Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2017, 08:09 AM   #741
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

You guys are wasting your time on Nintendo.

https://thec64.com/

Last edited by KTrain; 10-03-2017 at 08:11 AM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #742
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would take just Final Fantasy VI over a collection of every Commodore 64 game ever released.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:23 PM   #743
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

why didn't they add the option to add more games? seems ridiculous

its an emulator with 20 games or whatever. Cool collectors item I guess
Old 10-03-2017, 03:01 PM   #744
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
why didn't they add the option to add more games? seems ridiculous

its an emulator with 20 games or whatever. Cool collectors item I guess
With basic computer knowledge adding games to the NES classic was easy. From what I understand, within a week it will be the same for SNES.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:07 PM   #745
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Got to play around with the SNES Classic a bit last night. I think my biggest gripe is having to press the physical reset button to access the menu, save states and rewind functions. I would have been okay with a small extra button on the top of the controller that could the same thing. As it is, and with the short controller cable, I'm going to need a long HDMI cable so I can get the system onto my coffee table for easy access.

Other than that, love the menus in this thing, love the system music, and especially love the rewind feature. The controllers feel really good, too. I did the first two castles of Super Mario World, the first four stages of Super Castlevania IV, the castle escape in Link to the Past, and up to the bomb statue boss of Super Metroid and everything felt solid on an HDTV.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #746
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
With basic computer knowledge adding games to the NES classic was easy. From what I understand, within a week it will be the same for SNES.
See this I don't understand. I get having an NES/SNES mini for the nostalgia, collectable, ease-of-use aspects. But when you're getting to the point of hacking into it to add more games, why not just use a Pi? Multiple systems, better emulators, more storage, easier to add games, etc. I like the SNES mini as a standalone product, and if I could simply drive to a store and pick one up for under $100 I'd probably grab one. But for anyone with basic computer knowledge that wants to play any SNES game they want, the Raspberry Pi makes way more sense
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:03 PM   #747
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Nintendo were smarter, they would have sold this with the 20 games or whatever, and included a virtual console where you could buy more games for it. Instead of it being a one time money maker, they could have milked the cow for a few years.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:05 PM   #748
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I received my Best Buy purchase yesterday.

Purolator lost my Amazon purchase. Still waiting to here if/when they'll find it.

I did an unboxing, setup and demo for my YouTube channel. Uploading tonight. Does anyone care or would like me to post it?
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:19 PM   #749
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
See this I don't understand. I get having an NES/SNES mini for the nostalgia, collectable, ease-of-use aspects. But when you're getting to the point of hacking into it to add more games, why not just use a Pi? Multiple systems, better emulators, more storage, easier to add games, etc. I like the SNES mini as a standalone product, and if I could simply drive to a store and pick one up for under $100 I'd probably grab one. But for anyone with basic computer knowledge that wants to play any SNES game they want, the Raspberry Pi makes way more sense
Official controllers, asthetic and simplicity. As someone who played around with retropi, hakachi is 10x easier
Old 10-04-2017, 07:36 AM   #750
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If Nintendo were smarter, they would have sold this with the 20 games or whatever, and included a virtual console where you could buy more games for it. Instead of it being a one time money maker, they could have milked the cow for a few years.
They want you buying the $150 3DS and (eventually) the $300 Switch for that.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:36 AM   #751
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure, but this way they could sell you the same VC game again, and again, and again.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #752
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Played through Super Metroid yesterday. My thoughts are I like everything about it except how light it is as my HDMI cable lifts it up because the connector is upside down and the input lag which is almost unbearable.

I started up the SNES and tried Street Fighter loaded up Ken and couldn't pull of a single move, chalked it up to the controller as it felt a bit stiff but seriously couldn't do a single uppercut or fireball. Then playing Super Metroid this was my first play through and everything was fine until I had to jump off the wall, apparently this is tricky as is but I found it hard but the real kicker was when I was jumping on disappearing blocks that is when I realized that I had to push the jump button before I landed the timing was way off, this all was followed up by the screw attack which was very difficult to get going in an upward motion because of timing.

8 hours to beat Metroid, great picture and sound, sore thumb but other than those issues it was good. I'm going to load up Super Metroid on my Pi this weekend and see if I get similar issues.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:31 AM   #753
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDJZak View Post
I received my Best Buy purchase yesterday.

Purolator lost my Amazon purchase. Still waiting to here if/when they'll find it.

I did an unboxing, setup and demo for my YouTube channel. Uploading tonight. Does anyone care or would like me to post it?
Ticket open with Purolator to find my missing package. I'm not confident they'll find it.

At least my Best Buy purchase showed up. Playing with the kids last night was a blast!
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #754
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Played through Super Metroid yesterday. My thoughts are I like everything about it except how light it is as my HDMI cable lifts it up because the connector is upside down and the input lag which is almost unbearable.

I started up the SNES and tried Street Fighter loaded up Ken and couldn't pull of a single move, chalked it up to the controller as it felt a bit stiff but seriously couldn't do a single uppercut or fireball. Then playing Super Metroid this was my first play through and everything was fine until I had to jump off the wall, apparently this is tricky as is but I found it hard but the real kicker was when I was jumping on disappearing blocks that is when I realized that I had to push the jump button before I landed the timing was way off, this all was followed up by the screw attack which was very difficult to get going in an upward motion because of timing.

8 hours to beat Metroid, great picture and sound, sore thumb but other than those issues it was good. I'm going to load up Super Metroid on my Pi this weekend and see if I get similar issues.

What picture mode is your TV set to? I’d be surprised if the console itself is the culprit of input delay.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Jbo
Old 10-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #755
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
What picture mode is your TV set to? I’d be surprised if the console itself is the culprit of input delay.
I'd have to agree. My TV isn't very good for input lag but I can guarantee that there was no extra delay added by the SNES Classic. I was able to wall jump up most of the Tourian escape shaft at the first part of Super Metroid even with my TV's lag.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #756
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

I played through Super Metroid using the Retroarch SNES9x core (RetroPie should default to it) without any noticeable input lag. I think the real test for the SNES Mini will be Super Punch Out, that will probably be the most unforgiving for any kind of lag
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:37 AM   #757
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I played through Super Metroid using the Retroarch SNES9x core (RetroPie should default to it) without any noticeable input lag. I think the real test for the SNES Mini will be Super Punch Out, that will probably be the most unforgiving for any kind of lag
Another good test on the SNES classic would be the samurai face-off mini game in Kirby Super Star. You need insane timing to beat the last one.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:11 AM   #758
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I thought that also. I went through all of the settings and the only game mode seems to be a color option. I will try on another TV tonight just to check I know the Plasma in the living room has a game mode option so I could test there if my second TV doesn't.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:39 AM   #759
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Also check the display mode, I've read of people having problems with lag on the 4:3 mode but the pixel perfect mode being ok.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:27 PM   #760
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:

Surprised to hear this, I have had zero lag issues with mine.