Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-12-2019, 06:16 PM   #301
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca View Post

I mean... Carolina scored a whopping 6 goals in a 4-0 series sweep.

the entire team sucked.

One thing you will notice about Ferland is how nice of a shot he has. He can really fire it. He may not be able to drive the offence on his line, but IMO, he has the ability to create some synergy on a line as he is very smart, underrated as a passer, fantastic along the boards, and has the wheels to get somewhere for a quick one timer that surprises people. He can score from distance too.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 12:38 AM   #302
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I mean... Carolina scored a whopping 6 goals in a 4-0 series sweep.

the entire team sucked.
I know you are his biggest fan now that he has joined the Canucks...I was responding to all the "Ferland is great in the playoffs" nonsense.

Maybe in 2015 (I'm sure you remember)

Guy is like 0-12 in his last two trips to the playoffs...he made a couple big hits and was injured for 3 weeks. Came back and did F all.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #303
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My take on this is that it shows how big of a win the Ferland trade was for the Flames. They would have lost him for nothing, so it’s really Hamilton for two emerging stars. Just how bad would the Flames look now without Lindholm?

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 07-14-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #304
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
true... Ok, I think they'll be fighting for a playoff WC spot till the end. Divisional playoff contention seems far fetched.
I was listening to the radio here in Vancouver this past week, and a TSN analyst (I don’t remember which one) was asked which of last year’s playoff teams was a good target to miss this year if the Canucks are going to make a push to get in. While he was far from convinced that the Canucks could get in this year, he singled out the Dallas Stars and Winnipeg Jets as teams that appeared in danger of taking a step back.

It’s an interesting discussion. I still don’t think Vancouver is good enough to make the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #305
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Jets made it easily last year in spite of an awful season from their best goal scorer. I guess he must have a really high opinion of Trouba. Or he's predicting some Laine / Connor RFA drama.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:39 AM   #306
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dallas for me has been the poster boy for being a team that is constantly up and down from one season to the next. They are either a surprise or a disappointment. I could see them out, but they did improve this off-season.

Canucks can get in - any team can catch lightning in a bottle. However, I would argue that they caught lightning in a bottle last season and performed much better than anticipated - until someone broke the bottle and the lightning escaped.

I don't think they improved enough to make the playoffs, but they will be pushing for it and making it close. They are much closer to making the playoffs than finishing last overall in the conference. I just don't think they moved the needle far enough in the offseason. They are missing some better D right now - Myers and Benn help, but they aren't guys that can reliably do enough. They are both depth defencemen (what in the world happened to Myers? What a promising career he started off with).

With that being said, they are no Edmonton. That's one thing we can all agree on. They are a much better team than Edmonton is. Take out the two best players from each team, and suddenly it looks like an NHL team playing against an AHL team. Funny how everybody in the division not only caught, but surpassed those guys who were "building something special" that the rest of the division were fearful of.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #307
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

This Ferland contract is okay. I think it could be a year too long but at this dollar figure I think you can live with it. No doubt I like Ferland for 4 years at his age over James Neal.

But Ferland does carry a lot of injury risk for a player his age. No doubt his camp misread the market at midseason as I suspect Carolina would have done 5 per year for 5 years.

As for Vlassic...he never was a huge offensive producer and the signs show decline. He may bounce back for a year, but at this point that will be the exception. I think any team with 3 defenceman making 8 million a year is going to find themselves in a serious cap bind.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 07-14-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:20 PM   #308
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post

But Ferland does carry a lot of injury risk for a player his age. No doubt his camp misread the market at midseason as I suspect Carolina would have done 5 per year for 5 years.

Apparently he just didn't want to play there. I do think he expected to make more though.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:35 PM   #309
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Apparently he just didn't want to play there. I do think he expected to make more though.
Vancouver vs Raleigh is a pretty easy decision.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:30 PM   #310
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I was listening to the radio here in Vancouver this past week, and a TSN analyst (I don’t remember which one) was asked which of last year’s playoff teams was a good target to miss this year if the Canucks are going to make a push to get in. While he was far from convinced that the Canucks could get in this year, he singled out the Dallas Stars and Winnipeg Jets as teams that appeared in danger of taking a step back.

It’s an interesting discussion. I still don’t think Vancouver is good enough to make the playoffs.

I think the jets are going to have a downward trajectory, but I really loved what the stars did this offseason, don't see them missing.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #311
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
I am going to be really curious about Phil Kessel, his acquisition has the markings of a disaster. Him and the GM could go out for drinks and it would be hard to tell which one is the player.
I'm only posting in this thread to say that although it's been too long a read to respond to most of the discussion, the bolded made me laugh out loud. That was excellent.

Last edited by jayswin; 07-14-2019 at 08:08 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #312
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not that I'm really hurt that we didn't sign him, or even really care that Vancouver did, but I expect Ferland will be motivated to bring his A-game against the Flames. His short, inconsistent bouts of A-game can be painful for the opposition and I expect our boys will feel it this year.

Term is long, but I expect that won't be too terrible a signing for the 'Nucks.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #313
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
Not that I'm really hurt that we didn't sign him, or even really care that Vancouver did, but I expect Ferland will be motivated to bring his A-game against the Flames. His short, inconsistent bouts of A-game can be painful for the opposition and I expect our boys will feel it this year.

Term is long, but I expect that won't be too terrible a signing for the 'Nucks.

In two games vs the Flames this last year Ferland recorded two assists—both in one game. The Flames won both games last year, and I don’t recall that Ferland was especially impactful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:41 PM   #314
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
In two games vs the Flames this last year Ferland recorded two assists—both in one game. The Flames won both games last year, and I don’t recall that Ferland was especially impactful.

divisional rival games
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:47 PM   #315
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
divisional rival games
So he was mailing it in last year?
Old 07-15-2019, 07:51 AM   #316
thewoodman
Draft Pick

If this signing wasn't kind of a big deal this thread would have died at page 1. Popcorn, popping.
thewoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #317
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who will be the first Flame to fight Ferland?

I'm guessing Hamonic
Old 07-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #318
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewoodman View Post
If this signing wasn't kind of a big deal this thread would have died at page 1. Popcorn, popping.
Have you seen other threads? Fans are looking for anything right now to talk about. At least there's no thrusting talk in this one.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:10 AM   #319
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Who will be the first Flame to fight Ferland?

I'm guessing Hamonic
I hope no one

Ferland pretty much never loses
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #320
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Re: Ferland against the Flames last year. I think he only played the one game (more or less), as if I'm not mistaken he threw a hit in the game in Calgary, hurt himself and didn't come back. Pretty sure it was early in the 1st
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post: