Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2021, 08:43 AM   #661
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But what actually happens after a municipality declares a climate emergency?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...ency-1.5217065
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 09:12 AM   #662
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
CP 100% leans left. In the informal poll gondek had like 90% of the vote yet she won with 45%. Where are the 1/3 of CP voters who voted Farkas?
They are too embarrassed to come out with it. Also why only 2% of them post in the AB Political thread.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:13 AM   #663
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am a pragmatist, but voted conservative my entire voting life. But the idea has become tainted these days. Trump and Republicans, the Scheer conservatives being influenced by them, then the cherry on top Kenny UCP and the pandemic response. The O'Toole conservatives were palatable, but they suffered from being associated with the UCP, Scheer and, well, conservatism.

I'll go out on a limb and say many former conservatives in Canada are now centrist, and conservatives who have stayed conservatives view that as leftist.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 09:38 AM   #664
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
This is why you’re not allowed to post like the rest of us! Now, it’s 8:30 AM and your late for coffee and a newspaper at the A&W in Northland Mall. Hurry along now!
One day you’ll be joining us at Cottonhead Court.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 09:41 AM   #665
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I am a pragmatist, but voted conservative my entire voting life. But the idea has become tainted these days. Trump and Republicans, the Scheer conservatives being influenced by them, then the cherry on top Kenny UCP and the pandemic response. The O'Toole conservatives were palatable, but they suffered from being associated with the UCP, Scheer and, well, conservatism.

I'll go out on a limb and say many former conservatives in Canada are now centrist, and conservatives who have stayed conservatives view that as leftist.
They really need an all-star like Nenshi to lead the charge. He can 100% defeat Blackface Mr. Dressup Surfer dude!
Old 10-20-2021, 09:48 AM   #666
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say Alberta's provincial NDP party is now more closer positioned to where Lougheed conservatives were back in the day, and parties like the UCP are now further right than ever. I'm not sure this journey further right for conservatism is going to be a good thing for them in the long run, especially with the socio-economic and environmental challenges currently facing humanity over the next several decades. "Progressive" is now the word for the centre; the conservatives don't own it anymore.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 09:51 AM   #667
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
They really need an all-star like Nenshi to lead the charge. He can 100% defeat Blackface Mr. Dressup Surfer dude!
Nenshi wouldn't run for the CPC leadership -- and just as importantly, he wouldn't win anyway; the conservative base hates "Spendshi". If he ever chooses to run for federal office, it will most likely be for the Liberal Party.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:56 AM   #668
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Nenshi wouldn't run for the CPC leadership -- and just as importantly, he wouldn't win anyway; the conservative base hates "Spendshi". If he ever chooses to run for federal office, it will most likely be for the Liberal Party.
Well that "conservative base" can eff off and make their own Wildrose Reform Party.

He legit wins every riding in the GTA against Trudeau and Singh.

His major problem will be in Quebec.
GGG
Old 10-20-2021, 09:59 AM   #669
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Nenshi at the helm of the federal conservative party would make me consider voting for them. His progressiveness would actually allow that party to compete on a contemporary platform that might actually be digestible. He also wouldn't allow this continuous winking to the alt-right that the CPC has loved to do in recent years.

Personally I hope he runs for Premier.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #670
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just dropping in to say I’m pretty pleased with RockyView finally turfing most of the clique that was running things for so many years.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:01 AM   #671
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Nenshi at the helm of the federal conservative party would make me consider voting for them. His progressiveness would actually allow that party to compete on a contemporary platform that might actually be digestible. He also wouldn't allow this continuous winking to the alt-right that the CPC has loved to do in recent years.

Personally I hope he runs for Premier.
gosh darn it.. i guess it is wishful thinking. Nenshi as Premier would be more impactful and better for us in Alberta.

but but but.. why would he do part of his pressers in French the past few years??! Oh Nenshi you are such a tease! lol
Old 10-20-2021, 10:31 AM   #672
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
gosh darn it.. i guess it is wishful thinking. Nenshi as Premier would be more impactful and better for us in Alberta.
We need competent leadership that can ask hard questions and respect both the urban and rural scenarios that exist, even with the large population divisions between them. Additionally, I think Nenshi is a much better consensus builder than the Farkas or the Nickels of the world, who have proven very little of that at the municipal level.

One thing is for sure - the next Premier can't be a dictatorial ideologue. We've had enough of that since 2019 and it's become quickly insufferable and damaging to our province.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:49 AM   #673
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well the world has moved toward ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) Investing. The money is there, no question.
I feel like ESG has become such a buzzword, that's it's lost all material meaning. Everyone now just uses it as part of their marketing material to make themselves look good.

It's funny though when you look at supposed ESG-focused Index funds (such as https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/quote/ESG/holdings?p=ESG), they are basically just made up of large-cap tech companies like Facebook and Amazon. Yes a company selling mostly disposable junk, treating workers like slave-like cogs, and putting everyone else out of business, is the epitome of responsible business.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 11:02 AM   #674
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I feel like ESG has become such a buzzword, that's it's lost all material meaning. Everyone now just uses it as part of their marketing material to make themselves look good.

It's funny though when you look at supposed ESG-focused Index funds (such as https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/quote/ESG/holdings?p=ESG), they are basically just made up of large-cap tech companies like Facebook and Amazon. Yes a company selling mostly disposable junk, treating workers like slave-like cogs, and putting everyone else out of business, is the epitome of responsible business.
I don't think that this is the thread for this, but you're not wrong. There are some solid ESG mandates out there, and some PMs doing good work in that area. There is also a lot of green-washing though, and standardization is rather difficult. One of the complicating factors is that there are varying approaches to these issues. For example, if you want to focus on the environmental angle, are you investing in the terrible company that will make strides to improve, or the company that is already doing all the environmental things? That's a super high-level example, but it obviously is going to make your mandate entirely different.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 11:06 AM   #675
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree, it's a complicated and somewhat convoluted subject. But yeah, a discussion probably more appropriate for another thread.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:13 AM   #676
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to take this election as another data point in my theory that Alberta conservatives are the best political party in terms of politics in North America. When there are no parties on the ballot you are all left wing ninnies like the rest of us in Canadian cities.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 11:19 AM   #677
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I'd love to see an ESG thread. I don't know enough to start one, but would love to learn more about it if one of you guys kicks it off.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:35 AM   #678
CPK80
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have just been going over all the councilor elects to see what they are like.

I wonder how effective Dan McLean will be as a councilor.. Did anyone get a chance to talk to him during the campaign..

He seem like we was part of that take back city hall group.

I also got a bit of a chuckle on his website.

Under fiscal responsibility
- Wasteful and untimely Olympic bid

Under about
- My crowning achievement was winning the bid to supply over 250 golf and utility vehicles for the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.
CPK80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CPK80 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 11:41 AM   #679
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure which one yet, but I foresee McLean being either the Joey Mags or the Farkas of this next city council.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:31 PM   #680
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPK80 View Post
I have just been going over all the councilor elects to see what they are like.

I wonder how effective Dan McLean will be as a councilor.. Did anyone get a chance to talk to him during the campaign..

He seem like we was part of that take back city hall group.

I also got a bit of a chuckle on his website.

Under fiscal responsibility
- Wasteful and untimely Olympic bid

Under about
- My crowning achievement was winning the bid to supply over 250 golf and utility vehicles for the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.
He’s a full on Farkian. I’m betting on him for worst councillor.

I have zero hope he becomes a Demong type who is an effective right of Center representative for his ward.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote