Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 10:18 PM   #2701
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think they should move Burke and King to Quebec...
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to badradio For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 10:44 PM   #2702
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just saw Burke act like an ####### in that exchange today towards that guy....it was on TSN sportcenter. Wow that's terrible.

Apparently the guy was a season ticket holder and Burke basically called him an idiot and shamed him in front of the public audience. That's so bush league.

Last edited by robaur; 06-07-2017 at 10:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to robaur For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 10:54 PM   #2703
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
I'm surprised this part hasn't come up yet.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...next-1.4150420

So what is he trying to do, become the villain of the organization here? We know he's a smart guy. This is something a stupid person says. What's the angle here?
Wow. I agree with Nenshi. Glad he's not letting these out of touch Dufus's push him around.

And to the Flames. Good, move then. Save me the dissapointment of cheering your perennial losing and year after year failures and dissapoinments. The team has sucked all but one year since 89. Go mismanage the team and lose in Seattle. I don't care anymore.

I'm glad Nenshi is just brushing these guys off like the spoiled brats they are.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 10:55 PM   #2704
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Hmmmmm all the Keynesian left wingers have now become tax payer advocates?
Yeah. Schools, roads, proper transit infrastructure, youth programs, sports stadiums for billionaires. Hmmm. One of these things doesn't fit...
Old 06-07-2017, 11:42 PM   #2705
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Maybe it's just me and some anecdotal evidence, but I get the impression that a lot of people (including the city) are moving that way. "Well, we do need a new arena, so maybe...".

Burke's idiotic, arrogant comments today no doubt turned some people right off again.
Completely this. What an idiot. Once we moved on from the bad and poorly conceived CalgaryNEXT concept to a good well conceived Victoria Park concept, the appetite for public money on this board went markedly up.

Build a good concept in a good location, and the public dollars will come.

Burke's comments today lowered the appetite for publicly subsidizing a good concept.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 11:47 PM   #2706
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Haha:

CTV - Chris Epp‏Verified account @CTVchrisepp
BRIAN BURKE: Most intelligent people get this argument. GUY IN AUDIENCE: Most intelligent people know how to tie a tie.
got him lol. have any videos come out regarding this interaction or any burke comments in general?
Old 06-07-2017, 11:50 PM   #2707
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the end of the day Burke is an inconsequential executive, of a hockey team that has a full hockey operations department running the team below him, paid a lofty salary by those of the community that volunteer their money to purchase tickets and suites, merchandise, sports packages from their cable provider, or GC/CI. He should consider showing us some respect.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:50 PM   #2708
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Houston, Texas is in the heart of football country. People here love football. High school, college, pro.

Bud Adams so pissed off an entire city with demands for a new stadium during difficult economic times and threats to move that the city stopped supporting the Oilers and he moved them to Nashville.

Houston remained a football crazy town and was next on the list for an expansion team. Three years after moving, Houston was granted an expansion franchise with a stadium deal already in place.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:51 PM   #2709
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If it really did happen and the Flames ended up relocating to QC, the Coyotes would be on their way to Calgary in a fraction of a second lol.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:27 AM   #2710
NiklasSundblad
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
IMO, i think the Flames either A) made a big miscalculation on the appetite of taxpayers on the giant CalgaryNext project or B) that was a red herring proposal that was used to set the bar really high so that a new arena alone wouldn't seem "that expensive" in comparison.

Either way, I don't think Calgarians are 100% against it - obviously there are extremes on either end of the continuum. Burke's comments definitely didn't help those leaning towards saying No however...but that will probably reset by tomorrow or the weeks to come

I think it becomes a question of determining what is a "fair or reasonable" number for the taxpayers...
I think that only a percentage of the population that was 100% against Calgary Next is actually completely against any public spending. I think Calgary Next was a ridiculous bad ask, and a terrible plan, if you could even call what they presented a plan. Most of us are probably resigned to a publicly financed arena.

CSEC acting like the City has no right to negotiate the deal, and then trotting out Ken King (and letting Burke off-leash like this) to insult the people who they want to pay for an arena is a crazy tactic.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2017, 12:38 AM   #2711
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
The Flames should start bearing their teeth with the mayor. Either he sees the economic value with the Flames or he doesn't. But they should start pushing that button. To date Nenshi has copped out entirely saying it is up to the Flames, everytime the subject of concerts comes up he ducks it, everytime the subject of new arena comes up he ducks it. Saying we havnt been approached. BS total BS. When clearly the Flames have talked to mayor several times. He has said in the past the Flames have economic value but his actions are proving otherwise.
We have an interesting situation Owners that do not want to foot the entire bill and a Mayor that feels the city should not pay a dime outside of street/area infrastucture. The estimated numbers have changed over the past 2 years. To me it seems to be the Flames are willing to foot about 60%???
But the Mayor better realize contributing 0% or less than 10% of the building itself is not going to fly.
This is just my opinion but I feel the Flames should put up 70% , the province and city should put up the rest.
I'm too lazy to refute this right now, but it's already been done earlier in this thread, not too many pages before today's flare up. You're inventing many false narratives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Two things:

1) a sweet arena deal can go a long way to covering any difference in gate revenues between Calgary and Quebec, and

2) By selling, they realize their value in the team and can re-invest the money anywhere.

They would not lose anything, never mind hundreds of millions of dollars.
They would lose the privilege of owning 1 of 123 pro sports teams in North America. 1 of 9 in Canada. Pro sports are anything but a guaranteed investment. Many make money, many lose. This is the equivalent of an average Joe turning 50, finally paying off his mortgage, and deciding to spend $1000 on that [insert hobby here] they always wanted. Or a slightly wealthier dude finally dropping some coin on a sports car. But, it's totally different, because we're talking about billionaires fighting for the chance to own a scarce commodity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
The doctor example is particularly strange/ many are still training when the average - and even veteran nhler has retired - there is the odd 80'year old still practicing but a 45 year career isn't exactly commonplace
Not to mention the debt acquired in training. Not to go on a tangent, but doctors also pay for their own health benefits, are wholly responsible for their retirement planning, etc. They are fairly compensated (the system is not without it's issues), but the big six figure salary doesn't shake out the same as other similarly paid executives (ie. employees) with other benefits. Hockey players are covered very well in these other areas.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:42 AM   #2712
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

One last thing - Burke mentioned Garth Brooks in that video. Does no one remember 2012 when he played in Calgary, but NOT Edmonton? Or pretty much anywhere else for that matter? Saddledome didn't seem to be an issue then...

If a once-in-a-lifetime statistical outlier is often trotted out as your biggest piece of evidence of economic impact, you might be selling snake oil. Wake me up when the Brooks shows or anything similar become an annual thing.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:47 AM   #2713
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
One last thing - Burke mentioned Garth Brooks in that video. Does no one remember 2012 when he played in Calgary, but NOT Edmonton? Or pretty much anywhere else for that matter? Saddledome didn't seem to be an issue then...

If a once-in-a-lifetime statistical outlier is often trotted out as your biggest piece of evidence of economic impact, you might be selling snake oil. Wake me up when the Brooks shows or anything similar become an annual thing.
so you are saying they skipped Edmonton's old ass arena and came back when they got a new one? good argument lol

Last edited by dino7c; 06-08-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:04 AM   #2714
Knut

Exp:

Flames have done an effective job of moving people once for, or indifferent to, CalgaryNEXT to the against camp.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2017, 01:22 AM   #2715
NiklasSundblad
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

Garth Brooks is mentioned constantly in these arena PR speaches. It's bizarre.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2017, 02:02 AM   #2716
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the Flames so much and support pretty much everything they do however these threats to move are making me sick. Instead of the threats and promoting the unfeasable CalgaryNext they should be quietly negotiating with the city.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:17 AM   #2717
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Clearly, I have no horse in this race, but, were I a Calgary season ticket holder, I be screaming for Burke's head, for even floating this threat, as a negotiating tactic, especially as the owner had disavowed using this threat. How the team deals with Burke vs.a large block of STH, would be the gauge on how committed the franchise is to Calgary.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:42 AM   #2718
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
got him lol. have any videos come out regarding this interaction or any burke comments in general?
Tsn. Tthe guy said it right to the camera.

I loved it.
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2017, 02:42 AM   #2719
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Many on this board know I am a long time season ticket holder, my family having supported the Flames with season tickets every year since the team moved from Atlanta. And you're bloody right I am pissed off with Burke and King and their recent public threats. I intend to raise this with one of the owners who I know well.

I don't know what Burke is like in meetings with season ticket holders, but I can say he pulled a similar stunt a couple of weeks ago at the Jewish centre sports dinner where he tore a strip off a guy who didn't agree with the NHL's decision not to participate in the winter Olympics.

I used to have some respect for Burke with all the work he does for the LGBT community etc., but the truth is he is just an ass who embarasses himself and does the team a disservice every time he opens his big mouth.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2017, 02:56 AM   #2720
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no dog in this fight either. I love the Flames because I'm feom southern Alberta and then lived in Calgary for a spell.

If I were a Calgarian taxpayer and the threatend to move the team after fans rallied in the 90s to save it once I would say" #### you see ya later that money could be spent on emergency services, social housing and schools instead if you wmt to make threats" as a Flames fan tho I don't want to see them move just because of history and that thwy have been based in Calgary for so long . That's my only reason.

I have no other reason I want the Flames to stay on Calgary. If the relocated to Seattle I could attend way more games then just one a year. It would be like me travelling to Vancouver. I could still watch them play via Nhl.tv. etc. It would literally do nothing bad for me in my sports world.

The whole thing is bizarre to me . remember the 90s when sports teams had a legitimate reason for moving ? Like the couldn't actually afford to operate and not juat a temper tantrum lile a littlw kid because they didn't get the new toy they wanted.
Closed Thread