Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2017, 09:33 PM   #221
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
It doesn't have a 3A on it so, no.
Well if the difference between a prequel and a stand alone movie "expanding the universe" in your book has nothing to do with the plot and how it ties into the Original Trilogy, and only on whether they put an episode number on it, it's a pretty useless classification system.

Rogue One had much, much more direct relevance to the Original Trilogy than Episode 1 did.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 09:36 PM   #222
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Well if the difference between a prequel and a stand alone movie "expanding the universe" in your book has nothing to do with the plot and how it ties into the Original Trilogy, and only on whether they put an episode number on it, it's a pretty useless classification system.

Rogue One had much, much more direct relevance to the Original Trilogy than Episode 1 did.
Okay. Now go yell into your pillow about how right you are.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #223
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
That's basically wanting more Star Wars that has none of the stuff that makes Star Wars interesting. I don't think it even makes much economical sense.

Outside the jedis, Force, rebels and Empire, the Star Wars universe is pretty generic fantasy scifi stuff with no real theme to it. Most of it isn't that good, which is a big reason why they've dumped almost all of it from the canon.

I'm sure there's a few good stories in the gazillion books and comics, but I'd much rather see some little harder scifi filmed. Or film some other fun universe. With the popularity of Peter Dinklage showing unusually short people can be stars, maybe they could do a few Vorkosigan films. (Dinklage himself would make a great older Miles Vorkosigan.)
Can't you say the same about every si-fi or fantasy.

In Star Trek outside of Star fleet the Federation is pretty generic stuff. In fact I'm betting its more boring because people really don't have to do anything.

In the Alien Universe outside of the alien appearances on un-inhabited, unexplored planets that we have no reason to go to, its a story about inter galactic freighting.

For 364 out of 365 days in the Marval universe people don't even see or hear the avengers.

For the most part, your right alot of the legends EU stuff is just bad, that's more on the writers then anything else. But the old republic stories and even the clone war prequel stuff was really good. Where they got into trouble was the After Return of the Jedi Stuff.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 08:33 AM   #224
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Booo! Enough fricken prequels already . Branch out and give us something new and exciting in the Star Wars universe a la the KotOR games.
I don't mind the idea of the standalone stuff, however with Obi, most of his story was told in the really good Clone Wars cartoons.

The premise of the Obi-Wan movie has to be that the threat has to come to Tatooine because logically there should be no way that Obi leaves Luke at anytime.

I think a KOTOR Story line could be incredibly cool, people really do like the whole Sith versus Jedi stuff, but the KOTOR stuff has been swept out of Canon by Disney to the point that even the MMO game isn't considered Canon.

I would still like to see a standalone movie based around people who work in the Empire that don't know their on the wrong side of the conflict.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 09:22 AM   #225
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't mind the idea of the standalone stuff, however with Obi, most of his story was told in the really good Clone Wars cartoons.

The premise of the Obi-Wan movie has to be that the threat has to come to Tatooine because logically there should be no way that Obi leaves Luke at anytime.

I think a KOTOR Story line could be incredibly cool, people really do like the whole Sith versus Jedi stuff, but the KOTOR stuff has been swept out of Canon by Disney to the point that even the MMO game isn't considered Canon.

I would still like to see a standalone movie based around people who work in the Empire that don't know their on the wrong side of the conflict.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 08:03 PM   #226
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can't you say the same about every si-fi or fantasy.
Mostly yes, but.

Quote:
For 364 out of 365 days in the Marval universe people don't even see or hear the avengers.
In the Marvel universe there's also all the other super-powered or otherwise super people that are interesting too. Heroes with extraordinary abilities in a complicated world, that's essentially Marvel Universe for you. There's so much stuff created with that idea in the comics that we now have several film franchises and multiple TV series without anything Avengers related, most of it relatively successful. Plus of course all that Avengers stuff.

What's Marvel universe without powerful heroes? It's just Earth. Why even call it Marvel at that point?

The conflict around Republic / Empire plus Force is the core of the Star Wars universe. If you leave those parts out, it's like doing Marvel without the superheroes, unrecognizable and pointless.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:28 PM   #227
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Okay. Now go yell into your pillow about how right you are.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:53 PM   #228
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
In the Alien Universe outside of the alien appearances on un-inhabited, unexplored planets that we have no reason to go to, its a story about inter galactic freighting.
Blade Runner and Predator beg to differ.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:18 PM   #229
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have to think there's a full trailer coming soon for this thing. The movie is only 4 months away.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:19 PM   #230
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A little flamboyant but hey, you do you.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:44 PM   #231
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
You have to think there's a full trailer coming soon for this thing. The movie is only 4 months away.
The final trailer for The Force Awakens came out in mid-October, after the previous teaser was released in mid-April.

The teaser for The Last Jedi was released in mid-April, so the trailer will likely be out around Thanksgiving.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:25 PM   #232
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

yep, nearing time to buy Disney stock again I reckon... works like a charm every time. Then sell around Jan / Feb.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:37 PM   #233
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
yep, nearing time to buy Disney stock again I reckon... works like a charm every time. Then sell around Jan / Feb.
Please enlighten me on how to do this.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:48 PM   #234
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

recently watched TFA for the second time, and enjoyed it much more this time over when i saw it in the theatre. Expectations lower - Han's jokes seemed funnier and Rey was a better character than i remember. looking forward to episode VIII

However still i think Rogue One was a better movie overall in the star wars saga. The single biggest knock on TFA for me is that Kylo Ren is the son of Solo and Leia. Ren himself as a character is good - but his background? I still can't fathom how writers couldn't come up with something better than that for a reboot of the villain.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:23 PM   #235
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Please enlighten me on how to do this.
you mean trade stock? Open an investing account within your bank, ensure it's capable of trading in USD, purchase DIS on the NYSE.

Not sure I am following the question though. All I know is that whenever there's an upcoming release of a large event, you should consider buying stock for that asset. I'd imagine this movie release will be good for Disney.

Another example, Adidas a few months before World Cup (or whoever is the prime athletic wear sponsor in any given tournament). I missed out on this. Another one I missed out on, Nintendo about 6 months before the Switch was released.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:25 AM   #236
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
recently watched TFA for the second time, and enjoyed it much more this time over when i saw it in the theatre. Expectations lower - Han's jokes seemed funnier and Rey was a better character than i remember. looking forward to episode VIII

However still i think Rogue One was a better movie overall in the star wars saga. The single biggest knock on TFA for me is that Kylo Ren is the son of Solo and Leia. Ren himself as a character is good - but his background? I still can't fathom how writers couldn't come up with something better than that for a reboot of the villain.
Its kind of funny because if the villain is a reboot, it almost feels like a reboot from the Legends EU.

Leia and Han's oldest son is named Jacen Solo, he's the oldest of three Solo Children, a daughter named Jaina and a dead son named Anakin. they are cousins to Luke's son Ben.

In TFA Ben is seduced by a ancient force user that seemed to know Vader from his empire days.

The New Order that Ben is a leader of a group that see's The Republic as corrupt and that the Galaxy needs a firm hand to keep order which will ensure peace.

In Legacy of the Force Jacen is seduced by a former Force Strong Assassin of Vaders named Lumiya who is a disfigured part human cyborg who is strong in the force to the point of naming herself as a Dark Lady of the Sith. She convinces Jacen that only through the Dark Side of the Force can he become the new Emperor of the Galaxy and bring generations of peace, order and stability through a iron will.

In TFA Ben kills his father with a light saber through the guts. He does this as he feels he needs to sacrifice his father to cement himself to the Dark Side of the Force.

In Legacy of the Force, Jacen opens fire on the Falcon in an attempt to kill his father and mother who he see's as a necessary sacrifice to cement himself to the Dark Side of the Force and gain more power.

So the next thing that needs to happen.

In Legacy of the Force, Jacen arranges for the betrayal and murder of the Supreme Chancellor of the Galactic Alliance so he can step in as the ruler of the Alliance. Jacen also sacrifices Lumiya to become the Dark Lord of the Sith.

So if Ben/Kylo betrays and murders Snoke to become the new Supreme Leader we have identical paths.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:52 AM   #237
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
you mean trade stock? Open an investing account within your bank, ensure it's capable of trading in USD, purchase DIS on the NYSE.

Not sure I am following the question though. All I know is that whenever there's an upcoming release of a large event, you should consider buying stock for that asset. I'd imagine this movie release will be good for Disney.

Another example, Adidas a few months before World Cup (or whoever is the prime athletic wear sponsor in any given tournament). I missed out on this. Another one I missed out on, Nintendo about 6 months before the Switch was released.
Most of the value in Disney stock for Star Wars was already swallowed up at the Lucasfilm purchase. It seems logical that the influx of a billion dollars should cause a spike in a companies stock price, but those prices are built on expectations, not real value. The Force Awakens didn't cause a noticeable bump.

I mean, it's not likely to go down. With much more Star Wars and Marvel on the way. But there isn't likely to be single event spikes unless they purchase other large assets.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #238
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you want to see stock go up and down based on events watch WWE. It peaks at Wrestlemania and fades through the year.

And it's a lot cheaper than DIS
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:11 PM   #239
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

A television series about Rogue Squadron and/or Wraith Squadron (or something similar to Wraith - a band of misfits who the alliance puts together to do undercover work and are also good at flying space fighters) would be great. The book series was more about character interaction and development than the dog-fighting, so it would fit well with today's television landscape.

The books are an easy read and there are definitely some flaws, but I think the premise would be great.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #240
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Rogue squadron books while not the best of the Legends EU were very good. I still put the fall of the Republic trilogy (labyrinth, ROTS, Dark Lord), The Plageuis and the Bane trilogy as pretty much the top of the list.

With Star Wars Rebels ending its run this year, there is a rumor that Filoni is working on developing another animated series that takes place between ROTJ and TFA.

I still think that TV wise, Clone Wars just stands way above Rebels.