Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #101
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I find it so strange to see the hate for Superstore, and to hear it's the dirty, low quality grocery store.

Here it's the big, clean, bright, better store.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #102
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I find it so strange to see the hate for Superstore, and to hear it's the dirty, low quality grocery store.

Here it's the big, clean, bright, better store.
I hated Superstore when the only ones I'd been too were Shawnessy and Deerfoot Meadows. But when I moved to Airdrie the on there was great. Now I go to the one in Seton sometimes and it's nice as well

Last edited by btimbit; 05-16-2019 at 11:08 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #103
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
They should do a better job at #3...

I am just elated that they actually opened up the middle aisle to access the tills. Going in from the sides was such a gong show. You had all of those middle tills that only had a couple of customers, and congestion at the far-end tills..
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:29 AM   #104
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I have to laugh at that as more than once I've asked to go ahead and basically been told the same thing.

Because it's not the number of items that have to be scanned that takes up the time. Person with 1 item doens't get through much faster than person with 30 items. The cashiers go pretty fast with that, it's the payment that takes up the time. I think I would rather be in a line of 5 people with 20 items each, than a line of 10 people with 1 item.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #105
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Superstore in Seton is great. I shop primarily at superstore, Walmart and Costco in that order. Buying food at sobeys is like lighting your bbq cash
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #106
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I mean.... I get the notion that shopping for groceries at Midtown Co-op or Urban Fare can be a spiritual experience, meant to stimulate your senses. But most of the times I don't want that. All I want is to get all the stuff I need at one place at a decent price. That's why I shop almost exclusively at Superstore. For specialty items like San Marzano tomatoes or dry aged tomahawk steak, I'll go to the other places, but I would straight up go broke if I shopped at one of those places exclusively.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:37 AM   #107
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Yes... Plus checking your card at the door, even though you're gonna get checked at the register. Then being asked if it's really you in the picture.

I refuse to go to Costco on principal alone. Screw that place.
They are checking your receipt at the door not to make sure you didn't steal stuff, but to make sure you weren't double-charged for anything.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #108
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't stand Country Hills Superstore, it's a gong show there at the best of times. It's the only one in NW Calgary which rules out shopping there for us as nothing else is remotely close by.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:23 PM   #109
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a scenario I'm sure that has played out for everyone over the years in a similar manner. You survey the checkout lines and take the one that's backed up the least thinking you found the path of least resistance. The people ahead of you include an older couple. Man stands behind the woman as they both survey the screen as the cashier scans their items. Old man whispers into wife's ear and she asks for price check on obscure vegetable. Cashier does an announcement for a price check. Time elapses and nothing happens. Cashier once again makes an announcement. Time elapses and finally a clerk comes by and goes to do the check. Time elapses. Clerk comes back and say price is right and it's not on sale so $1.50 more for obscure vegetable. Old man whispers to wife and she tells cashier they don't want the item. Meanwhile the lines that were longer initially have all cycled and people that were behind you on other lines have already bagged their groceries and are leaving. I guarantee there is no other grocery store in this country where you encounter this more than Superstore.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-16-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:26 PM   #110
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I can't stand Country Hills Superstore, it's a gong show there at the best of times. It's the only one in NW Calgary which rules out shopping there for us as nothing else is remotely close by.
There's one on the west side of Centre Street at the Northmount junction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #111
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's grocery shopping 101. Don't get in line behind old people.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #112
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Shhhhhhhsh!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #113
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not easy to do in a Superstore.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:48 PM   #114
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, no, no.....Grocery Shopping 101 is "Keep your elbows up!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:08 PM   #115
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Technicalities!!

From my place that one is a non starter to get to. The one in Coventry Hills is closer time wise but certainly not worth the extra drive to get to. And it's way in the NE.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #116
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Here's a scenario I'm sure that has played out for everyone over the years in a similar manner. You survey the checkout lines and take the one that's backed up the least thinking you found the path of least resistance. The people ahead of you include an older couple. Man stands behind the woman as they both survey the screen as the cashier scans their items. Old man whispers into wife's ear and she asks for price check on obscure vegetable. Cashier does an announcement for a price check. Time elapses and nothing happens. Cashier once again makes an announcement. Time elapses and finally a clerk comes by and goes to do the check. Time elapses. Clerk comes back and say price is right and it's not on sale so $1.50 more for obscure vegetable. Old man whispers to wife and she tells cashier they don't want the item. Meanwhile the lines that were longer initially have all cycled and people that were behind you on other lines have already bagged their groceries and are leaving. I guarantee there is no other grocery store in this country where you encounter this more than Superstore.

I don't see anything wrong in that situation when a price check is needed, just to put the item aside and continue on. Ask them to pay for that those particular items at the customer service counter instead. The customer with their obscure vegetable or believes that something should be on sale - sorry, take the item and go to customer service. If you don't want it, leave it there.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #117
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Was in line behind these two at Superstore about 6 months ago while I had my impatient 2 year old with me. But this time they were asking the cashier what the price was that came up for each and every individual item while they rifled through a flyer for a No-Frills and a flyer for a Save-On and debated each item whether they were keeping it or sending it back and would they go to the other store to find it for 10 cents cheaper. Half the time they pushed back at the cashier saying how ridiculous it was that a cucumber could be 30 cents more at Superstore, and then told her they don't want it. Complained that Superstore wouldn't honour 2 for $ deals listed at the other store. After he bagged the milk she asks him what the expiry date was on it and then she says maybe we shouldn't get it.

I believe it took 25 minutes for them to clear out while we were trapped. We had already unloaded our cart full of items on to the belt and people had lined up behind us.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:58 PM   #118
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Was in line behind these two at Superstore about 6 months ago while I had my impatient 2 year old with me. But this time they were asking the cashier what the price was that came up for each and every individual item while they rifled through a flyer for a No-Frills and a flyer for a Save-On and debated each item whether they were keeping it or sending it back and would they go to the other store to find it for 10 cents cheaper. Half the time they pushed back at the cashier saying how ridiculous it was that a cucumber could be 30 cents more at Superstore, and then told her they don't want it. Complained that Superstore wouldn't honour 2 for $ deals listed at the other store. After he bagged the milk she asks him what the expiry date was on it and then she says maybe we shouldn't get it.

I believe it took 25 minutes for them to clear out while we were trapped. We had already unloaded our cart full of items on to the belt and people had lined up behind us.
Yeah the worst thing is that you get trapped with several people behind you and you are kind of at the mercy of these incredibly cheap people. I get if an item is say $5 more than you expect but haggling over a couple bucks on a $100+ grocery bill it's just too much. I feel like just handing them a $5 bill and telling them to take the foot and move on.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:51 PM   #119
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah the worst thing is that you get trapped with several people behind you and you are kind of at the mercy of these incredibly cheap people. I get if an item is say $5 more than you expect but haggling over a couple bucks on a $100+ grocery bill it's just too much. I feel like just handing them a $5 bill and telling them to take the foot and move on.

a few years ago i had a lady in front of me arguing with the cashier over 75 cents or something. i had my daughter with me and i could tell from her body language that we needed to get going. i pulled a loonie out of my pocket, held out my hand and said, "HERE!" while motioning for her to take the loonie.

she was NOT impressed, but i made my point.

she ended up taking whatever it was she was upset about and not my loonie. once the lady was gone the cashier looked at me and i said, 'thank you - thank you soooo much!'
Old 05-16-2019, 08:15 PM   #120
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Not true, I’ve tried (after I Let my membership expire) and they have stopped me.

Really? When I used to go to the one by Heritage for ice cream, they never cared. I just walked in and if they said, “excuse me, sir” I would just respond with “just getting ice cream” and kept walking. Maybe the trick is to not stop and engage with them. They are usually too busy to bother chasing after you for going to get a hot dog or whatever.