Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #2281
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Playing in an interclub tourney in Turner Valley tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:31 AM   #2282
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
What was the deal at Delacour this year? I used to love playing it but heard nothing but bad things about it this year.
I heard fungus, but thats second hand hearsay. #2 green was heavily shaded by trees on the west side which definitely hurt the situation.

They are hosting the Monday Q for the ATB, I'd expect them to put the real green in play.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:37 AM   #2283
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Turner Valley has some lightning fast greens. There also wasn't a green where a person had a straight in putt. That said it turned into a great game of golf

Nanton won the second match and is leading 7 1/2 to 4 1/2 over Turner Valley in match play.

The next match will be at the Crows Nest Pass golf course near the end of August. The pro for TV got us a rate of $65 which includes a cart.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:45 AM   #2284
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just gonna leave this here....
Old 07-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #2285
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Playing Kananaskis (Lorette) this aft. Looking forward to it.

It's been a while, is the course walkable? Or is it cart required/recommended?
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #2286
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Playing Kananaskis (Lorette) this aft. Looking forward to it.

It's been a while, is the course walkable? Or is it cart required/recommended?
Walkable for sure.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #2287
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished playing Bethpage Black. Toughest golf course I’ve set foot on. Fairways are ridiculously narrow and the rough eats up balls, making an already long golf course even longer. 7,400 yards plays like 8,000. Bunkers are punishing and the greens are both subtle and fast. Blew my handicap in the first six holes. A real confidence crushing experience hole-after-hole. Loved it!
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 02:47 PM   #2288
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Just finished playing Bethpage Black. Toughest golf course I’ve set foot on. Fairways are ridiculously narrow and the rough eats up balls, making an already long golf course even longer. 7,400 yards plays like 8,000. Bunkers are punishing and the greens are both subtle and fast. Blew my handicap in the first six holes. A real confidence crushing experience hole-after-hole. Loved it!
How did you get on is my question? I am close to there sometimes too and have always thought about trying to get on, but the stories of sleeping in your car, waking up and getting a "now serving" number, and then waiting has me reluctant.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:49 PM   #2289
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any of you guys use an Apple Watch app for GPS, and if so, what are you using?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:06 AM   #2290
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
How did you get on is my question? I am close to there sometimes too and have always thought about trying to get on, but the stories of sleeping in your car, waking up and getting a "now serving" number, and then waiting has me reluctant.
I was really lucky. I tried the online booking system for a week and came up empty. Instead I booked for Blue and reigned myself to playing that. I decided to show up at 6:00 am and see if there was any chance of walking on. As luck would have it they had an opening at 8:00. So I got on Black and an hour and a half earlier than I was scheduled. Very lucky.

A little secret about Bethpage. They maintain a ridged tee sheet, but keep a spacer time at the top of each hour. Depending on the pace they can toss out the time or fill it with walk ons. Go early during the week and take advantage of the spacer time. Book one of the other courses for mid-morning as your backup, then try and walk on Black. If you’re booking another course do Red, Blue, Green, Yellow in that order. Red is a great course as well, and Blue is not too shabby.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 07:58 AM   #2291
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Kananskis was awesome. you Just can’t beat the scenery up there. The par 5 on the back nine of Lorette (don’t remember the number) is one of the nicest holes in golf I reckon. Pound your t shot up against the backdrop of a giant mountain with the kananaskis river beside you. Pace of play was slow as hell however. Shot a 41/48 for one of my better scores this year.

Off to Heritage Pointe this AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:03 AM   #2292
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Any of you guys use an Apple Watch app for GPS, and if so, what are you using?
I use swing U. It works fine (syncs to your phone while you are playing) but it can be buggy. I’ve lost a few hole scores where it didn’t sync and had to plug them in by memory. Last round I had to reset it a few times to get it back working which was annoying.

It runs off gps and you can add your scores in on your watch which is good enough for me. The laser finders are way more accurate but I don’t need that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 10:21 AM   #2293
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kananaskis is in unbelievable shape this year.

The 'downside' to the mountain courses seem to be pretty firm greens that aren't all that quick. Although it had rained a bunch the day before we played (which made it cart path only which is absolutely brutal.. should have asked for a refund on the cart). But roots/needles have not affected that course whatsoever.

For $125 as an Alberta resident you're paying almost half of a Banff springs or a Silvertip. Pretty great if you ask me.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:44 AM   #2294
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
When I played in 2014, I showed up at about 6:20 AM on a weekday. There were quite a few single spots available on the Black course, and no one in line at the big tee time board. I ended up playing at 8:20 with a local guy who plays all the time and two younger guys who played college golf. I was a 10 handicap at the time and shot 94, and felt like I played really well. Haha. It was August 19th so it was super hot, got up to about 37 degrees and of course you have to walk and the elevation changes are insane.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 10:39 PM   #2295
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Played CG&CC today, course is in great shape. Ive been lucky enough to play there a few times and today’s greens were the fastest I’ve ever seen them there.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:28 PM   #2296
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Very quick greens at river spirit but they need to patch both the divots on both the greens and the tee boxes. No one is seeding or fixing their own!

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:00 PM   #2297
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I played my worst round of golf today....at Banff Springs too. What a waste. Beautiful scenery and lots of wildlife but the track was just meh. Luckily I got on with a discount. Why are there so many rocks in their bunkers?
Spoiler!

I played Bearspaw last Thursday. This course is growing on me every time I think about my round. I am glad I carted haha.

Off to Carnmoney tomorrow.
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:40 AM   #2298
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i am playing the winston this afternoon. had a terrible sleep last night - my prediction is 110
Old 07-29-2019, 11:40 AM   #2299
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i am playing the winston this afternoon. had a terrible sleep last night - my prediction is 110
I shot a smooth 100 there last weekend in brutal winds.

That place gets very narrow when it's blowing.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:19 AM   #2300
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Played Delacour today, was quite disappointed with the condition of the greens. The course is just not as good as the last few years. Number 2 is now on its permanent green and it probably shouldn't be. When I first stepped on the green, it felt really weird; it was too soft. I went to fix a ball mark and my divot repair tool just went into the green far easier than it should. It was also super slow.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow