Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Should CP allow ticket sales over face value?
Yes, allow over face value 260 46.35%
No, face value should be the max on CP 301 53.65%
Voters: 561. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2019, 03:11 PM   #41
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Voted no because my biggest concern is that it then potentially attracts non-contributors to the forum just because they are trying to scalp tickets and they know they can hit their demographic on CP - and then the Buy/Sell forum just becomes Kijiji V2.

If you've ever tried to buy tickets on here there are already dozens of member only on here to sell tickets whom have super low post counts. Really shouldn't matter.

Like someone else said. Make it face value or total anarchy (lol).
rohara66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:12 PM   #42
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

CP gets to keep 10%.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:15 PM   #43
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having bought from many STHs here, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be allowed to choose their own prices.

Plus, it's the playoffs. There's a lottery just to buy tickets. It's kind of a given that you may have to look harder to get seats.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #44
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
If you've ever tried to buy tickets on here there are already dozens of member only on here to sell tickets whom have super low post counts. Really shouldn't matter.

Like someone else said. Make it face value or total anarchy (lol).
That's kind of the point though. Today we have some of that...but it's naturally limited because we don't let people sell above face value. Open it up and you will see it just become Kijiji V2 and you lose the whole benefit of CP Buy/Sell which is meant to be more trustworthy than Kijiji.

If we are going to open it up to letting people sell above face value - then I say we put limitations on who can take advantage of that - from both a buyer and seller perspective.

Sure open it up. But if Bingo and Co. are going to do that then I'd rather the people that can take advantage of it actually contribute to CP in other ways than just the buy/sell forum. And that goes for being able to buy discounted tickets too - have the whole ticket exchange area limited to posters that have been around here longer and actually have contributed.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #45
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Limit it only to posters who voted in the 20th round of last summer's prospect ranking. That will filter out the bandwagoners who can't tell a Sveningsson from a Zavgorodny!
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #46
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think I could ever go into the ticket exchange thread if I knew Bronco man was there.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #47
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is a very fair point.

Think the key though is we need to still somehow limit it to actual CalgaryPuck contributors.

We don't want the trusted CP Buy/Sell forum just to be flooded with less trustworthy scalpers trying to leverage the marketplace if it gets opened up to being able to sell above Face Value. Because that would be bad for both the buyers and sellers on this site.
I'd also hate for a STH sell at face value to have the ticket resold for profit elsewhere.
trust still has to be an element.

and I guess check the join date of the seller (or buyer as it may be) before you make a transaction.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #48
zztim81
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

As much as I would love to buy face value playoff tickets, it's a free market, let people charge what they want or can get.
zztim81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:33 PM   #49
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'm of the opinion that the face value restriction should remain in place during the regular season; however, it should be lifted in the playoffs in favour of a maximum price of twice the face value.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:48 PM   #50
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Allow over face value, but make putting face value in the thread title mandatory?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #51
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullr View Post
Post your tickets elsewhere if you are going to inflate the prices.

Also the poll has a conflict of interest as the people who currently resell their tickets on Calgarypuck are going to vote yes to inflating pricing.
And the people who are buying will vote the opposite way.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:54 PM   #52
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have a problem with scalping but I voted no because I think it's best to keep CP fan friendly.

I will be surprised if fans will have much of a chance to get above printed value on tickets. The Flames pricing is already very high which pretty much eliminates most scalping opportunities. I think the Flames are going to have a hard time selling out the 1st round if they play any of the potential wild card teams. 2nd round would be a different story if they make it that far.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:56 PM   #53
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I do buy tickets regularly here, and I voted yes to allow going over face value - but only for playoff tickets.

I know if I want to get playoff tickets I will have to pay a premium. But if I am going to pay over face value, I would rather let a fellow CPer make extra, rather than profiting the Denver Broncos guy in front of the Stampede train station...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:04 PM   #54
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As a season ticket holder I have listed here a while back but most of my seats are spoken for before the season gets going. For playoffs, I have no problem getting well over face value on other sites so that's where I sell them. I would gladly post them here for anyone who want's to pay more, but that hasn't been an option and I respect it. It just doesn't make sense to me that we as a community need to go elsewhere (buyers and sellers) to do what we could do here with a much higher sense of safety because we "know" each other. I'm ok with whatever is decided...
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theslymonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 04:19 PM   #55
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

If two people agree on a price, how is that a problem? And if the ticket tax / markup can be avoided, everybody wins.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:32 PM   #56
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I feel the same way about this as I do about tickets for music concerts, plays, comedy shows and other sports events, the ticket has a face value and that is what it should be sold for, no one should be profiteering from sellling on a ticket. I don't care about market value, the ticket price is the price, you should not be profiteering from something you chose to pay for previously, if you can't attend then don't buy a ticket.
Sorry for the rant but I have missed out on attending too many events due to tickets selling out before they even go on sale to see them at an inflated price 10 minutes later.
Just for the record I am not in a position to buy playoff tickets, I live alittle too far.

Edit: sorry this came over all snappy but not my intention. The whole reselling of tickets is a personal hate but I don't mean to speak badly of anyone on CP.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:45 PM   #57
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have sold a few tickets on here before, but I am against posting on here for over face value. There are many other places people can use to sell for over face value.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:56 PM   #58
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Keep tickets on CP about Flames fans. If you want to make money, you can do StubHub, ticketexchange, TikTik etc

Having said that, the community should respect that. Don’t offer to buy if you can’t buy at FaceValue. People low balling is the worst

Maybe a compromise? No more or less the 20% of FV
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:00 PM   #59
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Voted no because my biggest concern is that it then potentially attracts non-contributors to the forum just because they are trying to scalp tickets and they know they can hit their demographic on CP - and then the Buy/Sell forum just becomes Kijiji V2.
Given how difficult it is to actually register here, anyone simply looking to sell tickets would find Stubhub, Kijiji or Ticketmaster far easier.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:08 PM   #60
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What is meant by “face value” ? That seems to change all the time. It seems that when the Flames went to airplane seat pricing there was no longer a “face value”, as a result The term no longer has any relevance. The prices became very fluid, the “face price” for the Minnesota game was a prime example of what happens. They were changing constantly.

Therefore the price on CP, if there was one, was completely arbitrary, in effect creating a “black market” that could be exploited by resellers.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 03-22-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Ace