Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-14-2019, 07:37 AM   #821
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

this morning marked my first summer ride into work. shorts, no ear protection, light gloves (no bringing a second pair of gloves), no toe warmers on the shoes etc.

What a glorious morning. It will be nice to have a lighter pack on the way home this afternoon.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #822
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Heard a cyclist on the segregated bike path (by Eau Claire market) tell a long boarder that it’s a bike lane, not a longboard lane. Is this legit?
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:55 AM   #823
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

EDIT: I thought it was a cycle track he was on. The boarder is in the right. Cyclist is wrong.

I hear they might be changing the rules to allow skateboards on the cycle track.

Last edited by KTrain; 05-14-2019 at 10:23 AM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:56 AM   #824
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
Heard a cyclist on the segregated bike path (by Eau Claire market) tell a long boarder that it’s a bike lane, not a longboard lane. Is this legit?
No way. If he has wheels, he's totally allowed there.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #825
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I've got no problem with it. Eau Claire is crazy busy, so just slow down and enjoy the cruise through that section.

Cycle tracks are a different beast, and that is where city council was looking to make changes to allow more than bikes. Pathways are all good for multi-use.

It also bugs me to hear about encounters like that, here we are sniping at each other sharing insanely small right of ways compared to what we give vehicles. Let's get along and foster an environment that gets more people riding on all types of human powered transport.

Last edited by Bigtime; 05-14-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:49 PM   #826
Chealion
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Cycle tracks are a different beast, and that is where city council was looking to make changes to allow more than bikes. Pathways are all good for multi-use.
For what it's worth the change to allow skateboarders, roller bladers, etc. and such passed. They couldn't allow wheelchairs however because the province defines someone in a wheelchair as a pedestrian.

Also, woo. 12th Ave Cycle Track extension into Sunalta: https://calgary.ca/12ave
Chealion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chealion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #827
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t mind sharing the road with skaters etc, as long as everyone is going generally the same speed and direction. It’s when you have a wide disparity that trouble starts.

Can we at least agree that unchecked dogs on pathways are the worst? I almost had a Ken-type incident yesterday along the river in Inglewood when some random dog came running at my bike out of nowhere. 50 feet up ahead, the owner yells “Sorry, I told him not to bother bikers!” Like the dog is supposed to be some sort of human who takes nuanced directions?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 05:03 PM   #828
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
Honestly surprised it was at least a 'vehicle' that got his attention.

There's been countless times I've been in Eau Claire and wanted to stop to ask why the diddle-daddling pedestrians chose the bike path over the enormous amount of other sidewalks available to them. As a runner, I can at least get why a runner would use the bike path to run unimpeded by a bunch of slow walking pedestrians. But why the people who are just out for a stroll? Somehow they are often usually walking down the wrong way too. Are they just that oblivious, entitled, or do they hate cyclists that much?
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:06 PM   #829
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just rode past there and a guy in cast was walking in the bike lane. Maybe that's why he is in a cast int he first place? Dummy dumb dumb.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #830
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did he at least have a sweet knee scooter? If so, totally fair game to take on the path.

Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:34 PM   #831
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Just generally we as cyclists need to be more aware, courteous and responsible. The past few days have been beautiful for riding, so there’s a lot of people out and about, which is great, but please.. slow down!

I have had a few near misses and I’ve been near pedestrians on the pathway who have had near misses and it’s due to some serious tour de commute riders going way too fast and not notifying anyone.

I generally ride 19-24km/h on the path (My eBike shows my speed) but in high traffic and blind corners, I take it easy.

Last Monday I was going around the bend on the wood bridge on the south end of the CP rail tracks and found another cyclists in my path. I slammed on the brakes, but the wood was wet so I bailed and he rode over my leg.

Fort Calgary was crawling with people and there were cyclists whipping by all over the place. It was really pissing me off.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:07 PM   #832
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Did he at least have a sweet knee scooter? If so, totally fair game to take on the path.
Nope, just limping along.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:35 PM   #833
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So if a guy was looking for an e-bike to ride to work all summer, what one should he look for?

I don’t have a very long ride (I live in a pretty small town) but there will be times where I might take a longer way home. I was thinking e-bike so I don’t get too sweaty if I happen to be against the wind before work. I will have about mostly pavement on my ride but I will have a tad bit of gravel as well. I also would like to take my bike when we camp for rides with my children. Would just like some knowledgeable cyclists to recommend some bike for me.

Thanks
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:40 PM   #834
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Last Monday I was going around the bend on the wood bridge on the south end of the CP rail tracks and found another cyclists in my path. I slammed on the brakes, but the wood was wet so I bailed and he rode over my leg.
That corner always gets a blind double ding from me. I had a guy behind me ask why I rang as he passed me after- that's why.

On a side note- I bought my replacement helmet and tail light today. The guys at the Beltline MEC are so much better than the ones in the south. I had two guys looking after me (bike tech started while waiting for a sales rep to get free.) Whereas at the south store I asked two different people for help, and got pretty much a "helmets are right there."

One of my good friends has offered to do my route with me the first day back. Hoping for next week- right now I'm feeling the whiplash a little more than the concussion. Stitches are out and my face is now healed to the point where people are asking me "did you get into a fight?" as opposed to "Holy crap! What the hell happened to you."
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:19 PM   #835
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I don’t mind sharing the road with skaters etc, as long as everyone is going generally the same speed and direction. It’s when you have a wide disparity that trouble starts.

Can we at least agree that unchecked dogs on pathways are the worst? I almost had a Ken-type incident yesterday along the river in Inglewood when some random dog came running at my bike out of nowhere. 50 feet up ahead, the owner yells “Sorry, I told him not to bother bikers!” Like the dog is supposed to be some sort of human who takes nuanced directions?
To be fair, there is already a pretty big speed differential amongst cyclists...rollerbladers and longboarders are pretty similar to slow pedalers on cruiser bikes, and I think it's great that any of the above use the infrastructure. It's simply a matter of courtesy and respect, regardless of your conveyance and travel speed.

Another consideration on joggers - running on asphalt is a million times more pleasant than concrete for anyone with foot/knee/leg problems (but still way worse than dirt, gravel, or wood). I don't run nearly as much as I used to and never used the cycle tracks, but outside of rush hour I don't see much of a problem with it (assuming they're aware of the surroundings and respectful).

I also can't stand riders who whip through busy areas. The funny thing about Peace Bridge to Eau Claire to Fort Calgary is that there is a much less busy pathway running parallel the whole way (other side of the river along Memorial)...really no excuse to speed through the south side.

Dogs can be annoying, but I think we need to be cognizant that we can be just as disruptive to others' enjoyment (which is to say minimally)...in general if I'm passing another user and I'm not 100% confident they are predictable I'll let off the 'gas' and be ready to brake. Dogs are cute, so I really don't mind the few seconds I lose to slow down and pass them safely. My closest call in a while was last night - one goose chased another straight towards me from out of nowhere. Pathway hazards are everywhere!
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:15 AM   #836
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Spetch: I'd prolly wait for combustiblefuel to see your ebike question.

But if I had several hundred watts of electric assist, I'd go for a mid-drive fatbike for sure. I have a friend who rides on fat spiked in winter, skinny 29ner rim laced to a fat hub in summer, and also takes it out on the trail. He absolutely loves the thing. Even with my human power-only prejudice, I have to admit it was a blast to ride.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:34 AM   #837
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
So if a guy was looking for an e-bike to ride to work all summer, what one should he look for?

I don’t have a very long ride (I live in a pretty small town) but there will be times where I might take a longer way home. I was thinking e-bike so I don’t get too sweaty if I happen to be against the wind before work. I will have about mostly pavement on my ride but I will have a tad bit of gravel as well. I also would like to take my bike when we camp for rides with my children. Would just like some knowledgeable cyclists to recommend some bike for me.

Thanks

If you want to convert a bike you already have, Luna cycle sells kits with mid drive motor and battery. You basically swap out the bottom bracket and there are plenty of video tutorials. This is what I did.

You’ll have to figure out some of the other bits like battery mounting though. But you have more options like higher voltage and more capacity, and Luna batteries are great.

You can also buy whole eBike solutions, though a lot of them have battery/motor combos that aren’t as powerful, and they’re still pretty boutique, so they’re expensive.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:13 AM   #838
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

For every walker/jogger we complain about in the bike lanes in Eau Claire now I still see plenty of cyclists using the pedestrian path. Like I said, just slow down and enjoy that section of pathway, or as has been pointed out go to the north side pathway on the Bow and you can crank it up a bit more (at least until the Peace bridge area which is usually busy).
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:42 AM   #839
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

given you live in a smaller town perhaps this is not an issue, but i'd say that security should be a concern - i.e. will be the e-bike be safely stored somewhere when you are not riding it

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post

Thanks
Old 05-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #840
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
given you live in a smaller town perhaps this is not an issue, but i'd say that security should be a concern - i.e. will be the e-bike be safely stored somewhere when you are not riding it

Honestly rural crime is pretty high right now, that being said I will be able to keep it in my workplace when at work and in my attached garage when home. Camping would be the only issue, but from my limited research so far, most new ones have lockable/removable batteries.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote