Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-29-2017, 11:28 PM   #361
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bigrangy's 2017 mock draft 1.0

This is my first pass at a post-lottery mock. I'm pretty confident about the top 6 but after that it gets a little wonky. More research must be done.

1 NJD Patrick All-situations center, NJ prefers him because they already have Hall for the speed
2 PHI Hischier Heiskanen could be picked here, if it was any other team, but PHI is stacked with D prospects and goes with the forward
3 DAL Heiskanen Obvious #3. BPA. Could be traded if they want to accelerate their mini-rebuild while Seguin and Benn are still young
4 COL Vilardi They want a defenseman but none of them are close to BPA. Vilardi will complement their existing forwards very well
5 VAN Glass The Nucks would be absolutely stupid to pass on Glass here (though you could make a case for Pettersson), so expect them to do just that
6 VGK Mittelstadt Skilled forward will put butts in seats and help win hockey games for the league's newest team. Helps Vegas pull off a slow build, since he will definitely be in school for a year or more
7 ARI Makar Go big or go home for Arizona. Makar is an excellent player and fits their biggest need on RHD
8 BUF Tippett Goal scoring winger to play with Eichel or ROR. Evander Kane without the issues if he develops properly
9 DET Pettersson Their highest pick in a generation, Pettersson projects as a super skilled forward. Proven pro production is a plus
10 FLA Suzuki I weep, because there is no way that Suzuki will fall to the Flames. Just another good piece for the growing group of talented forwards in Florida
11 LA Hague LA is in need of a bunch of things, but they look at Hague and love his combination of size, skill, and nastiness
12 CAR Vesalainen Huge u18's rockets him up the board (and past the Flames, sadly) right into the hands of the Canes. He joins a growing group of Finns.
13 WPG Valimaki Best LHD available
14 TB Liljegren Yzerman salivates at a potential Hedman-Liljegren pairing in the future, if any team can make up for Liljegren's many deficiencies, it's Tampa
15 NYI Poehling This one just seems right. I could see this pick traded to VGK in order to help with NYI's expansion situation though.
16 CGY Rasmussen Big, goal scorer, hurr durr truculence
17 TOR Necas The Czech center has been falling after underwhelming at the u18's but Toronto snaps him up here. They'd prefer a D but Necas has skill they can't pass up
18 BOS Thomas Boston goes slightly off the board again with the talented London center. Everyone will laugh at them but this is a solid pick
19 SJ Andersson They're shocked that he is still available and rush to the podium to pick him up. He should make an excellent top-6er longterm alongside Hertl, but the Sharks will need a gamebreaker for the post-Thornton era. They won't find it here
20 STL Tolvanen Slips a bit to 20. St Louis needs all the offensive help they can get and picks up the talented Finn
21 NYR Foote RHD is not a strong suit in the Rangers organization, so they decide to go for the Kelowna product here
22 MON Kostin The Russian invasion of Montreal continues
23 ANA Ratcliffe Big winger impressed at u18s, fits thee Anaheim mold, this pick could be traded for expansion considerations as well
24 MIN->ARI Brannstrom Arizona continues their YOLO tendencies and goes for the small but very skilled Swede
25 CBJ Anderson-Dolan After getting blown past all series by Pittsburgh, Columbus wants to add some speed to their lineup. Anderson-Dolan has serious wheels and is not bad at the rest of the game either
26 CHI Timmins Chicago sees their future #4D here and snaps him up. They could look at Oettinger as well for the post-Crawford days
27 WSH->STL Robertson St Louis's defense pipline is plenty full, so they go with the BPA who also happens to be a forward. Robertson was pretty much the entire team for Kingston at times this year and this could be a great value pick.
28 OTT Lind Ottawa makes the conference finals and they still end up with the guy they wanted at 20. Lind should be a decent middle sixer for them and he should probably be ready to play before their window is completely closed
29 EDM Yamamoto Yeah, gross, I know, the grease make the conference finals. Yamamoto is seriously talented and they need some cheap talented replacements for their 6 million dollar busts. Yamamoto will look very good playing alongside a top center though
30 PIT Norris Pittsburgh just likes talent, Norris has the most of anyone left
31 NSH Vaakanainen Nashville wins the cup and takes another defenseman. It's worked for them so far so why not keep going

I want to put Oettinger in here somewhere, but I don't think he goes before 20 (because goalie) and I don't see any teams past 20 looking for a goalie. Chicago would be my best bet but I think he makes it to day 2. I imagine Colorado scoops him right up at 32.

Last edited by bigrangy; 04-29-2017 at 11:36 PM.
bigrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigrangy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2017, 11:30 PM   #362
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm not as down on Rasmussen as others, but taking him over Necas and Andersson...
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2017, 11:32 PM   #363
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I'm not as down on Rasmussen as others, but taking him over Necas and Andersson...
Yeah I'm not a fan of it but I see it happening. I'm not super sold on Necas though, he didn't impress or disappoint at all when I watched him. Just super average.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:59 PM   #364
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd sincerely hope that Tolvanen or Kostin don't slip past Calgary. they both have too much skill to pass up @16 in this draft. Especially Tolvanen, pure shooter who shoots and snipes? Why on earth would the Flames let that slip past them. Because truculence?

Last edited by dammage79; 04-30-2017 at 12:06 AM.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:17 AM   #365
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'd sincerely hope that Tolvanen or Kostin don't slip past Calgary. they both have too much skill to pass up @16 in this draft. Especially Tolvanen, pure shooter who shoots and snipes? Why on earth would the Flames let that slip past them. Because truculence?
I had thought earlier that Rasmussen was a right shot. I was wrong about that and now it makes me seriously doubt the Flames would take him at 16. I imagine they take one of Tolvanen or Necas if the top 15 goes like I have it. I'll fix this in my next mock.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:19 AM   #366
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Button's post lottery mock draft:

sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 12:18 PM   #367
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

^ Quite different from his March Craig's List, presumably because of positional need:
http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-lots-...chier-1.702428

9. Ryan Poehling - C (NCAA)
13. Eeli Tolvanen - RW (USHL)
14. Kailer Yamamoto - RW (WHL)
15. Lias Andersson -LW/C/RW (SHL)
17. Alexi Lipanov - C (MHL)
19. P-Olivier Joseph - D (QMJHL)
21. Josh Norris - C (USHL)
22. Shane Bowers - C (USHL)

All left from his list, with Valimaki being the highest number mock drafted at 23.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:50 PM   #368
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Tolvanen prpbably has a pretty good chance at becoming a Flame this draft.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:24 PM   #369
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Keep in mind that there's a difference between a ranking and a mock draft. A ranking suggests how one individual (or group) would rank prospects. A mock draft is how one guesses/predicts the draft will unfold. Two very different ideas.

And, having said that, another mock draft to check out! Our work over at FC following last night's NHL Draft Lottery:

https://futureconsiderations.ca/nhl-draft-mock/

Our ranking (https://futureconsiderations.ca/top-rankings/) and our mock draft don't go off paths as dissimilar as Button's, but there are some differences nonetheless.
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FCAV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 04:36 PM   #370
spennywalks
Backup Goalie

Exp:

give us nick suzuki!
spennywalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:02 PM   #371
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCAV View Post
Keep in mind that there's a difference between a ranking and a mock draft. A ranking suggests how one individual (or group) would rank prospects. A mock draft is how one guesses/predicts the draft will unfold. Two very different ideas.

And, having said that, another mock draft to check out! Our work over at FC following last night's NHL Draft Lottery:

https://futureconsiderations.ca/nhl-draft-mock/

Our ranking (https://futureconsiderations.ca/top-rankings/) and our mock draft don't go off paths as dissimilar as Button's, but there are some differences nonetheless.
Why Tolvanen to Detroit over a centre or dman ? I understand maybe BPA, but it's close! I think Detroit would lean toward a d or centre as one thing they have a lot of is wingers.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #372
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Im very excited for this draft. Seems like we could pick a player at 16/17 that could easily be a top 8/10 player from tgis class. So much confusion/moving around in the rankings.

Just hope we keep the pick .
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #373
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trade down scenarios:

16/17th to Blues for 22nd (Blues) + 31st (Caps) <- subject to change as both Blues/Caps are still in playoffs

16/17th to Sens for 20th (Sens) + 48th (Flames) <- subject to change as Sens are still in playoffs

16/17th to Arizona for 27th (Wild) + 35th (Yotes)

16/17th to Montreal for 25th (Habs) + 56th (Habs) + 87th (Habs)

I could see Tre dropping down to recoup a pick or two, seeing as how wide open it is and if there is someone available at 16/17 that oneof these teams really covets, but they don't think that player will last until their turn to pick comes.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #374
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

^

16/17 to Bruins for 18/19 (Bruins) + 55 (Oilers) <- subject to change as Oilers are still in the playoffs
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2017, 01:33 AM   #375
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Recouping some assets would be nice but my dropoff is at 4-10-16-26 right now (go nashville go) so I would be against trading down unless draft day goes wild.

For the Flames token midget however, I present Jerry Turkulainen

He's over half a point per game in the Finnish pro league as a first time draft eligible and he's so hardcore that he's currently injured with a broken jaw after blocking a shot.

Cons are the fact that he is a late 98 so he's old for the draft and also that he's 5'7". He's a right shot and seems to have a good motor though. I'd be happy with him from the 4th and onwards. Him and Zach Solow are probably the two best chances at a late round impact midget this season among first time eligibles.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:59 PM   #376
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I usually advocate for taking a forward in the first round but the crop of Dmen looks way better this year. Unless someone like Petersson falls to us, which seems like a dream

An 18 year old putting up PPG in a men's league is awesome
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:06 PM   #377
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Isaac Ratcliffe is intriguing. Big guy, a pest, can skate, has hands. Numbers are low due to playing for a horrific Guelph team, but it seems like he has more skill than they might suggest.

Could be a trade down target if BT is trying to recoup some picks.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:26 AM   #378
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

The awesome bigwhite06 is back with NHL draft eligible highlight videos.

First up is #12 on Craig Button's list Elias Pettersson (LW):

He wears #14.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #379
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quite a set of hands. Breakaway speed with very good vision.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:13 PM   #380
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nicely written up mock, would be disgusted if the Oilers got Thomas because I think he is a sleeper.

http://soupsonsports.com/2017/05/05/...ock-draft-2-0/
The Following User Says Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:

Tags
2017 nhl draft , 2017 nhl draft rankings , nhl entry draft