he could be more open to it.

Technically correct.

Maybe he would be open to coming here to make one final throat slash gesture when Gio hangs them up

The guy is a loser who has at least 6 suspensions related to head contact and still doesn’t get it.

No thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread