Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2016, 12:04 PM   #1401
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just change the DNS on my PS4 to any of the hundreds that people post online. I haven't had to change it in a few months and no problems.

What's the benefit of an UnblockUs-type service vs this? Seems a lot less complicated to me.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:27 PM   #1402
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

what are you guys watching on Netflix USA that justifies going through the trouble?
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #1403
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

After really enjoying Narcos, just started watching "Pablo Escobar : Lord of evil". Currently on episode 20 and very satisfied.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffporfirio For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 04:32 PM   #1404
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
what are you guys watching on Netflix USA that justifies going through the trouble?
It's not just the US, which is why I pay for unblock us. There are dozens of titles that are only available in certain regions.

If I'm sitting around with the g/f and we decide to watch a movie, I quickly look it up in the app I have that tracks netflix movies and their regions, switch over in unblock us and am watching the movie within about 2 mins.

It doesn't work so well for movies with subtitles though.

If you want a specific example I recently watched the first 5 seasons of Downton Abbey on Netflix Sweden, I think it was, because Canada only had seasons 1-3 or something stupid.

I will be using it next week, and for a while after, to watch Better Call Saul in real HD with no commercials. Same for Agent Carter. They get added to certain regions the day after they air in the US.

There are also new(ish) releases that other countries get that we don't. It isn't just different variety in the library.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #1405
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

With (Canadian) Netflix, TCM, the library and a small backlog of discs to watch, I find I have tons to watch and generally have a big backlog of movies and TV shows on my Netflix list or on my DVR.

I couldn't imagine wanting to have access to even more content personally.
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #1406
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It's not just the US, which is why I pay for unblock us. There are dozens of titles that are only available in certain regions.

If I'm sitting around with the g/f and we decide to watch a movie, I quickly look it up in the app I have that tracks netflix movies and their regions, switch over in unblock us and am watching the movie within about 2 mins.
Where can I find this app?
Old 02-10-2016, 07:37 PM   #1407
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
Where can I find this app?
A really good site is called moreflicks.com. Just type in a movie or TV show and it will list all of the regions it is available on.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #1408
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I use one called istreamguide. I'm pretty sure I paid for it in the App Store. Updates everyday with new releases. Allows you to sort by region. Search by person or title and has built in genres so if there is a historical drama tag you can click it and it'll bring up all movies tagged the same.

It's not perfect though. It's been wrong a few times and the new releases page often gets cluttered with tv show releasEs of the same show but different seasons.

Personally I think it's been well worth the $4 or $5 I paid.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 09:56 PM   #1409
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
PIA is full VPN and it's no go.
I can confirm this...

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #1410
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Got dinged again using the newer UnblockUs DNS servers. Sent a message to their support to see if they have another workaround.

Have a feeling this will continually be happening for a while.
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:41 AM   #1411
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been using Canadian Netflix for the past few weeks because I couldn't be bothered anymore with the DNS stuff, and I have no problem with the content really. I actually find it has some better, more current, movies, but the TV shows are a little lacking (but not by much).
Old 03-22-2016, 09:14 AM   #1412
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Sounds like Unblockus are swamped with requests on their twitter feed. I've heard they are DMing people with new DNS numbers.

Honestly I'm surprised they haven't found a better workaround already.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:07 PM   #1413
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't want to mention anything in case I jinxed it, but now I have finally been dinged for using Unblock-us. I see they haven't really responded to this yet.

What are the best alternatives. I don't mind Canadian Netflix, but I'm just starting season 6 of Star Trek TNG and I would prefer to finish it.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #1414
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Star Trek TNG is on both Shomi and CraveTV. So instead of paying for a VPN, you could pause Netflix for a month, and subscribe to Shomi (first month free).
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #1415
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
So instead of paying for a VPN,
The pay VPNs are getting dinged too. I can't get through with HMA anymore.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:28 PM   #1416
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Star Trek TNG is on both Shomi and CraveTV. So instead of paying for a VPN, you could pause Netflix for a month, and subscribe to Shomi (first month free).
I do have Crave, but their platform is incredibly frustrating.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 03-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #1417
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I do have Crave, but their platform is incredibly frustrating.
Oh, too bad. What device are you using it on? I've heard (and would expect) that the satellite set-top box interface is slow. I've browsed CraveTV a bit on Apple TV and it works well enough.

Shomi on the PS4 has a few UI oddities, but has worked fairly well for me. I was just suggesting it since it might be less of a hassle than setting up DNS proxies or VPNs.

The Netflix interface is still the best, and is supported on nearly everything. But of course they have cracked down on popular DNS services and VPNs. There is probably an effect where if a VPN service is found to work for Netflix region hopping, it is talked about, and no doubt Netflix quickly notices and blocks their IPs. I imagine setting up a private VPN would be reliable, but not realistic for most, and would only allow a single extra region.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:20 PM   #1418
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, too bad. What device are you using it on? I've heard (and would expect) that the satellite set-top box interface is slow. I've browsed CraveTV a bit on Apple TV and it works well enough.

Shomi on the PS4 has a few UI oddities, but has worked fairly well for me. I was just suggesting it since it might be less of a hassle than setting up DNS proxies or VPNs.

The Netflix interface is still the best, and is supported on nearly everything. But of course they have cracked down on popular DNS services and VPNs. There is probably an effect where if a VPN service is found to work for Netflix region hopping, it is talked about, and no doubt Netflix quickly notices and blocks their IPs. I imagine setting up a private VPN would be reliable, but not realistic for most, and would only allow a single extra region.
I've tried it on android, set top, and streaming through a browser. Streaming has always been spotty on any device other than set top boxes, but the interface in general (across the board) is clunky.

To be honest, I forgot ST TNG was on Crave. Of course I prefer the slick Netflix interface, but I could probably suck it up and watch it on Crave.

I will miss switching so seamlessly through the different regions to get the content I want, but at least it will save me $5 a month.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 03-25-2016, 04:27 PM   #1419
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am sure even with any VPNs or DNS, Netflix could simply check your username and figure that you are changing regions too frequently, so even having a working DNS wouldn't do any good.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:00 PM   #1420
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

playmo.tv has been steady after they got hit on the first round a few weeks back. But like Unblock I think this is just a cat and mouse.

I'll go VPN route if this keeps up, especially since I also have to fix my brothers when it goes down, pain in the butt.