Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2019, 07:54 AM   #3241
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
Ottawa's Confederation Line is low floor. Trillium line is high floor, but that was started quite a few years ago, using an already built rolling stock that was intended for another system.
Right. I was confusing the projects in Ottawa.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:29 AM   #3242
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Would it matter? Wouldn't you be buying the March pass anyway?

I just got mine yesterday haha.

No, just because we're going away for a bit this month, so it wasn't worth getting a pass. Just using up some old tickets instead.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:06 AM   #3243
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Many new high floor projects are still happening. In Canada, Ottawa's new system is high floor and I believe the new line in Toronto, Cross town or whatever it is called, is high floor. The new project in Montreal that is going to the airport is high floor.
The newly opened Ion line in Kitchener/Waterloo is low floor and the new Valley Line under construction in Edmonton is also low floor.

That said it would have been nice to go automated for the Green Line like Vancouver has but that would require full grade separation (which I still feel is the right option going up Centre Street)
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:58 AM   #3244
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Many new high floor projects are still happening. In Canada, Ottawa's new system is high floor and I believe the new line in Toronto, Cross town or whatever it is called, is high floor. The new project in Montreal that is going to the airport is high floor.
As noted above, Ottawa's Confederation line is low floor. The original Trillium Line (originally called "O-Train" or "Capital Railway") is a bit of an anomaly. It uses Diesel Multiple Units (DMUs) like you would see on commuter rail or regional rail in other cities, is only single-track in most areas, but operates like an LRT with all day service. The rolling stock used is also considered low floor.

The Line 5 Eglinton Crosstown in Toronto is also low floor and will be using either Bombardier Flexity Freedom or Alstom Citadis Spirit (same as Ottawa) rolling stock. Check out the video below.

Spoiler!

Montreal's REM line will be closer in operation to Vancouver's Skytrain or the new Sydney Metro and will use Alstom Metropolis rolling stock. Different kettle of fish altogether. High floor vs. low floor distinction is less consequential because its a fully automated light metro. It's closer to a full subway than an LRT with some in-street operations.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:22 PM   #3245
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This probably better served by the MAX type bus routes than dedicated track. Demand for the circle route just isn’t there.
My vision isn't a circle. It's that N connects to NE via airport, and SE connects to S, transfer-free. Given that the SE terminus and airport are and are expected to be major employment hubs, I think there would be significant value in tying them to the adjacent lines.

Addendum: if making the new line high-floor is cost prohibitive, a linear transfer station would accomplish a similar goal. I think it would be worth at least planning for as a possibility.

Last edited by SebC; 03-01-2019 at 03:37 PM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 04:05 PM   #3246
mk074
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Is there a rule on February bus pas validity into March? I used a ticket today, but the bus driver said you can the Feb pass for a few more days. She knows me, so I don’t know if being nice or if this is policy because of the shorter month?
I have forgotten to buy a pass on a few occasions for the 1st and have used last months pass no problem. Don't think its specific to February.. or if its an 'official' rule. But its always worked
mk074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:31 AM   #3247
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Whoever engineered 9th ave for the new BRT line has very clearly never ever ever driven that section of road. Ever.
Added a light. Reduced to formally one through lane under the CP bridge. Right lanes must turn right, onto almost unused routes. And no advanced arrows.
Well done. Such a wonderful transit development has managed to make traffic flow worse, all the way through forest lawn and into Main Street Inglewood. So impressed.
And all this for 2 buses, that half the time cross the entire length of the transitway in tandem.

CT is just so frustrating. The published schedules for the 1 and the MAX state there should be a bus passing by the 9th Ave Station every 6 minutes in morning rush. In February, of the 9 or 10 days I took the bus, at least 6 times the 1 and Max arrived simultaneously. It has to be the worst run transit authority in Canada. I can’t decide if they are just spectacularly, woefully incompetent, or just couldn’t give a flying F about anything. Just mind boggling.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:55 AM   #3248
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
It has to be the worst run transit authority in Canada.
When I moved to Vancouver it was shocking to me how acceptable it is to be unable to get on a bus due to overcrowding. At least Calgary tries to scale its service to demand.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:47 AM   #3249
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am surprised that there are only 470 buses in the whole city. For some reason, I thought there were more buses on the road.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...lity-1.5054006
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:02 AM   #3250
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I am surprised that there are only 470 buses in the whole city. For some reason, I thought there were more buses on the road.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...lity-1.5054006
I believe that means that all 470 busses to be stored at that facility will be stored inside. At Spring Gardens, they certainly aren’t all inside.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #3251
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

The fleet currently:

- ~750 40' buses, with 39 40 foot CNG units on order.
- 93 60' articulated buses.
- ~190 community shuttles

These are stored at the Anderson Garage, Victoria Park Transit Centre, Spring Gardens Transit Centre and the new Stoney Transit Facility.

Last edited by frinkprof; 03-13-2019 at 04:27 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #3252
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Southwest Calgary Bus Review

Just as with the other MAX routes that began last year, the new MAX Gold (or Yellow, Brown, Polka Dot, whichever, name not finalized) BRT line will bring with it changes to the surrounding bust network. The following routes are proposed to be altered or removed outright:

6, 7, 13, 16, 18, 20, 39, 47, 56, 79, 80, 81, 84, 93, 94, 112, 149, 302, 411, 414.

The most major proposed changes are that the 18 will be deleted (the new MAX route basically replaces it); 56 and 93 turn into fill-the-gaps type routes that the MAX routes don't quite serve on a local level; 16, 79, 80, 84, 112 are deleted and the areas served by a bunch of new routes that rejig the configuration and service delivery a bit.

Anyway, check out the proposed changes and upcoming open house information here:

https://engage.calgary.ca/routereview
Old 06-26-2019, 10:43 AM   #3253
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The City has started the public engagement phase for the planning of the transit connection between the Blue and Green lines through the Airport. You can view the options and provide feedback here: http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...rttransitstudy

Here's the plan: https://www.calgary.ca/engage/Docume...-Phase-Two.pdf

Also, today is the first day of a three-month trial of a new mobile ticket app: http://www.calgarytransit.com/MyFare

Because this is a trial run, it is only available on four routes for now: 4, 38, 149 and 150. Tickets bought through the app will be able to be used on other routes and the C-Train. In order to access the app, you need to be a regular rider on one of the 4 routes and agree to use it regularly during the test.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:56 AM   #3254
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting fantasy, but this has to be at least two decades away. Maybe they could do the first stage from the blue line, but I'd be surprised if we even have a green line past 16th ave 10 years.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:00 AM   #3255
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5430501/c...n-line-tunnel/
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:05 AM   #3256
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
Ah crap. I hope they don't decide to go above ground. I understand the fear of cost overruns, but that would be a HUGE mistake to go above ground.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:06 AM   #3257
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of the Green Line, Council looks to be reconsidering tunneling which would be a huge mistake IMHO.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:10 AM   #3258
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Speaking of the Green Line, Council looks to be reconsidering tunneling which would be a huge mistake IMHO.

Dude.. Literally two posts above you
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #3259
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Dude.. Literally two posts above you
Yeah, it wasn't there when I started my post but noticed it after I submitted.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 12:47 PM   #3260
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old men yelling at trains...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1143937776103985152

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings