Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-18-2020, 05:37 PM   #101
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Thanks, ya Iv'e been trying to make sure my active characters have full materia loads, but it's a bit of a pain. Do you swap characters often, or just pick 3(err, 2) and max them, and ignore the rest?
Naturally it's up to you, but I guess if I had to make a "goal" it would be to have at least one version of every useful skill or magic in every party combination. The only other gameplay thing I'll suggest is to get the Great Gospel limit break right away once you leave Corel Desert because, I guess you could say it's a missable sidequest (and well worth it!).

Here're the instructions:

You also need to learn Awrith's lv 2 and lv 3 limit breaks before you can teach her Great Gospel, so do it ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I struggle to say it's the best soundtrack of the FF line. I would argue FFVI is a stronger and more complete soundtrack. Late SNES RPG titles all had fantastic soundtracks (think FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Tales of Phantasia, Terranigma) because the composers had mastered the sound chip at that point. The PS1 sound chip was a huge jump and also had MIDI capabilities, but he wasn't able to really use it well until FFIX. Obviously there's really memorable tracks in FFVII (just like FFIV has memorable tracks despite the quality), but I can't really suggest it's the best.
Obviously it's super subjective, but when I think of my favourite tracks in the FF series, I think of

Liberi Fatali (FFVIII)
Still More Fighting (FFVII)
One Winged Angel (FFVII)
Tina's Theme (FFVI)
The Decisive Battle (FFVI)
Vamo Alla Flamenco (FFIX)

In that exact order. So I'd probably pick FFVII as the best soundtrack.

Needless to say, but that recomposed version of Still More Fighting in the FFVIII Remake posted above gave me shivers.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-18-2020 at 08:16 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 05:54 PM   #102
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
I'm at level 28, is it a good time to go to Junon and level up? What level should I aim for?

I've left there as high as level 55 - 60 on disc one. Find the room with all the Shinra troops training and go to the red box in the middle and activate the alarm.

Bring Ramuh and Lighting 2/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

Liberi Fatali (FFVIII)
One Winged Angel (FFVII)
Tina's Theme (FFVI)

I think 9 is my all time favorite sound track. I love "You're not Alone" and the Beatrix theme, especially the sped up version during the siege of Alexandria when Steiner and Beatrix expect to die together. Though none of the songs in FF9 have the immediate cache that 'One Winged Angel' and 'Still More Fighting' have which is why I differ to 7 being one of the best sound tracks. The opening riff on 'Still More Fighting' always amps me up.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 02-18-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 06:04 PM   #103
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of leveling...I one leveled FF1 on the NES up to 99. Then I went and beat Chaos with one hit from my Black Belt/Master. It took an eternity to get there, but totally worth it for the smackdown. Ah, the days of being unemployed.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 06:10 PM   #104
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Speaking of leveling...I one leveled FF1 on the NES up to 99. Then I went and beat Chaos with one hit from my Black Belt/Master. It took an eternity to get there, but totally worth it for the smackdown. Ah, the days of being unemployed.
I've never played FFI / FFII / FFIII / FFXII / FFXV or the MMORPGs, but of the ones I've played, I thought FFIV was the one where you needed to level up big time. Anything under Lv90 and the endgame felt impossible. In FFVI I think you could get away with being around Level 60 as long as everyone was optimized to deal tons of damage and FFVII naturally got you to around level 75-80 ish. Though in FFVII levels mean very little by the endgame... if you can teach everybody Knights of the Round Table it's a cakewalk.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 02-18-2020, 06:11 PM   #105
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Obviously it's super subjective, but when I think of my favourite tracks in the FF series, I think of

Liberi Fatali (FFVIII)
One Winged Angel (FFVII)
Tina's Theme (FFVI)

In that exact order. So I'd probably pick FFVII as the best soundtrack.
My super objective top 10 off the top of my head, obviously influenced by recency bias:
Theme of Love (FFIV)
Kids Run Through the City Corner (FFVI)
Searching for Friends (FFVI)
Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII (FFVII)
Birth of a God (FFVII)
Battle 2 (FFIX)
Besaid Island (FFX)
Wayward Daughter (FFXIV)
Unchanging, Everchanging (FFXIV)
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 06:14 PM   #106
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

8 has the best ost in my opinion, too bad it’s trapped inside a terrible game
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:14 PM   #107
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh yeah, actually before Vamo Alla Flamenco I'd put Theme of The Last Story from The Last Story. Which "isn't an FF" but is actually totally an FF.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:25 PM   #108
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
I've never played FFI / FFII / FFIII / FFXII / FFXV or the MMORPGs, but of the ones I've played, I thought FFIV was the one where you needed to level up big time. Anything under Lv90 and the endgame felt impossible. In FFVI I think you could get away with being around Level 60 as long as everyone was optimized to deal tons of damage and FFVII naturally got you to around level 75-80 ish. Though in FFVII levels mean very little by the endgame... if you can teach everybody Knights of the Round Table it's a cakewalk.

KOTRT + Quadra Magic + Mime + Quadra Magic = come back in an hour.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 06:44 PM   #109
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe a round of Life3 beforehand for tanking purposes, and a round of Haste, but basically, what you said. That Summon was so overpowered with the only cost being that it... took a while.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:24 PM   #110
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
KOTRT + Quadra Magic + Mime + Quadra Magic = come back in an hour.
*Pushes glasses up nose* Any true FF7 player would know that Quadra Magic doesnt work with Knights of the Round. You're stuck with Bahamut ZERO.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:56 PM   #111
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

BTW, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call on 3DS is the best rhythm game ever. Specifically Curtain Call. Don't get the original. It sucks.

It's my most played 3DS game, by far, and specifically just for the music.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:05 AM   #112
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
*Pushes glasses up nose* Any true FF7 player would know that Quadra Magic doesnt work with Knights of the Round. You're stuck with Bahamut ZERO.

Sorry, It was W-Summon with Knights and then Mime. Sue me. And then Sue yourself.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 02-19-2020, 07:52 AM   #113
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Final Fantasy XIII-2 has one of the best soundtracks of the series, just no one played it really because XIII was bad and a lot of fans passed after that. It's actually pretty good, the best single player FF of the last decade easily. It's coming to Game Pass sometime soon, I'd recommend you check it out!

A top 3 villain theme:

And the absolute best version of Clash on the Big Bridge:

OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:19 AM   #114
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Sorry, It was W-Summon with Knights and then Mime. Sue me. And then Sue yourself.
But that's whack. Try this: 7 counter-mimes on Cloud --> use Omnislash --> wait.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:19 AM   #115
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'm still waiting for a PS4 (or preferably) Switch port of the XIII series.

...even if I hated Lightning Returns the first time around.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:33 AM   #116
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
But that's whack. Try this: 7 counter-mimes on Cloud --> use Omnislash --> wait.

That's how I beat Emerald Weapon for the first time when I was 13. I still don't think that's as long as 4x Knights.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 03-02-2020, 12:53 PM   #117
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The demo is out on the PS store. I probably won't play it since I'd rather just do the entire thing at once when the game releases, but I will download it to unlock the free theme that also releases when the game comes out.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1234389422608723969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 05:04 PM   #118
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah maybe if progress carried over I'd check it out. I'm getting the game anyways so I'd just have to play the intro portion twice.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:04 AM   #119
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Played through the demo last night and I haven't been following it that closely so didn't realize the combat was action combat which made the gameplay so much better IMO. Personally if I wanted to play the old style combat I could just play the old FF7 on PS4 so this was quite refreshing. That said is this still episodic? because that is a deal breaker for me as nothing would be worse than having to wait for the next part so if it is I wil wait until its fully released to play.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:17 AM   #120
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Played through the demo last night and I haven't been following it that closely so didn't realize the combat was action combat which made the gameplay so much better IMO. Personally if I wanted to play the old style combat I could just play the old FF7 on PS4 so this was quite refreshing. That said is this still episodic? because that is a deal breaker for me as nothing would be worse than having to wait for the next part so if it is I wil wait until its fully released to play.
It is, this part 1 will end as the party leaves Midgar (though that first part of the game has been vastly expanded on to account for this, according to Square).

You might as well just play it, it's not going to be coming out with a new part every few months like some games. I don't imagine there'd be anything less than two years before the next part, and that might even be generous. And it will very likely be more parts beyond that too.