Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2020, 02:38 PM   #21
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I am fairly concerned about the potential offensive production from the third and fourth lines.
Ryan is the only one who produces any points. Maybe Bennett if he performs as usual in the playoffs. Apparently Dube has looked good in practice.

But for the most part, you're really leaning on the top 2 lines for goals. The second line I have faith in, but in an ideal world, they would effectively shut down the Jets' top line.
Same. Although I am okay with the third line. That combination did show some spark in the second half. And with Dube looking pretty rejuvenated there is some hope.

But the fourth line is an offensive black hole. You need to believe that the line at least has a shot of contributing every other game. I think you need to try plugging Czarnik/Phillips in there to see what they can provide.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:04 PM   #22
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dube and Ryan are good bottom 6 scoring threats, but after that I agree it looks troubling. That's actually a good reason for splitting them up IMO, keeps some known offensive talent on each line. If Bennett is able to go playoff mode again, then him-Dube together could bring a very interesting energy line offense mix to the table (the chemistry is there, we saw in practice!)

I just hope ward doesn't get tempted to bust Bennett down to the 4th again when ryan is fully back. Knowing him he definitely will, but I think that will all but guarantee Bennett's confidence in the toilet and likely a poor showing. Not to mention our 4th line will be total dog#### without Ryan propping it up.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 03:16 PM   #23
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Honestly, what is the obsession people have with taking a guy (Jankowski) who has barely mastered his natural position on the 4L and making him a winger at a level where he has never played that position before?
I think because of Jankos size and his PK ability has kept him at C. Truth be told moving to wing from C for him would help with his offense. Easier transition to wing than moving a winger to Center.

I for one am extremely happy to see Bennett at the 3 C slot. I really hope he is not the placeholder for Ryan. Because I honestly think that line can be a massive game changer for the Flames the deeper they roll in the playoffs.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 03:23 PM   #24
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree that Bennett and Dube should be kept together. Thier style of play just blends so well.

Ideally speaking, long term we should run a third line of:

Mangiapane-Bennett-Dube

Hardwork, skill and tenacity. Has a chance to be the best third line in the league.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 03:31 PM   #25
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Flames having another scrimmage tomorrow. No word on streams.

Calgary Flames PR @NHLFlamesPR
TRAINING CAMP UPDATE (Tuesday, July 21, 2020):

Intra-Squad Game #2 @ 12:30pm MT

*Same rules apply for media who wish to attend.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:39 PM   #26
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope they do stream this game, though as discussed, it might be to keep their plans close to their chest.

Have any other teams been streaming their intra-squad games?
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:46 PM   #27
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
I hope they do stream this game, though as discussed, it might be to keep their plans close to their chest.

Have any other teams been streaming their intra-squad games?
I think Steinberg mentioned that it was a team request that no stream be made available for exactly that reason.

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zarrell For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #28
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Eat Bread, Dube and Bennett is definitely a line I want to see. Truculence defined right there.

And I agree with previous poster stating he hoped Ward wouldn't shard on Bennetts confidence. He really is built for the playoffs.

If we don't have a 100% healthy Ryan I'd still rather see him out there than Jankowski period.

Hell id have rather see Gawdin or Buddy out there than him....Conroy said Buddy was skating his ass off last night backchecking and keeping up with Johnny.....for what its worth.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:32 PM   #29
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Umm guys,

I'm pretty sure Sam is just a placeholder while Ryan is away... I would rate Ryan as our 6th most important forward.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane
Lucic - Ryan - Dubé
Bennett - Jankowski - Rieder/Rinaldo

I have hopes for the kids Ruzicka, Gawdin, Phillips, to earn a spot but realize the vets (Czarnik, Quine, Robinson, Froese) have the edge with their experience.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 04:34 PM   #30
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Nobody's disputing that Ryan is important but he's proven in the past that he can succeed with anyone. But if you find a combo that works with Bennett... keep it together.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:16 PM   #31
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We were regarded as a four line monster just a year ago. What happened there?

Did that leave with Hathaway and Jankowski's GAF meter?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:28 PM   #32
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I am fairly concerned about the potential offensive production from the third and fourth lines.
Ryan is the only one who produces any points. Maybe Bennett if he performs as usual in the playoffs. Apparently Dube has looked good in practice.

But for the most part, you're really leaning on the top 2 lines for goals. The second line I have faith in, but in an ideal world, they would effectively shut down the Jets' top line.
Backlund's line 56 goals would be doing well neutralizing Scheifele's 89 goal line.

Who do you want going against Laine-Ehlers-Eakins?

The Jets will be throwing out Lowry-Copps-Rosolovic (26 goals) against Monahan, Gaudreau Lindholm (69 goals) as much as they can. Do the Flames run with that and leave Lucic-Dube- Ryan/Bennett (all 4 34 goals) out against Laine-Ehlers-Eakins (54 goals).... I would guess that the Jets would be comfortable putting the series on that match up if the others cancel each other out.

In the line match up the Jets having shutdown line that can play against either of the Flames top 2 lines presents a coaching challenge.

If the Flames put Backlund out against Eakin's line that would be a competitive match up ... but would you want the top lines going head to head?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:45 PM   #33
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Backlund's line 56 goals would be doing well neutralizing Scheifele's 89 goal line.

Who do you want going against Laine-Ehlers-Eakins?

The Jets will be throwing out Lowry-Copps-Rosolovic (26 goals) against Monahan, Gaudreau Lindholm (69 goals) as much as they can. Do the Flames run with that and leave Lucic-Dube- Ryan/Bennett (all 4 34 goals) out against Laine-Ehlers-Eakins (54 goals).... I would guess that the Jets would be comfortable putting the series on that match up if the others cancel each other out.

In the line match up the Jets having shutdown line that can play against either of the Flames top 2 lines presents a coaching challenge.

If the Flames put Backlund out against Eakin's line that would be a competitive match up ... but would you want the top lines going head to head?
Yes, asking the Backlund line to shut down the Scheifele is demanding to say the least. But Backlund was playing extremely well prior to the pause. Especially when he was with Tkachuk and Mangiapane. There's no doubt in my mind that Ward will attempt to match up this line with the Scheifele line.

The Flames technically have home ice advantage. So Ward does have some control here. In theory, the Monahan line should be able to outplay their opponents. I like the Monahan/Gaudreau/Lindholm line a lot more than I like the Eakin or Lowry lines. I don't think this is close.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:01 PM   #34
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

If the forward matchups “cancel each other out” so to speak, I like the Flames chances in this series. Their blueline is miles better than the Jets’.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:08 PM   #35
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
If the forward matchups “cancel each other out” so to speak, I like the Flames chances in this series. Their blueline is miles better than the Jets’.
I recall thinking something similar in the Avs series. IMO it comes down to our star forwards. And we’ll need credible goaltending.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 08:25 PM   #36
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Nobody's disputing that Ryan is important but he's proven in the past that he can succeed with anyone. But if you find a combo that works with Bennett... keep it together.
This is what pisses me off, Bennett and Dube have some real chemistry.

I want the coaches to try and develop that.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:39 PM   #37
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
This is what pisses me off, Bennett and Dube have some real chemistry.

I want the coaches to try and develop that.
Not disputing you...but when did that happen?
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 10:26 PM   #38
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane
Lucic - Bennett - Dube
Jankowski - Ryan - Reider

I want these forward lines even though they’re unrealistic.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:35 PM   #39
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Not disputing you...but when did that happen?
Yeah im curious what this is in reference to as well...IIRC it was Ryan and Dube who seemed to have something going on between them, not Sam so much though i do recall them playing together a little bit.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:36 PM   #40
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I don't think that's unrealistic at all. I could see that happening for sure.

But for playoff hockey I think we might see a very different line four.

I could see Rinaldo - Ryan - Robinson being the line.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote