Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-09-2019, 12:03 AM   #121
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You know from a cool perspective, its extremely well made and well done. But I still have a preference to the original fight.

I mean first of all, Obi-Wan was old and out of practice, he probably hadn't fought in years. At the same time, Vader was kind of the same, he wasn't what he was when he fought Obi-Wan on the beaches. And he probably hadn't faced a full Jedi in years.

At the same time, one of the important things that came out of revenge of the sith, was that these two were like brothers, forces pushes and tossing around boxes probably wouldn't have worked.

There was something really elegant about the original movie duel, it was quick and it was efficient.

Just to add on, one of the best light saber fights was still Obi-Wan vs Maul in Rebels where they resisted over doing it and showed what true mastery of the force is.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 12:22 PM   #122
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You know from a cool perspective, its extremely well made and well done. But I still have a preference to the original fight.

I mean first of all, Obi-Wan was old and out of practice, he probably hadn't fought in years. At the same time, Vader was kind of the same, he wasn't what he was when he fought Obi-Wan on the beaches. And he probably hadn't faced a full Jedi in years.

At the same time, one of the important things that came out of revenge of the sith, was that these two were like brothers, forces pushes and tossing around boxes probably wouldn't have worked.

There was something really elegant about the original movie duel, it was quick and it was efficient.
I love the fan version, but for me it really highlights how film making/story telling has evolved both as an art and due to the technologies available at the time.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:08 PM   #123
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

it's cool in isolation, but trying to fit it in with the rest of the footage of Luke's escape is like the special editions where they threw up crappy CGI dinosaurs and hutts in front of the original Mos Eisley scenes. pretty jarring.

it would look more coherent if they also remade Luke/Han/Leia/Chewie's blaster battles with a bunch of shaky cam and slow motion dodges.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #124
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Just to add on, one of the best light saber fights was still Obi-Wan vs Maul in Rebels where they resisted over doing it and showed what true mastery of the force is.

This was one of the most awesome parts of Rebels.
These Jedi duels were so interesting. The Ahsoka v. Vader was pretty cool as well.

I don't know why Disney seems to be taking Star Wars away from any of the Jedi stuff.
Star Wars Resistance, Rogue One, Solo, etc. are all pretty good compared to episode VIII. But I'm finding it hard to be interested in them since they don't have any jedi or force-related story lines.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #125
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
This was one of the most awesome parts of Rebels.
These Jedi duels were so interesting. The Ahsoka v. Vader was pretty cool as well.

I don't know why Disney seems to be taking Star Wars away from any of the Jedi stuff.
Star Wars Resistance, Rogue One, Solo, etc. are all pretty good compared to episode VIII. But I'm finding it hard to be interested in them since they don't have any jedi or force-related story lines.

I don't mind them getting away from the Jedi, it expands the galaxy beyond this war between a few thousand wizards and their enemy a couple of wizards.

I loved Rogue One because it took place after the Jedi purge, and you saw a Force user for less then a minute and he dominated everything. With Solo, same thing.

In a galaxy where there are probably trillions of beings from different species, its nice to see something beyond the Force.

Its funny because in the old republic games even when you play a non force using character, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Sith or a Jedi or a fallen Jedi, and if you went by Star Wars Lore, they'd pretty much kill you in seconds, so its nice to see a show or a movie where all things are kind of equal. And people aren't throwing planets at each other using the Force.

At the same time in Resistance, you know that there are force beings out there manipulating things and by all rights, if they ever appear it would really unbalance things.

I'd love a smuggler trilogy, or a bounty hunter trilogy of movies without the Jedi or the Sith being involved.

At the same time I still want the old republic trilogy where you have the Sith Empire and the Old Republic at war with the shadow of a super powered Emperor lurking in the shadows.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:55 PM   #126
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Footage from inside Disneyland's Galaxy Edge opening May 31st (tomorrow) to the public. Disney World's opening is on August 29.

Last edited by sureLoss; 05-29-2019 at 11:58 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2019, 08:17 AM   #127
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Footage of the queue and some of the ride for Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run.

Could be considered spoilerish (for the ride, not any upcoming movies) so hiding behind spoilers tag.

Spoiler!

Last edited by sureLoss; 05-30-2019 at 01:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2019, 08:25 AM   #128
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That looks awesome

Old 05-30-2019, 03:45 PM   #129
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t wait to experience that in two or three years. No way I’m going any time soon. I read they’re expecting 10 hour waits just to get in. Looks amazing.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:07 PM   #130
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy crap, that looks so fun.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:16 PM   #131
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

When they talked about firing guns, I was hoping that they had movable turrets, that would be the dream.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:11 PM   #132
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I can’t wait to experience that in two or three years. No way I’m going any time soon. I read they’re expecting 10 hour waits just to get in. Looks amazing.
The second ride "Rise of the Resistance" isn't even set to open until later this year. So if anyone is planning on visiting, they should at least wait until that is open.

Disney is really hyping Rise of the Resistance. They claim it is the biggest/most epic attraction they ever built. Reports are it will take 20+ minutes (the actual ride is only 4.5 minutes long) to experience the whole thing.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:38 PM   #133
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Loving the small details Disney is doing to making Galaxy's Edge as immersive as possible.

Signs for restaurants and shops are done in an Alien looking font that if you look at long enough can deciper into English or look up in an app to translate.

All prices listed in "credits" instead of dollars.

Looks like there will be limited to no Disney branding in Galaxy's Edge to help keep the illusion you are not in the park but on another planet. e.g. popcorn served in a plain brown bag instead of a colorful Disney bag with Mickey and Minnie on it.

Real sense of the conflict between the Resistance and first order. Resistance characters hide from stormtroopers

The lightsabre workshop trys to maintain the front that they are a scrap yard to keep the First Order off their backs.

Stormtroopers interact and talk to guests. Bonus they sound exactly like they do in the movies.

Food and drink look and taste alien enough.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:09 AM   #134
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I loved it when the guy tried to take a selfie with ren and the stormtrooper quips "I wouldn't do that"

Someday I'll have to go check it out, but I have a fear about how much money I would spend down there.

That Palpatine robe looked amazing.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:25 AM   #135
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The detail on the life-sized Falcon is amazing.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:30 PM   #136
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Galaxy's Edge looks awesome. Giving them some time to work out the kinks and let the lines die down will only make it more enjoyable.

I'm planning to head down in 2.5 more years, winter 21/22. I think that will be a good time frame.

In other news.. Apparently the actor who played Ackbar was pretty upset with his exit. Star Wars had a way of making us fall in love with these small bit characters. Ackbar was one of those for me. For whatever reason, the look, the voice, his role, he was always one of my favorites. It devastated me how he was just so nonchalantly killed off.

Quote:
Rose also revealed how he was unhappy with what happened afterwards, saying, "We finished all of our bits and they asked me to come down to camera. And I thought, ‘Oh well, maybe they’re going to say thank you for being one of the heritage characters and giving 30 years and all that.’ But what they did was, they gave me a Millennium Falcon sign that had the day and the date on it, the scene number, and they said, ‘Can you look at camera and say 'It's a wrap?' Because that would be really funny.’ … I was actually in tears in the suit because I thought - after everything, after hoping there’d be something, after knowing there wasn't going to be anything else, Ackbar's final moment before he went in to the box was a big joke about ‘It's a wrap.’ They just thought ‘Wouldn’t it be funny?’ And that was the sum total of my life as Ackbar."
https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-last-j...rose-reaction/
Old 06-01-2019, 10:08 PM   #137
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It was funny because I knew it was Ackbar who had this pretty inconsequential death, but he was promptly forgotten by the Leia flying through space scene.

At the end of the day most of the Ackbar lore was delivered in Clone Wars. He was more made famous by one line then anything else, and he had a minor character death that was completely over shadowed.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:14 PM   #138
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Galaxy's Edge looks awesome. Giving them some time to work out the kinks and let the lines die down will only make it more enjoyable.

I'm planning to head down in 2.5 more years, winter 21/22. I think that will be a good time frame.

In other news.. Apparently the actor who played Ackbar was pretty upset with his exit. Star Wars had a way of making us fall in love with these small bit characters. Ackbar was one of those for me. For whatever reason, the look, the voice, his role, he was always one of my favorites. It devastated me how he was just so nonchalantly killed off.

https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-last-j...rose-reaction/
Uhhh.....actually yes. That probably would be funny.

Tim Rose was the dude in the suit, he didnt appreciably demonstrate the Character of Admiral Ackbar.

At least Mayhews didnt have any lines, so how he moved and emoted added to the character.

Ackbar usually sat in a chair.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:27 AM   #139
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Old 06-16-2019, 08:32 AM   #140
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

That sequence doesn’t make it look too crazy crowded there.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote