Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #881
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Dube
Tkachuk - Monahan - Bennett
Mangiapane - Backlund - Czarnik
Lucic - Ryan - Jankowski
Quine

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Stone
Kylington

Rittich
Talbot

Im kind of alright starting the season like that, with Brodie and Frolik sold for whatever.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:35 PM   #882
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Gaudreau - Lindholm - Dube
Tkachuk - Monahan - Bennett
Mangiapane - Backlund - Czarnik
Lucic - Ryan - Jankowski
Quine

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Stone
Kylington

Rittich
Talbot

Im kind of alright starting the season like that, with Brodie and Frolik sold for whatever.
Really? Because that RW depth chart is laughably bad. One way or another the Flames need to add a legit top 6 player.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:41 PM   #883
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one is taking Lindholm off the top line unless its from an outside team. Especially now with one less RW. Not a single player has earned the right to supplant Lindholm on the top line. and even if your arguement is to break it up to find greater scoring balance, you're not guaranteeing anything when it comes to other players find even a fraction of chemistry.

One saving grace is Backlund/Lindholm working together with Tkachuk as Backs and Lindholm were quite useful together on the PK.

Anywho, we need an offense upgrade on Frolik. Hopefully Trelving can do that. Get this poop Neal/Lucic trade out of his system and hit a home run with the rest of his honey do list.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #884
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Detroit could be a trade partner for Brodie but nothing they’d be willing to part with screams top 6 RW.

I’d be interested in Brodie++ for Gallagher from Montreal who would be a mega pain in the ass playing alongside Tkachuk but Montreal needs a LD more than a RD.

Anaheim has brutal RD depth atm, something around Brodie/Silverberg swap? A bigger deal for Rakell??

It will be interesting to see who Treliving targets now that he has his physical deterrent in Lucic on the team and slotted correctly in the lineup to boot.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:17 PM   #885
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
When was the last time a player turned around their career in Edmonton? I have extreme doubts that Neal will magically turn it around in the suckhole. Much better chance that Lucic shakes off a little bit of suck getting out of there. Add the fact that he will actually punch someone (unlike neal) and it could be a net benefit.

Alex Chiasson...
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:59 PM   #886
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:
Icon35

Quote:
Originally Posted by camm13 View Post
Alex Chiasson...
Maroon before?
stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #887
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So now what?

Still Frolik for picks to clear cap and Brodie for a top 6 forward?

I'm shocked Frolik hasn't been traded yet.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:00 AM   #888
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
So now what?

I think that's the plan. Market is still frozen though. The RFA's are holding things up.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #889
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So now what?

These are the moves that need to happen. Get a winger for one of the top 2 lines and get rid of Frolik without taking NHL salary back.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #890
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
So now what?

Im wondering if they havent changed their mind on that now as the natural RW depth on this club is abysmal at best after yesterdays transaction.

Also, and somewhat related, this team is DESPERATELY short on RH shots..though neither Frolik nor Neal made a difference there.

Ryan, Czarnik, and Lindholm is it I believe.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:36 AM   #891
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

all that needs to be done now is to move hamonic/stone and the cap issues should be fine.

would be nice to add another potential 2/3 rw option if one could fit, hamonic for roslovic would be perfect

i think jagr is still an FA!
Old 07-20-2019, 11:40 AM   #892
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Im wondering if they havent changed their mind on that now as the natural RW depth on this club is abysmal at best after yesterdays transaction.

Also, and somewhat related, this team is DESPERATELY short on RH shots..though neither Frolik nor Neal made a difference there.

Ryan, Czarnik, and Lindholm is it I believe.
I highly doubt they have reconsidered and I don’t understand why the trade yesterday changed that opinion? Did you think Neal was going to bounce back and all of a sudden look better than Lindholm on the top line or not look like absolute crap with Backlund and Tkachuk?

Frolik to the Devils for a late pick makes sense for both teams. Gives the Flames $14M in cap space. Still not enough to get all 4 RFA’s signed imo so I think a Stone buyout is coming which pushes the cap space closer to 16.5M. (8.5M for Tkachuk, 2.75M for Bennett, 3.25M for Rittich, $850k for Mangipane. Trade Brodie for a ~$5M winger.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #893
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I think that's the plan. Market is still frozen though. The RFA's are holding things up.
I think things will open up after arbitration cases are settled

Quite a few teams that can use the buyout window to create cap space

Stone for us for sure. Can see Montreal Buffalo NYR winnipeg and maybe Nashville buying players out and picking up players from capped out teams. Montreal (alzner) and buffalo (sobotka) could do some damage with additional cap space.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:57 AM   #894
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Given the lower than expected Salary cap, Frolik’s 4+ million cap hit might be a bit of a liability. I don’t think it’ll be that easy to move to be honest.

Not sure I want to move him, do we have a replacement?
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanadaMatt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 12:01 PM   #895
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
Given the lower than expected Salary cap, Frolik’s 4+ million cap hit might be a bit of a liability. I don’t think it’ll be that easy to move to be honest.

The Devils have $18M in cap space and are trying to win now. They have 2 massive extensions to work out with Hall and Hischer next summer so they would probably welcome a 1 year term right now. Trading Frolik for cap space and buying out Stone frees up the space to keep our RFA’s.

Brodie or Hamonic can be used in a deal for a Frolik replacement.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 12:42 PM   #896
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post

Agreed. We want to move Frolik but there are other teams to move cap as well. Are there more attractive cap dumps than Frolik out there? Probably. Time to do this was before the draft but now we are stuck. May be able to retain or take a lesser salary back but return at this point will be less than ideal.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:47 PM   #897
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think a team that feels they missed out on a Dman (like Detroit and Anaheim) might be willing to throw a 6th or a 7th at Stone; even if we had to eat some salary I think we should be able to avoid a buyout on him.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:47 PM   #898
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
The Devils have $18M in cap space and are trying to win now. They have 2 massive extensions to work out with Hall and Hischer next summer so they would probably welcome a 1 year term right now. Trading Frolik for cap space and buying out Stone frees up the space to keep our RFA’s.

At this point teams are probably asking for our younger and cheaper d. What kind of value can we get for Brodie at this point when cap dollars are tight? LA isn’t probably interested in Brodie for Toffoli at this point as Brodie will be past his prime by the time they will be competitive.

Hard to see a fit out there at this point. Treliving is going to earn his dough this summer to make the team better and be cap compliant.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #899
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

Why not just sign a guy and not give up any assets?

Lots of good players out there still. Lots of teams with worse toxic assets willing to give you much better assets in return if you take their cap headaches.

Frilik for a 6th or gusev and Clarkson for a 4th? What's a better way to allocate 5 million bucks if you're the devils.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #900
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I still think a team that feels they missed out on a Dman (like Detroit and Anaheim) might be willing to throw a 6th or a 7th at Stone; even if we had to eat some salary I think we should be able to avoid a buyout on him.

I doubt it. There are cheaper 7th dman available on the market. I think Stone is insurance if Brodie is traded. Will be a bunch of young d and having Stone as a 7th dman makes a bit of sense. If Brodie is not traded then Stone will be bought out.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post: