Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 02-09-2024, 01:34 AM   #361
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
It feels sacrilegious to even suggest it... but artificial turf has come a long way... it would make sense for the climate we're in. I feel dirty. But I think a business case could be made for it.
One possible solution could be installing a 4G training pitch that can have a bubble during the winter. The bubble would need to be large enough to accommodate some stands but I think they would get more use and could recover more costs from a 4G pitch that could be utilised/rented as an off-season facility.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 06:43 AM   #362
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1755941137477431387

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 06:49 AM   #363
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

This’ll be that GK then?
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 08:50 AM   #364
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Promising development:

Quote:
Speaking on Footy Prime today, Victor Montagliani revealed that he believes Mediapro and CSB have buried the proverbial hatchet between them, which would suggest the OneSoccer cameras – and all the staff who work on the platform – could be back to business as usual, though perhaps under a new broadcast and distribution agreement.
https://northerntribune.ca/mediapro-...liani-comment/

This might be the win-win that we need. I can't see anyone else willing or able to produce the games, especially after the Bell hack and slash yesterday. CSB needs someone to produce the matches, regardless of where they are distributed, and MediaPro does that.

As for distribution - hopefully this means that MediaPro has now been forced to explore more sub-licensing agreements with other broadcasters instead sitting on it waiting for a) a big payday that will never come, or b) more OneSoccer subscriptions.

And call me crazy, but when I watched a Concacaf match on Tuesday, all promo spots, highlights, filler, etc. from CPL seemed to be scrubbed, and the only stuff they were showing was related to the competitions that they still had the rights for (Concacaf). Then on Wednesday's matches there was CPL stuff again.

Maybe OneSoccer doesn't have anything else to fill it with (very possible), but I also don't think that they would be promoting competitions that they were in a legal dispute with. So maybe nothing, but maybe a subtly positive observation.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 02-09-2024 at 08:57 AM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 08:55 AM   #365
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
This’ll be that GK then?
Toffee = sticky hands, which means a good goaltender

I expect a backup goalkeep signing announcement imminently.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 08:57 AM   #366
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toffee can be messy, so I'm going to assume we've signed Messi.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 09:00 AM   #367
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

I have to wonder if Gianstopolos is coming back. Dude probably wants to win a title, knows Cavalry is likely one of (if not the best) chance to win one this year, and is already practicing with the team.

I'd be very happy to let Marco take a few less games this year and go with a 1A/1B situation.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:12 AM   #368
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Toffee = sticky hands, which means a good goaltender

I expect a backup goalkeep signing announcement imminently.
Toffee means Everton, which is probably why it's that GK from their system.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 09:17 AM   #369
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Never heard that. Oh well. Coolio.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:33 AM   #370
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Most likely means Messi is our backup GK next season. No way he displaces Bevan up front.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 09:56 AM   #371
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yesli transferred to Ottawa for a fee plus Noah Verhoeven on loan. IMO Yesli isn't a starting quality GK in this league so I don't know why they'd pay a transfer fee for him. Viscosi has a lot of experience in Europe and is probably a small upgrade on Yesli.

Still think Valour are bottom of the table but I don't think they'll be as embarassingly bad as last year.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1755985904328462735

Old 02-09-2024, 11:03 AM   #372
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah wonder which everton keeper is incoming... they don't really have any great/international caliber youth keepers from what I can see who look to be even at CPL level, but they have a couple blocked 3rd/4th keepers with the 1st team who could genuinely challenge for Carducci for the job in Crellin and Virginia. Both were youth international keepers. Virginia seems to have played with Dias at Sporting briefly, so maybe there is some connection there? Crellin was the england youth keeper for a while and got a few games in league 2 but hasn't played regular games at senior level ever, career seems to have stalled out a bit there so could see him moving too.

Would bet on Crellin if guessing as Virgina has played a couple times for the first team and seems to be a bit higher up in the pecking order there.

Last edited by Matty81; 02-09-2024 at 11:08 AM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 11:03 AM   #373
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Also great news on the TV piece... though I hope that all this drama results in Mediapro paying the league for the rights and anything that gets a game or two onto a more widely available platform would be immense.
Old 02-09-2024, 11:11 AM   #374
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

For Tommy as an Everton fan, signing a player from the Everton academy must be a dream come true

Hopefully he can push Carducci and we have a legit competition for minutes
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 11:11 AM   #375
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Toffee means Everton, which is probably why it's that GK from their system.
No surprise with the Wheeldon lineage with that club.
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 11:22 AM   #376
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jack Barrett it is. 3 appearances with the Everton U-23s this year. Likely a higher quality young keeper than a local kid while not really putting Carducci's spot at risk. Talking to Jake Davis at the pub night it sounded like Holliday would be their League1 Alberta starter this year which makes sense as he can get good minutes and then maybe fight for the backup role next year.

Giansopoulos never made sense as a signing. Guess he'll have to go back to York if he wants a contract this year.

https://twitter.com/CPLCavalryFC/sta...15273348317571

Old 02-09-2024, 11:30 AM   #377
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Lower standard keeper than I expected TBH. Am sure he's had a great schooling but that's basically their 6th string keeper, not even playing for the reserves really, and usually when you see the CPL sign guys from overseas they have youth international pedigree and more of a taste of first team football.

But to be fair he's clearly being signed to be a backup rather than a starter - maybe I unrealistically expected them to sign someone to be more direct competition for Carducci. And hasn't had any real chance to show what he's got yet by playing much so who knows how it will turn out!
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 11:45 AM   #378
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Would rather Gianstopolos, he can at least take pressure off Carducci, especially during the playoffs when Marco seems to be shaky.
Old 02-09-2024, 12:05 PM   #379
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

We really just need someone who can play 5-8 times to keep Marco fresh towards the end of the year

Ideally Jack surprises and takes a leap forward in his development. I don’t think that’s outside the realm of possibility coming from an academy to now his first professional season
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 03:05 PM   #380
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that the club simply does not want to spend a lot of resources on the backup GK with Marco still at the club. Better to deploy those resources elsewhere on the pitch.

I think they want to groom Joe Holliday to eventually be the replacement but he's only 18 and needs minutes at an appropriate level. Don't even know if League1 Alberta is that place but it's really the only option.

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , ftf , soccer