Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2022, 02:36 PM   #1881
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
The only people still talking about about COVID are those that denied/downplayed COVID.

Just shut up and move on.
I don't know about that. I see commentary pretty much every day in the media about ongoing covid concerns with various health experts warning about the ongoing impacts to our society. They don't seem to be done with it and they were the exact opposite of deniers/downplayers.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2022, 03:12 PM   #1882
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I don't know about that. I see commentary pretty much every day in the media about ongoing covid concerns with various health experts warning about the ongoing impacts to our society. They don't seem to be done with it and they were the exact opposite of deniers/downplayers.
Lots of sufferers of long covid still paying attention to it and talking about it as an ongoing health concern too, and the left/right politicization of covid just makes that more difficult.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 03:17 PM   #1883
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well we should still be listening to the medical professionals for guidance and an idea of what is going on. We should not be listening to politicians without facts looking to score points and toot dog whistles, and morons on Twitter who are unqualified to comment on it. But that's good advice for pretty much anything.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2022, 04:49 PM   #1884
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Well we should still be listening to the medical professionals for guidance and an idea of what is going on. We should not be listening to politicians without facts looking to score points and toot dog whistles, and morons on Twitter who are unqualified to comment on it. But that's good advice for pretty much anything.
Yeah, the politicization of the topics of covid and vaccines is a tremendous impediment to properly addressing public health concerns. Politicians who use it as a wedge for some political advantage are actively causing harm and are extremely cynical.

People on social media sharing their personal experiences shouldn't be immediately dismissed though. Someone professing to have medical expertise when they don't should be dismissed, but the medical profession still hasn't totally figured out what goes on with covid in the body and some health concerns arising from covid and vaccinations are primarily coming to attention because of being shared on social media by people who are experiencing them.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:59 PM   #1885
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
but the medical profession still hasn't totally figured out what goes on with covid in the body and some health concerns arising from covid and vaccinations are primarily coming to attention because of being shared on social media by people who are experiencing them.
Source on the latter part of this? Haven’t heard of an issue which came to attention of the medical profession because of social media.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2022, 06:13 PM   #1886
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, the politicization of the topics of covid and vaccines is a tremendous impediment to properly addressing public health concerns. Politicians who use it as a wedge for some political advantage are actively causing harm and are extremely cynical.

People on social media sharing their personal experiences shouldn't be immediately dismissed though. Someone professing to have medical expertise when they don't should be dismissed, but the medical profession still hasn't totally figured out what goes on with covid in the body and some health concerns arising from covid and vaccinations are primarily coming to attention because of being shared on social media by people who are experiencing them.
Except many people on twitter are lying. Most of the anti vaxxer types know several people that died due to the vaccine.

A well known doctor retweeted a story from a woman stating her husband is dying to due to heart damage from the vaccine last week. A quick look at her timeline shows numerous lies about that exact topic. One day she would post about how long he's been sick, then apparently forget and post a different time line, and did this for various members of her family.

Since this vaccine has come out all the anti vaxxer types blame anything that's happened after, on the vaccine. Tim Pool today asked if John Fetterman regrets getting the vaccine now. Fetterman was diagnosed with heart issues years ago, but Pools 1.3 million followers won't know that.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2022, 07:55 PM   #1887
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
Except many people on twitter are lying. Most of the anti vaxxer types know several people that died due to the vaccine.

A well known doctor retweeted a story from a woman stating her husband is dying to due to heart damage from the vaccine last week. A quick look at her timeline shows numerous lies about that exact topic. One day she would post about how long he's been sick, then apparently forget and post a different time line, and did this for various members of her family.

Since this vaccine has come out all the anti vaxxer types blame anything that's happened after, on the vaccine. Tim Pool today asked if John Fetterman regrets getting the vaccine now. Fetterman was diagnosed with heart issues years ago, but Pools 1.3 million followers won't know that.
For sure there are people who are consciously or unconsciously contributing to misinformation. There are also people share genuine experiences. The toxic politicization of what are fundamentally just health issues feeds into both the anti-vaxxer conspiracists spreading misinformation but also feeds into people who are actually suffering being put in a position of entering a political #### storm and being accused of being a liar just by sharing their genuine personal experience. It's a pretty lame situation overall, resulting from the politicization of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 08:22 AM   #1888
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
For sure there are people who are consciously or unconsciously contributing to misinformation. There are also people share genuine experiences. The toxic politicization of what are fundamentally just health issues feeds into both the anti-vaxxer conspiracists spreading misinformation but also feeds into people who are actually suffering being put in a position of entering a political #### storm and being accused of being a liar just by sharing their genuine personal experience. It's a pretty lame situation overall, resulting from the politicization of it.
Correct. But it was just one side who moronically politicized it to appeal to stupid people. The other side endeavored to stick to facts and prudent health measures to save lives and limit the impact of the disease.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:46 AM   #1889
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is too bad that genuine sharing of information gets mixed with politicized nonsense. It still makes the usefulness of the data zero. We have far better ways to collate data than sift through social media.

This has been true long before COVID. Look through social media for nonsense about statin drugs. Studies over and over prove their usefulness in extending life and improving health overall, but you'll see endless rants about cancer and joint deterioration which simply aren't true
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:04 AM   #1890
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Correct. But it was just one side who moronically politicized it to appeal to stupid people. The other side endeavored to stick to facts and prudent health measures to save lives and limit the impact of the disease.

How sad is it that trying to make decisions to limit harm to a population (admittedly they may not always be correct in hindsight) can be seen as a politicizing something at best, and authoritarian/tyrannical at worst by a group of people that have their heads buried so deeply that they cannot see anything else.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:54 AM   #1891
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Convoy participants are congesting downtown Lethbridge today as 3 people arrested in the Coutts blockade appear in court.

Sounds like a peaceful protest is happening outside the courthouse, only several hundred showed up. My wife's coworker's husband is part of the protestors and he claimed there was going to be a few thousand....
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 11:08 AM   #1892
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Convoy participants are congesting downtown Lethbridge today as 3 people arrested in the Coutts blockade appear in court.

Sounds like a peaceful protest is happening outside the courthouse, only several hundred showed up. My wife's coworker's husband is part of the protestors and he claimed there was going to be a few thousand....
Nothing like showing up to support people who are accused of plotting to murder RCMP officers. There should be zero people there supporting that. Zero.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 11:15 AM   #1893
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nothing like showing up to support people who are accused of plotting to murder RCMP officers. There should be zero people there supporting that. Zero.
I agree.

However, the ones in court today are not those accused of murder. These three are just charged with mischief over $5000.

https://lethbridgenewsnow.com/2022/1...utts-blockade/

That said, I still don't understand their line of thinking and why a protest needs to happen for this........ well, complete that sentence yourself. I'll be kind today.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 11:16 AM   #1894
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

They've had signs up for this for the past 2 weeks asking people for their support in the area. It's been nice to see what houses/businesses in the county support this.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 11:24 AM   #1895
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
They've had signs up for this for the past 2 weeks asking people for their support in the area. It's been nice to see what houses/businesses in the county support this.
I'm blind, I didn't even see a sign... unless there's not much support.
Old 11-04-2022, 11:34 AM   #1896
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://publicorderemergencycommissi...16-november-3/

I was listening to this yesterday, and you kinda need the context of his entire time on the stand before this to really really see what's going on. James Bauder was playing for sympathy, talking about love, the bearhug, and on and on. He'd break down occasionally crying, and was really all over the place, but in general putting out the appearance that he's a harmless good guy. That is not who he is. If you want a little context, start the video at 7:08.

This is really my favourite bit out of the hearings, because the government lawyer(I think? Maybe Ottawa) took an opening from the opposition and went back up to see if he could break the facade and show him for the bigot he is. It was a resounding success, and a reminder to all here who make up nicknames for Trudeau that we see what is behind that. Anyway, click the above link and go to 7:11:30, it takes less than a minute.

Watching these idiots get dummied on the stand is a bit like watching Better Call Saul. They don't stand a chance, and you can see when they are about to get humiliated, but they have no clue! So good.

This morning one of the protestors basically was forced to admit she couldn't deal with the protest in front of her own house with her own kids.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 11:46 AM   #1897
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

That was so cringe to watch. Like a trainwreck, I was rubbernecking but I couldn't look away.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 11:46 AM   #1898
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Sounds like a very small number of supporters for a country of 38M people
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 11:57 AM   #1899
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Sure, but I was just supporting calgarygeologist's point that health experts continue to warn about the ongoing impacts on society, and asserting a separate observation that politicization of a health issue creates a toxic environment that makes it difficult for people with genuine health concerns to openly discuss or share info about it without being pulled into a political debate.

A reply of "Those morons and their idiot followers started it" fits pretty well with the point that it's hard to engage at all without being drawn into the left/right political conflict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
It is too bad that genuine sharing of information gets mixed with politicized nonsense. It still makes the usefulness of the data zero. We have far better ways to collate data than sift through social media.

This has been true long before COVID. Look through social media for nonsense about statin drugs. Studies over and over prove their usefulness in extending life and improving health overall, but you'll see endless rants about cancer and joint deterioration which simply aren't true
I'm certainly not saying that health guidance/policy should be based off of social media content. It shouldn't be based off of politics either. That would be ridiculous. In cases where there is good research-based medical guidance, people should take it seriously.

That said, usefulness of information also depends upon needs. For someone dealing with immediate health concerns where there is not yet consensus in high-quality and reliable guidance grounded in research, or where the healthcare professionals they have access to are not aware of any such guidance to share with them, the anecdotal experiences of other people dealing with similar issues can be quite useful.

Old 11-04-2022, 11:57 AM   #1900
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
https://publicorderemergencycommissi...16-november-3/

I was listening to this yesterday, and you kinda need the context of his entire time on the stand before this to really really see what's going on. James Bauder was playing for sympathy, talking about love, the bearhug, and on and on. He'd break down occasionally crying, and was really all over the place, but in general putting out the appearance that he's a harmless good guy. That is not who he is. If you want a little context, start the video at 7:08.

This is really my favourite bit out of the hearings, because the government lawyer(I think? Maybe Ottawa) took an opening from the opposition and went back up to see if he could break the facade and show him for the bigot he is. It was a resounding success, and a reminder to all here who make up nicknames for Trudeau that we see what is behind that. Anyway, click the above link and go to 7:11:30, it takes less than a minute.

Watching these idiots get dummied on the stand is a bit like watching Better Call Saul. They don't stand a chance, and you can see when they are about to get humiliated, but they have no clue! So good.

This morning one of the protestors basically was forced to admit she couldn't deal with the protest in front of her own house with her own kids.
Old Stock Canadian Unity.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post: