Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-14-2020, 09:49 AM   #2201
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched an old classic last night - Heavy Metal. It's just as juvenile, silly and entertaining as ever.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #2202
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

and awesome

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 02:41 PM   #2203
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
Watched an old classic last night - Heavy Metal. It's just as juvenile, silly and entertaining as ever.
The WWII bomber sequence gave 12 year old me nightmares for a few weeks. The coke snorting aliens is still my favorite bit from that
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:46 PM   #2204
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

One of the best movie soundtracks ever to me.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 03:39 PM   #2205
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post

The movie Heavy Metal is like a psychedelic dive into the perverted mind of a twelve-year-old boy. It’s mostly boobs, rock and roll, boobs, zombies, violence, and boobs. So why on earth do I love it?

https://thehundreds.com/blogs/conten...feminist-heart
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:27 PM   #2206
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just watched Class Action Park, a documentary about Action Park, which was a very dangerous amusement park in New Jersey in the 80s. It was a park that featured I think six deaths, and was famous for being basically run by drunk horny teenagers, all on rides that were not designed in anyway by an engineer, rides tested by putting actual kids onto them. There was a loop in one water slide that did not go well.

Not a ton of footage, so they had to use some animating, and some of the interviewees are kind of annoying, but I still found it fascinating.

Then I found out there was a Johnny Knoxville movie from 2018 called Action Point that was based on this park. Not a fan of Jackass but I have to admit it really fit the original park and I actually enjoyed it.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 09:29 PM   #2207
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Action Point is a fun movie.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:48 AM   #2208
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Caught Tenet last night, so damn convoluted. Unnecessarily so, plus the dialog was audibly tough to make out. Overall I got the jist but the small details and motivation were lost on me. My least favorite Nolan film.

I usually love these type of movies, I followup with YouTube reviews and explanations to make sure I got it all and enjoy reading the minutia. For Tenet I just didn't care.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:59 AM   #2209
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Just watched Class Action Park, a documentary about Action Park, which was a very dangerous amusement park in New Jersey in the 80s. It was a park that featured I think six deaths, and was famous for being basically run by drunk horny teenagers, all on rides that were not designed in anyway by an engineer, rides tested by putting actual kids onto them. There was a loop in one water slide that did not go well.

Not a ton of footage, so they had to use some animating, and some of the interviewees are kind of annoying, but I still found it fascinating.

Then I found out there was a Johnny Knoxville movie from 2018 called Action Point that was based on this park. Not a fan of Jackass but I have to admit it really fit the original park and I actually enjoyed it.
Class Action Park felt really padded to me; Kevin Purjerer's shortform from Defunctland about it is a really good length (17m).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 09:02 AM   #2210
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Class Action Park felt really padded to me; Kevin Purjerer's shortform from Defunctland about it is a really good length (17m).

Not to derail from the movie thread but Kevin's channel is really solid. Even if you aren't a big Disney fan it can be fascinating to watch his deep dives into rides and attractions, and plans that never came to be (Disney's park that was going to go outside of Washington D.C. for example) and the politics behind the scenes of it all. Plus not just Disney stuff, getting into other theme parks and mediums like TV and movies.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:33 AM   #2211
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Not to derail from the movie thread but Kevin's channel is really solid. Even if you aren't a big Disney fan it can be fascinating to watch his deep dives into rides and attractions, and plans that never came to be (Disney's park that was going to go outside of Washington D.C. for example) and the politics behind the scenes of it all. Plus not just Disney stuff, getting into other theme parks and mediums like TV and movies.
The series he did last year about Jim Henson and the Muppets was incredibly well-done.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:12 PM   #2212
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Caught Tenet last night, so damn convoluted. Unnecessarily so, plus the dialog was audibly tough to make out. Overall I got the jist but the small details and motivation were lost on me. My least favorite Nolan film.

I usually love these type of movies, I followup with YouTube reviews and explanations to make sure I got it all and enjoy reading the minutia. For Tenet I just didn't care.
Good point on the dialogue as the opening scene was unintelligible. That’s the second Nolan film where this was a problem because same thing with Bane?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 01:00 PM   #2213
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Capone" with Tom Hardy as Al Capone showed up on Kanopy the other day. The closed captioning isn't working for it, and I can't understand a thing that he says. It's just high-pitched mumbling.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:16 PM   #2214
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post

I just lost 2 hrs and 49 mins of my life to Interstellar last night.

The number of good didn't out weigh the bad.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:33 PM   #2215
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm watching old Godzilla movies, because why not.

I've watched the first two, Godzilla and Godzilla Raids Again! The first was better, with a better storyline and more convincing destruction scenes. Also the human characters were better and made more sense. Of course the second gives him a monster to fight against, but Anguirus is kind of boring as he's just a giant Ankylosaurus. Highlight was when he gets crushed through Osaka Temple. The way they defeat Godzilla sucks too as we get like five minutes of planes shooting missiles into a mountain and repetitive fake avalanche scenes. There's also a part near the start where a bunch of guys sit in a boardroom in the dark and literally watch like three straight minutes of the Tokyo destruction scene from the first movie. Not sure if they were trying to pad out the runtime or something, lol.

Still, I don't often watch movies this old so it's been fun. Next we move out of black and white for the original King Kong Vs. Godzilla.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 06:48 PM   #2216
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
"Capone" with Tom Hardy as Al Capone showed up on Kanopy the other day. The closed captioning isn't working for it, and I can't understand a thing that he says. It's just high-pitched mumbling.
Hardy is great but that movie is so bad. I'm not sure why they thought that stage of Capone's life was worth telling. It's 90% fever dreams and nonsense.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 08:32 PM   #2217
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Hardy is great but that movie is so bad. I'm not sure why they thought that stage of Capone's life was worth telling. It's 90% fever dreams and nonsense.

Yeah, besides not understanding anything that Capone is saying, except for the Italian that gets subtitled, the movie itself is all sorts of incoherentness. Not the most compelling story. What a waste of good actors.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:38 PM   #2218
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Good point on the dialogue as the opening scene was unintelligible. That’s the second Nolan film where this was a problem because same thing with Bane?
Maybe the theatre you were at sucked? I just saw it at the landmark theatre at market mall tonight and thought it was fantastic! No dialogue issues. Both the wife and I loved it.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:36 PM   #2219
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I just lost 2 hrs and 49 mins of my life to Interstellar last night.

The number of good didn't out weigh the bad.
Omg what did you just say
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:52 PM   #2220
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Maybe the theatre you were at sucked? I just saw it at the landmark theatre at market mall tonight and thought it was fantastic! No dialogue issues. Both the wife and I loved it.
I don’t think so. Quick google search founds several articles with the same complaint. Here’s one:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.esq...ound-problems/

But congrats on your excellent hearing!
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote