Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J79 View Post
It really would've

- 50/50 chance
- 2 teams that play an attacking style
- Ajax and Spurs fans have a friendly history together
- The homecoming of Christian, Jan, Toby and Davinson would be an awesome moment
- It would be a great away game to go to

Perhaps if Ronaldo is injured we might have a chance against Juve, otherwise I don't see us beating them.
Our track record against Italian teams isn't great either.

Like Johan Cruyff once said about Italian teams: 'They can't beat you, but you can lose to them'
I'm a big fan of Ajax and I think Ajax/Liverpool would have been an absolute shootout, it would have been great to watch!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #682
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Ajax has a chance for sure - Juventus has not been invincible this season so far in the Champions League.

Should be a good tie.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:09 AM   #683
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

City Spurs is the real match to watch though, I think whoever comes out of that one is going to take on an exhausted opponent and has a really good shot at the finals.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #684
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of exhausted, I'm sure we'll be exhausted of City/Spurs. They play April 9th, 17th, AND 20th (PL). Thankfully Spurs are out of the FA Cup or we might get four times really quick.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #685
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Speaking of exhausted, I'm sure we'll be exhausted of City/Spurs. They play April 9th, 17th, AND 20th (PL). Thankfully Spurs are out of the FA Cup or we might get four times really quick.
Sorry man, I almost never tire of watching Spurs lose so its all good over here.

And I'm not even an Arsenal fan who hates them!

Old 03-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #686
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the feeling they're going to win this tie. I think it helps bigly they get to host the first leg, if they can replicate what Liverpool did last year (namely keeping a clean sheet) they are in really good shape. We saw in Dortmund they can play Mourinho ball well.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #687
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
This is why I didn't want to draw them. I figured that would happen because we always seem to draw the team we play in the league in things like the FA Cup or League Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Sorry man, I almost never tire of watching Spurs lose so its all good over here.

And I'm not even an Arsenal fan who hates them!
I think we'll win a game or more out of these three. I could see it being 1-1-1 there, and I'm just not sure which of the three I would choose for the win/loss. I mean the league is gone, but that loss could be painful for CL qualification. I think I'd take advancing to the semis and hopefully beyond, but it's tough.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #688
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Didnt they change the rule that both winners get in and it doesnt effect the league places?
The rule has been that no association can have more than five teams in the CL.

To the best of my knowledge that hasn't changed.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:17 AM   #689
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry to use the Daily Mail, but the WSJ is paywalling the article. Still feels like a breakaway superleague is the inevitable end game, primarily because even the big teams outside the Premier League don't make enough TV money.

Quote:
The biggest clubs in Europe will put forward a change in the format of the Champions League in talks with UEFA on Tuesday.

UEFA chiefs will meet with the European Club Association — which includes the 'Big Six' from the Premier League, and Everton, Leicester City, and Newcastle — in Switzerland.

According to the Wall Street Journal, there will be discussions over potentially implementing promotion and relegation across Super Groups.

Games being held on weekends rather than in mid-week may also be on the cards.

The teams — who are led by Juventus chief Andrea Agnelli — want to improve the global appeal of the Champions League and streamline the competition.

UEFA are currently under pressure from the top sides in Europe to hand out more prize money and a greater share of the revenue from TV.

There is an agreement in place between the teams and UEFA until 2024.

But changes are likely to take place amid ongoing pressure on UEFA. There is an ongoing fear of a breakaway European Super League.

According to the Sun, Leicester, Everton and Newcastle would all hope to be involved in any shake-up of European competition, which may involve playing in a division below the main league and vying for promotion.

A UEFA spokesman said: 'We can confirm there'll be an informal brainstorming session regarding club competitions post-2024.'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...promotion.html
Old 03-19-2019, 10:52 AM   #690
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well....Patrice Evra is insane...

Quote:
Paris Saint-Germain are considering all possible legal action to take before making a decision on whether to pursue Patrice Evra following his latest attack on the Ligue 1 leaders

Following the game, his former Monaco teammate Jerome Rothen accused Evra of a "lack of respect" and Evra replied with the threat: "Next time I see you, I'm going to slap you in the face."

"Here it is Manchester," Evra was filmed saying in the back seat of a taxi on Sunday. "Stop supporting teams who will never win.

"Even my cousin who is in the front [of the car] is p----- off. Paris, you are some f----ts, some f----ts, I'm telling you. We [United] put our D team [against PSG] and we did you. Some kids played -- they used to clean my boots. They don't even have sperm [yet]. Paris, you are some p---ies."

Evra finished his video by reminding Rothen: "I will f---ing slap you in the face."
http://global.espn.com/football/pari...d-evra-sources

Nice guy...

Old 03-19-2019, 12:21 PM   #691
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

man I love Evra. He's freaking insane and the "######" comments are indefensible, but he was also needlessly attacked after the game for celebrating the United victory because he's French. Like, he's played for United, Marseille and Monaco, but is supposed to support PSG? Give me a break. Rothen and the French media are sad hypocrites, and PSG ... well, their game against Marseille was delayed because those spoiled brats fans had a boycot lined up because they lost against United. Such a sad plastic project fueled by blood money, but yeah, keep talking about values lol.

throw the book at Evra for the "######" comment, he deserves that. But beyond that? Rothen can go pound sand. Also funny that Cantona, who celebrated just as hard next to Evra, wasn't called out like that. I wonder why.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #692
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
This is why I didn't want to draw them. I figured that would happen because we always seem to draw the team we play in the league in things like the FA Cup or League Cup.

I think we'll win a game or more out of these three. I could see it being 1-1-1 there, and I'm just not sure which of the three I would choose for the win/loss. I mean the league is gone, but that loss could be painful for CL qualification. I think I'd take advancing to the semis and hopefully beyond, but it's tough.
Well I fell like the most Spurs thing to do would be to beat City in the CL, only to lose in the Semi-Finals of the CL, while also then losing to City in the league and hurting their 2019/2020 CL chances.

Always very Spurs to win while also somehow losing at the same time.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #693
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re: Man United vs. Barca

I think we're all really missing the bigger question here:

If Barca are winning at the Camp Nou do the Spanish supporters regale United with their patented "Ole! Ole! Ole!" Victory chant?

It is a quandary.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:45 PM   #694
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Barcelona are open to selling Philippe Coutinho should they receive a bid upwards of £90 million, despite the Brazil international's desire to stay.

Coutinho has been in and out of the starting lineup this season, and was even booed by his own supporters during a 3-1 victory over Rayo Vallecano. The 26-year-old has been linked with a move away and while there have been no official bids.
http://global.espn.com/football/socc...of-90m-sources

Old 03-22-2019, 05:05 PM   #695
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can't see any club offering that sort of money for him.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:59 AM   #696
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

wowzah ... €80m fee.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1110938685875408897
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 11:16 AM   #697
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the Germans invaded France and not the other way around. Expensive, but him and Pavard will be great for Bayern.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:37 AM   #698
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bayern are going to be revamping their squad, so lots of cash going out pretty quickly here.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #699
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

80 for Hernandez is pretty crazy, but 115 for Pavard + Hernandez is not that bad. Gives you a couple of CB options and also RB and LB cover.

I'd expect them to invest another 100m+ in a couple attackers, probably Werner being one of them. He's not good enough and not a good fit, but you just know that the combination of being German and relatively cheap (contract expires next year) is enough for them to sign him.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:22 AM   #700
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dortmund, with a chance to basically clinch the Bundesliga today, down 4-0 at half to Bayern. Thanks for showing up lol.