Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-22-2019, 05:38 PM   #41
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Because it can happen. Imagine if Flames missed out on the playoffs but had more points than the third place team in the Central. You are cool with that happening?
The schedules aren’t balanced though, right down to the division level. For example, Calgary and SJ are tops in the west right now. Some people are saying it’s not right that the “top” two teams in the West might play in round 2 versus 3 (regardless of any positive vibes Vegas is getting).

But the fact of the matter is, because the schedules aren’t balanced means that a teams point totals from division to division aren’t apples to apples comparisons. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying the divisional format might not allow a weaker team in while a stronger team misses....but using points totals to determine who’s the better who deserves to be in in this format isn’t accurate. If the schedules were balanced and they still used the division format, that be a bigger issue.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 06:12 PM   #42
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Because it can happen. Imagine if Flames missed out on the playoffs but had more points than the third place team in the Central. You are cool with that happening?
The part I don't get is why conferences matter to you but divisions do not? Why would it bother me more if a team in the Central made the playoffs over the Flames than a team in the Metro making it over the Flames?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:56 PM   #43
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
The part I don't get is why conferences matter to you but divisions do not? Why would it bother me more if a team in the Central made the playoffs over the Flames than a team in the Metro making it over the Flames?
Hey, I am all for conferences meaning nothing as well but the NHL will never do it for travel reasons
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:12 PM   #44
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The unbalanced schedule is the only thing I don't like. Hopefully it won't be an issue anymore once we get to 32 teams.

Weird as it may seem, I'd consider a tie-breaker in relation to games against teams from the opposite conference (whether it's wins, goals scored, or goal differential). This works because it guarantees a balanced comparison (1 home and 1 away with each team). It also gives a tiny boost to the importance of those games, which are otherwise the least important on the schedule.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote