Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2019, 07:32 PM   #2081
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Moved into a 10 year old home with a hydronic radiant floor heating system in the basement that isn't working. Do I need to call an electrician, a plumber, or both? The green light/switch to turn it on or off isn't lighting up so I assume it's an electrical issue but I have no idea.

Thanks in advance
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #2082
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Call a plumber.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:56 PM   #2083
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the breaker on?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:06 PM   #2084
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
I need a recommendation on getting a garage door spring replaced ASAP.

Who has a guy ???

If you haven’t found someone yet, I used:

https://www.doneritedoors.com/

403 671 5001

Highly recommend. Quick, good price, professional
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:07 PM   #2085
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What does the thermostat look like? We had to change some of the settings a bit for ours to come on as the room temperature was set pretty low for it to kick on. They can be kind of fidgety, but having warm floors is pretty awesome!
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:21 PM   #2086
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Breakers seem to be on and thermostat is just a simple manual dial that was set to 10 or so. Tried turning it up to 20 but still nothing. Sounds like a plumber is the way to go.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #2087
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plumber is the best bet, but one small check you can do is find the circuit board where power comes into. There will probably be a fuse right after the incoming power (probably a regular plug/cord). If you have a multimeter, turn the breaker off, remove the fuse and test continuity (google it). Might just be a blown fuse and easy to replace.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #2088
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know if my house has a sewer backup valve but I think I need one due to the problems that can occur. How can I find out if I have one and what’s involved in installing a valve?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #2089
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should be fairly obvious is you have one or not, they shouldn't be at all hidden. In your furnace room, you should have a drain near your furnace/hot water tank. It would be around that spot. Should look a bit like l large plastic lid with a clean out cap mounted prominently.

I haven't priced it out myself but have heard quotes for around $1500 to have it installed. It's not especially difficult to do but does require breaking up part of your floor to install it.

Most certainly a good idea, especially if your area is prone to backups. When installed, make sure you call your insurer to advise, may lower your rates.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:35 PM   #2090
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can anyone recommend someone to speak with about drainage and eaves? I have water flowing across the sidewalk (city) and it’s basically a couple inches thick of ice. I’m certainly no expert on this, but I need someone who can help me figure out how to fix the drainage issue leading to that.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:48 PM   #2091
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

How effective are sewer backup valves? I have had sewer issues in the past due to my sewer line having to run 200+ feet to the mainline.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:46 AM   #2092
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't have numbers really but if you have had sewer b/u issues in the past, having one is certainly better than not. It's just a simple flapper that closes should things start moving in the wrong direction. I'd imagine they are quite effective.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:23 PM   #2093
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have considered installing a backup valve but a plumber told me he wasn’t confident in those valves. He also mentioned that a backup valve may cause other issues.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:44 AM   #2094
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a good residential electrician? Looking to do a number of easy but time consuming things:

- replace all existing silver halogen pot lights to white with LED's
- replace all switches in the house from the old yellow to white
- replace light fixtures in the kitchen and chandelier lighting in dining room & entrance
- install some outdoor lighting
- troubleshoot/repair deck lighting
- few other small fixes/suggestions

Thanks in advance
Old 03-31-2019, 12:37 PM   #2095
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recommend neutech.ca when troubleshooting is required.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #2096
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an apple tree that needs a serious pruning ...anyone have recommendations for a tree care company?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:13 PM   #2097
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I have an apple tree that needs a serious pruning ...anyone have recommendations for a tree care company?
Lodgepole Horticulture
403-938-1797
http://lodgepolehort.ca/
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 08:11 AM   #2098
arcfyr
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Hey everyone, just looking for a bit of advice as a relatively inexperienced (but enthusaistic) homeowner. First spring in our home since moving in last fall. The deck looks like it needs some serious TLC. I've been looking for a bit of a bigger project (and it's outside, so I'd feel less bad about messing anything up temporarily )

I see that most of the planks have some cracking along their lengths and splitting near the ends. All planks appear to be structurally sound to me when walking on each one (no weakened sections that I can tell from above). A few are bowed horizontally as well but not too bad. I took a few pictures here:

https://imgur.com/a/tjkGXwn

I assume that this deck is about 8 years old (same age as the house). No idea what was done with it previously or how it was maintained.

My plan is to sand everything down and fill in the cracks, clean everything with a deck cleaner and scrub thoroughly, then put on an opaque deck stain/coating for maximum protection and to partially hide the fillings. Looking at what's available from local suppliers and shops near me, I see that Flood Pro and Sherwin-Williams are both available and seem fairly well-regarded. If anyone has any suggestions I'm 100% open.
arcfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:31 AM   #2099
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is really nothing wrong with the boards. Don't fill the cracks. Don't use a deck sealer. There are none that stand up to Calgary's weather.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #2100
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it was me I wouldn't even bother doing anything to it as it looks to be in decent shape. I guess if you are looking for a project you can sand and stain it, but I don't think it needs it.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post: