Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 04:04 PM   #81
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
If all we are getting is a new hockey arena with no plans for a new football stadium, I am very much against this.
I can't reveal my source, but the new plan is going to be amazing. Sorry to be cryptic, but there may be something with a sombrero. You'll just have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #82
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I can't reveal my source, but the new plan is going to be amazing. Sorry to be cryptic, but there may be something with a sombrero. You'll just have to wait and see.
Is it going to be a Tequilarena?
Old 02-08-2017, 04:09 PM   #83
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I for one am down for the 'SombreroDome!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-08-2017, 04:26 PM   #84
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It will be a sad day when we move to the new Stadium and I can't get loaded by drinking 6 of the Dome's special draughts.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:27 PM   #85
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Potential Sponsor, right here...

I don't really get this..... what was Plan A, exactly?
Old 02-08-2017, 04:29 PM   #86
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
The best part of that walk is the parade of Stampede Posters and walking by The Grain Academy.
What sadistic parents take their kids for an outing at the Grain Academy?
Hey don't be dissing the Grain Academy! I probably went there at least 6 times growing up with various summer camps and school field trips and enjoyed it every time.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:58 PM   #87
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
Without doing any research, don't the Syracuse football and basketball teams play in the same building?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
Because it would look like this:

Spoiler!

or this:

Spoiler!

Neither of which would be desirable. I just don't think the dimensions would work well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Even with retractable seats, I don't think the geometry would work out.

Someone mentioned Syracuse University -- they basically have a football stadium but cut it in half to do basketball games:

Spoiler!

Given that the priority is on hockey (versus football), I can't see it working with all of the luxury boxes and premium seating you would lose.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2017, 04:58 PM   #88
gilligans_off
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP#26525 View Post
Maybe when you're older you can find out.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gilligans_off For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2017, 05:24 PM   #89
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How is babby formed?
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2017, 05:30 PM   #90
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
It will be a sad day when we move to the new Stadium and I can't get loaded by drinking 6 of the Dome's special draughts.
I'm pretty sure they'll sell beer at the new arena.

Despite the urban legends, there's nothing special about the beer at the Saddledome other than the fact that they're 591mL each. Drinking 6 of those (3.546L) is the equivalent of 10 normal 355mL cans of beer. It's not too hard to figure out why you're getting smashed if you drink that much beer in 2.5 hours.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:43 PM   #91
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I'm pretty sure they'll sell beer at the new arena.

Despite the urban legends, there's nothing special about the beer at the Saddledome other than the fact that they're 591mL each. Drinking 6 of those (3.546L) is the equivalent of 10 normal 355mL cans of beer. It's not too hard to figure out why you're getting smashed if you drink that much beer in 2.5 hours.
Drinking 10 normal cans of beer does not get me as wasted drinking 6 draughts at a Flames game.

It comes off as a Urban Legend for sure , but i'm no stranger to drinking and I will say with conviction that there is something different about the beer there.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2017, 06:00 PM   #92
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Drinking 10 normal cans of beer does not get me as wasted drinking 6 draughts at a Flames game.

It comes off as a Urban Legend for sure , but i'm no stranger to drinking and I will say with conviction that there is something different about the beer there.
I don't know about you, but usually when drinking ten beers it's over an extended period of time, more than 2.5 hours. Drinking two 591ml draft beers per period at the dome is the equivalent of drinking a 355ml can of beer every 15 minutes for 2.5 hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to lambeburger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2017, 06:04 PM   #93
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Pulling out
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #94
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Why? We use the football stadium ten times a year. An arena get used what? 250-320 time a year?

I love the Stampeders, and I love going to their games (have been a season ticket holder for I think 11 years), but I find too many of us let our heart do the talking an completely ignore the economic reality of building a stadium for essentially the CFL.
Maybe if we had a better stadium we would use it more. Maybe get an MLS team, host an NFL pre-season game or something, bigger concerts with bigger names.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:16 PM   #95
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Maybe if we had a better stadium we would use it more. Maybe get an MLS team, host an NFL pre-season game or something, bigger concerts with bigger names.
Maybe get an MLS team? MLS has publicly stated they are not looking to expand to Canada any further and if they were Calgary is likely decades away from being an attractive market for that league. We're not even close.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #96
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
another reason why it would be a bad idea. That is horrendous lol
Old 02-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #97
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
You know it's probably not at all realistic since I'm not sure they would risk it but I do wonder if there was a little bit of strategy there from the Flames as well.

Put out a bit of a plan that generates attention and public notice, but realistically isn't feasible due to a lot of different reasons.

Then when the city declines that it puts some pressure on them to come up with a plan and offer that fits their needs more but with some added incentives to the Flames for giving up on their "Plan A". Also transitions the city from "We have no interest in a new rink" to "Look how much better our idea for a rink is".

Now the Flames get a solution that is potentially just as good from their end, but with a better kick out from the city, and the support from the city is stronger because it was their "idea".
Of course that was part of the game in my opinion. So many people seem to not catch on that this is a negotiation between the sides on multiple aspects, not just funding. I don't doubt Calgary Next is what the Flames dream scenario was/is, but it's also very ignorant for any one to assume the Flames weren't aware East Village likely fit the cities desires a lot more than excellerating a west village revitalization, all around the Flames.

To your point, socialize the blue sky vision, be serious about it, if it takes that's a bonus, if it doesn't maybe you get more of what you need in the counter off. Seems to make a lot of sense to me. Amazed me how many folks seemed to be shocked round one wasn't a finalized plan with both parties holding hands at the unveiling. It's like they forgot all the back and forth, including a moving threat it took to get the deal up north to be done.

Long way to go I'm sure also.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:32 PM   #98
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We don't have the population for any of those things to become a regular occurring thing. This city has no need for anything other than a CFL suitable stadium, it's not a build it and they will come situation, at least not in any sort meaningful frequency
Old 02-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #99
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sure a new stadium would get a little bit more use, but how much more? It would cost (very conservatively) a hundred million bucks and for that we'd get a couple concerts a year like Edmonton does, and maybe the occasional exhibition between the Seahawks and the Vikings.

I might even be interested in the concerts, I'd go to more Stamps games, and definitely seeing an NFL exhibition 10 minutes from home would be cool, but the vast majority of the locals would never use it, but they'd be paying for it.

CSEC would never pay for it and I can't blame 'em.

I have no answers for the football stadium other than taxpayers shouldn't be on the hook for it.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #100
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Maybe get an MLS team? MLS has publicly stated they are not looking to expand to Canada any further and if they were Calgary is likely decades away from being an attractive market for that league. We're not even close.
Forget MLS... when it comes to soccer, Calgary doesn't have the infrastructure for anything above amateur PDL. We have a 2000 seat facility or a 37000 seat dumpster fire.

If Calgary had a modern football/soccer stadium, all of a sudden MLS (or NASL or CPL) aren't pipe dreams to the extent they are, and there is the ability to host the Canadian national soccer teams, NFL preseason, concerts, etc.

MLS said no more to Canada because right now it doesn't make sense. Ottawa isn't an appealing market because its in the east and is too close to the Toronto and Montreal TV markets/catchment zones, Edmonton isn't really supporting NASL well, and Calgary has garbage facilities. Calgary/Edmonton are the only real markets left in Canada that MLS would consider, and Calgary's issue is 5 years away minimum from being resolved.

Last edited by Thunderball; 02-08-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Closed Thread