Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-12-2019, 09:29 AM   #301
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Ugh, NTSB has released this info about the Atlas Air 767 freighter that crashed outside Houston:

"the NTSB has revealed that Atlas Air 767 Freighter flight 5Y3591 dove based on column input. The nose was pushed over by one of the pilots, along with taking the engines to full thrust. The dive continued at a 49 degree angle and reached 430 knots before impacting."

https://www.satcom.guru/2019/03/atla...of-column.html
I was speculating with friends after looking at the flightradar data this is what was the cause, sad to see it was true.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #302
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well not fully confirmed yet, but definitely one of the possibilities. Once the CVR stuff gets released we'll probably know for sure.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:14 AM   #303
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ugh, NTSB has released this info about the Atlas Air 767 freighter that crashed outside Houston:

"the NTSB has revealed that Atlas Air 767 Freighter flight 5Y3591 dove based on column input. The nose was pushed over by one of the pilots, along with taking the engines to full thrust. The dive continued at a 49 degree angle and reached 430 knots before impacting."

https://www.satcom.guru/2019/03/atla...of-column.html
Wow, that makes for an intriguing twist.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #304
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Jesus...I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. When I saw the video clip of the plane diving into the ground, I felt like that might have been a possibility.

Very sad.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:44 PM   #305
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Now it apparently looks like pilot error..

49 degrees nose down? Yikes.

https://www-businessinsider-sg.cdn.a...rom%20%251%24s
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:04 AM   #306
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flair Airlines took delivery of their first company owned 737-800 yesterday. Flight arrived here from KEF last night. Feel free to discuss this new livery of theirs too. I guess you'll always notice it, probably what they were going for...

Old 03-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #307
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Odd a delivery flight would come here rather than their base , or do they intend to immediately put the aircraft into service from here?

Brutal livery, it looks like the paint machine threw up all over the plane. Too bad, it’s a nice bird otherwise. Maybe WestJet can get it on a short term lease while the Max issues gets sorted out. I’d be surprised if flair is around for very long.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:39 AM   #308
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone know anything about that small red plane that buzzes the SE all the time? It's like a small two seater type or so of some kind, reddish orange in color I'd say.

Over and over for at least a couple years, it flies quite low...maybe 500 -1000 feet. Seems to fly a rough circle from around the East Hills Costco area, southwest over Foothills Industrial then East I'd say almost to Chestermere, then back west doing it all over again. Almost any work day it's out there.

Training plane of some kind?
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:36 AM   #309
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Anyone know anything about that small red plane that buzzes the SE all the time? It's like a small two seater type or so of some kind, reddish orange in color I'd say.

Over and over for at least a couple years, it flies quite low...maybe 500 -1000 feet. Seems to fly a rough circle from around the East Hills Costco area, southwest over Foothills Industrial then East I'd say almost to Chestermere, then back west doing it all over again. Almost any work day it's out there.

Training plane of some kind?
Possibly a pipeline patrol? Not sure what pipelines are in that area or if this is s commonplace down here but it’s a common occurrence on other lines. Or at least it used to be when I was working as a summer student manybyears ago.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:58 AM   #310
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Possibly a pipeline patrol? Not sure what pipelines are in that area or if this is s commonplace down here but it’s a common occurrence on other lines. Or at least it used to be when I was working as a summer student manybyears ago.
That's my guess as well. APPL line runs around that area, comes down stoney then two legs into Calgary, one along McKnight to supply the airport and another through the east Calgary landfill then along 52nd St. I know a lot of companies have cut down on their air watch but TNPI still do it daily, or at least did last time I worked on that line in 2015

Edit: map

Spoiler!

Last edited by btimbit; 03-30-2019 at 02:13 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:31 PM   #311
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d guess pipeline patrol too. Some late nights you also get meter reading flights over the city.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:25 PM   #312
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
That's my guess as well. APPL line runs around that area, comes down stoney then two legs into Calgary, one along McKnight to supply the airport and another through the east Calgary landfill then along 52nd St. I know a lot of companies have cut down on their air watch but TNPI still do it daily, or at least did last time I worked on that line in 2015

Edit: map

Yeah that looks like it could be what it is, definitely flies very similar to those lines. But almost every day, and several runs at a time? What exactly are they looking for, just any possible pipeline leaks?
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:47 PM   #313
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Yeah that looks like it could be what it is, definitely flies very similar to those lines. But almost every day, and several runs at a time? What exactly are they looking for, just any possible pipeline leaks?
Leaks are definitely part of it, a lot are detected that way, but people working near the line unauthorized is a big one as well. Especially with that line and being within city limits. Someone just working on a sprinkler system above it could easily turn into a bad situation. You don't want to be screwing around near a jet fuel line without the proper procedures in place.

That line does seem to get more surveillance than many I've worked on, I want to say air passes twice a day aren't uncommon. I think part of it is it's one of the biggest products lines in Alberta. Being a products line it's not just companies that lose money, when that line gets shut down, the price of gas goes up noticeably.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 07:33 AM   #314
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

WestJet has done it again, introducing #FlyreFestival

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 10:44 AM   #315
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honeywell and Inmarsat working on "Black Box in the Cloud":

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2019/0...oud-a-reality/

Quote:
One option is to set “a data frame and a frame rate that makes sense until a certain event, and then you accelerate it. It’s kind of like, ‘hey you’re pulling a whole chunk of data every five minutes or every 15 minutes, then all of a sudden an event occurs and you’ll be pulling it every 100 milliseconds.’ That’s one way they’re looking at it.” A defined trigger event could be an unapproved course deviation, for example.
“Another way is why not take a subset of the data and take that as a continuous stream? And that’s another method,” explained Peterson to Runway Girl Network. “As it is with data, there are a lot of different ways to do it, and costs associated, and what aspect of that is the most valuable.”

Last edited by Bigtime; 04-01-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:39 AM   #316
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few Harvard's, Hawk's, and Hornet's in town yesterday. Apparently leaving between 1-2pm today, could be some good noise.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:47 AM   #317
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A few Harvard's, Hawk's, and Hornet's in town yesterday. Apparently leaving between 1-2pm today, could be some good noise.
Saw either the Hawks or Hornets departing yesterday. They were too far away to get a good visual but it was a two ship formation. I want to say Hawks because they didn't look big enough for Hornets even at a distance and were not as loud as I would expect for Hornets either.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:07 PM   #318
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know two Hornets and two Hawks departed Saturday, don't know what that left behind for departures yesterday.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #319
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I know two Hornets and two Hawks departed Saturday, don't know what that left behind for departures yesterday.

I definitely heard them leave over in Country Hills, ran outside to take a look and they were long gone.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:34 PM   #320
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1116434620017455110
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post: