Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Lion Air Flight JT-610 crashes in the Java sea

51 minutes into flight, the 737 max had 178 people on board. no word if anyone survived.

As far as I know this is the first "max" to crash.

Lion Air crash
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:32 PM   #2
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The sudden acceleration at the same time as the sudden drop in altitude does not sound good for finding any potential survivors.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:41 PM   #3
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was some sort of problem 2 minutes into the flight but not a word from the crew to the tower. no mayday, nothing. they should find the boxes to the aircraft though as it went down in only 100 feet of water.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:16 AM   #4
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
There was some sort of problem 2 minutes into the flight but not a word from the crew to the tower. no mayday, nothing. they should find the boxes to the aircraft though as it went down in only 100 feet of water.

The Aviation Herald is reporting that there was at least one call to return to Jakarta:

Quote:
Indonesia's KNKT (aka NTSC) reported the crew requested to return to Jakarta shortly after takeoff, when the aircraft climbed through 2000-3000 feet MSL about 3 minutes after takeoff, the request was granted by ATC.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #5
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I am more than a little freaked out about flying in and around SE Asia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:26 AM   #6
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I am more than a little freaked out about flying in and around SE Asia.
Just wait until you get in a car or ferry in those areas. You will quickly learn to appreciate flying even if it is a bit sketchy there.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:03 AM   #7
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that more details of the Lion Air crash are coming out, it is worthwhile to bump this thread and add new links.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/20/lion-air-pilots-were-looking-at-handbook-when-plane-crashed

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/21/world/asia/lion-air-crash-families-lawsuits.html
Old 04-01-2019, 06:17 AM   #8
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Three months after the Lion Air plane her husband was piloting plunged into the sea, Garima Sethi sat with senior officials at the Indonesian carrier in January and urged them - again - to ground the Boeing 737 Max 8."

https://www.news18.com/news/auto/wid...s-2084797.html
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/nobo...oubles-2015801
Old 04-01-2019, 07:03 AM   #9
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

regardless of the training, it is hard to imagine having the focus to read a manual as the plane is heading towards the earth/water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
Old 04-04-2019, 06:10 AM   #10
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Accident investigators in Indonesia, home of Lion Air, and the U.S., where Boeing Co., the plane’s manufacturer, is based, have been examining the work that a Florida repair shop previously performed on the so-called angle-of-attack sensor, according to briefing documents prepared for Indonesia’s parliament."
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-02/faulty-737-sensor-from-lion-air-crash-linked-to-u-s-repair-shop
Tsawwassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:42 AM   #11
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Indonesian Report Blames Faulty Boeing Design and Lion Air Staff
https://interestingengineering.com/i...lion-air-staff
https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../28/546726.htm
Old 10-28-2019, 10:14 AM   #12
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I am confused about the wording about the wanring light:

Quote:
The 737 MAX has a warning light that would have shown that the faulty sensor was disagreeing with the working sensor on the other side of the aircraft's nose. But a software bug meant that the warning light was working only if Lion Air has purchased a package of equipment Boeing sold only as an option.

Is that to say that there was a warning indicator on the plane, but it wasn't doing anything, i.e. appearing that there was no disagreement between the two sensors pilots would assume everything was in order - or the warning indicator light just physically wasn't there, so the pilots might have suspected something was wrong but without the warning light would be unsure.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #13
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post

Is that to say that there was a warning indicator on the plane, but it wasn't doing anything, i.e. appearing that there was no disagreement between the two sensors pilots would assume everything was in order - or the warning indicator light just physically wasn't there, so the pilots might have suspected something was wrong but without the warning light would be unsure.
There are 2 sensors available, but the second one was being sold as an option and most airlines didn't buy it. That second sensor is there for redundancy.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #14
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post

I believe the Angle Of Attack disagree indicator (which would illuminate when there was enough of a difference between the 2 sides) would only illuminate if the AOA indicator (a gauge that shows the AOA) was purchased.

I think the biggest issue for me is not having any redundancy for MCAS. It should never have been designed to use AOA from one side only. Modern airline systems are all about redundancy.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:32 PM   #15
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

All the Max’s have 2 AOA’s, but not all of them have an AOA disagree indication, and the MCAS didn’t use data from the #2 AOA.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:10 AM   #16
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
All the Max’s have 2 AOA’s, but not all of them have an AOA disagree indication, and the MCAS didn’t use data from the #2 AOA.
Yes that appears this is correct which is ridiculous in itself but where does the data go from the #2 angle of attack sensor? Is it just a dud put there to fill a hole in the fuse?

Also, for about 10 years now I wondered why the AOAS is still so crude? It's not much more than a weather vane. you would think with today's technology they could make one that didn't have to be outside in the elements.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:54 AM   #17
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes that appears this is correct which is ridiculous in itself but where does the data go from the #2 angle of attack sensor? Is it just a dud put there to fill a hole in the fuse?

Also, for about 10 years now I wondered why the AOAS is still so crude? It's not much more than a weather vane. you would think with today's technology they could make one that didn't have to be outside in the elements.
The difficulty is making it independent of inertia. Everything inside the plane would be relying on another instrument to calculate angle of attack.

Independence and direct measurement are some of the key rules when designing instrumented safety systems.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:29 AM   #18
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus, saw this bump and post #1 and thought another boeing jet had gone down.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #19
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Both AOA’s provide info to the flight data computers, but not to the MCAS system specifically.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:12 PM   #20
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know they won't be punished for this but Boeing needs to be punished for attempting to pass a 737 Max 8 as not being fundamentally different to fly than a standard 737. They changed the engines and as a result had to implement software to avoid having to certify the 737 Max 8 as a new aircraft. They intentionally deceived the FAA but I guess that counts for nothing.