Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 11-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #21
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please no. This is a nightmare for the taxpayer. The cost of the Quebec program is one of the highest if not the highest in Canada and it's the taxpayer who foots the bill. This is one program we cannot afford.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:47 PM   #22
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think a daycare program makes a lot more sense than most other government programs.

Encourages more people to work, making Alberta more productive and bringing in more tax dollars.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:48 PM   #23
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
amusing numbers. I pay over $1500 a month for my 2.5 year old daughter to go to daycare 5 days a week.

that average must include kids that are only in for 1-2 days a week.

As an aside, I'm sure the fact that I have a good job will exempt me from any savings. and there will be a "daycare premium" added onto my fees. Thanks Notley.
Hey, I'm just going by the national averages number for Alberta.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:49 PM   #24
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Hey, I'm just going by the national averages number for Alberta.
Right. I was just pointing out that one number likely includes non-full time kids, and the other doesn't
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:51 PM   #25
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Almost like it's a pilot project
What is there really to pilot in this case though? They aren't doing anything groundbreaking or innovative. It is just subsidized daycare.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:53 PM   #26
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Please no. This is a nightmare for the taxpayer. The cost of the Quebec program is one of the highest if not the highest in Canada and it's the taxpayer who foots the bill. This is one program we cannot afford.
I think that Quebec is studying how to reduce costs to daycare because their program isn't affordable anymore.

Of course I have a plan when elected for free day care. That's right vote for me and I will give you free daycare on the following conditions

1) does your child have a fun crafts and skills err skill, preferences will be for children with exceptional leather sewing skills. Mechanical skills that include small hands that can get into tight mechanical spaces. Good cognitive skills for figuring out how to clear jams. Or the ability to operate light machinery like miniture tractors or shovels.

If your kids don't have these skills they will go to a secondary day care.

Skill requirements would be a big personality and natural on camera skills. They must also be proficient in mixed martial arts and parents will have to sign a release for television.

If they don't have any skills at all its off to the deep pit for them.

Now get back to work those wallets have to be in hong kong by morning.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #27
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Doesn't it make more sense to attack this from the supply side to bring the cost down? For a minimal cost the government could just issue more daycare licenses and encourage out of work people to start daycares, shouldn't be a problem since this is apparently such a lucrative business.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #28
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it even remotely possibly to run a daycare on $25/day/kid?

If it isn't why should it be subsidized to that point?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #29
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great idea. It grinds my gears when women who want to go back to work are forced to stay at home because the day care costs would take up all their income.

Also, this is something that would strongly encourage me to move back to Calgary (if I could find a job). We are currently looking at day care options in Sydney and the cheapest is $95 per day with a 2 year waiting list.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #30
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
I think a daycare program makes a lot more sense than most other government programs.

Encourages more people to work, making Alberta more productive and bringing in more tax dollars.
Except we don't have enough work.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:39 PM   #31
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

You guys are paying $1500+ a month for a child to go to daycare... holy hell! Makes me want to never have kids..
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:39 PM   #32
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
The owner or the daycare by my house drives a $120k AMG Benz, probably a bit of fat can be taken off the cost.
Well it is a business....why should someone give anyone a discount because they chose to have kids and couldn't afford it?

I mean that in the nicest way possible but having a day care is a business not a hobby. If it was easy we would be all driving 120k Mercedes.

There is a need for cheaper alternatives but I'm sure down the road you will get what you pay for and parents will opt out of the cheaper day cares and pay for something more expensive.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #33
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Notley's master plan to wrest equalization payments back from ROC is becoming clearer...
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:45 PM   #34
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Well it is a business....why should someone give anyone a discount because they chose to have kids and couldn't afford it?

I mean that in the nicest way possible but having a day care is a business not a hobby. If it was easy we would be all driving 120k Mercedes.

There is a need for cheaper alternatives but I'm sure down the road you will get what you pay for and parents will opt out of the cheaper day cares and pay for something more expensive.
I don't have any skin in this game, but a business staffed by $15-20/hr folks shouldn't cost $1,500 a month per child. There's a lot of money being made in the current system. How does someone earning $50k a year afford to put their kid in daycare?
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #35
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I don't have any skin in this game, but a business staffed by $15-20/hr folks shouldn't cost $1,500 a month per child. There's a lot of money being made in the current system. How does someone earning $50k a year afford to put their kid in daycare?
I'm not sure, but day care isn't a right. You are not entitled to cheap day care.

if it was so easy to make a day care work that was $500 a month wouldn't the smartest business minded people already have started their own several dozen day cares and raked in all that cash?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #36
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
I'm not sure, but day care isn't a right. You are not entitled to cheap day care.

if it was so easy to make a day care work that was $500 a month wouldn't the smartest business minded people already have started their own several dozen day cares and raked in all that cash?
Never said $500 was the right number, but clearly $1,500 is a bit onerous for the average income. A lot of smart people have clearly made a boat load of money off this for the last while.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:55 PM   #37
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I pay my mother-in-law $150 a month to watch my kid ~3 days a week for 6 hours a day. Win!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2016, 03:56 PM   #38
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I pay my mother-in-law $150 a month to watch my kid ~3 days a week for 6 hours a day. Win!
K that's just elder abuse.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:58 PM   #39
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
WTF. Stilll up to or over 3X the cost in Quebec.
Yeah, the fact that parents who choose to have kids still have to actually pay for their kids is a real tragedy.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #40
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Alberta shows an average day care cost of $789.00 a month. The NDP are proposing what about $550.00 a month. so I'm assuming that they're not going to force cost control, they're going to subsidize to the tune of about 240.00 per month per space.

I don't know how many daycare spaces there are in Alberta, but if I assume 100,000 based on 789,000 kids in this province between the ages of 0 and 14.

So we're going to subsidize 240 per month x 100,000 = 24,000,000 per month x 12 = $288,000,000
What is the economic benefit of increasing the birthrate in AB?

How much cost is there involved in the immigration process and development of immigrant families into successful Albertans vs. that of enabling already established, successful Albertans to have more kids?

The "it costs money so I hate it" argument is simplistic and tired.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post: