Old 08-29-2018, 07:49 PM   #81
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
What the actual ####.

https://ew.com/movies/2018/08/29/ale...ker-movie/amp/

Not sure what the deal is here. Did he only just realize it was because of his Trump SNL role that they wanted him? And if so, what the #### DC? Why in God’s name would you ruin a character like that?
Is turning Thomas Wayne into an unlikable ####### really a thing that they need to do? Why are they intent on making bad movies?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:43 PM   #82
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ahhh I can't decide if I am more triggered by DC mucking up Thomas Wayne or Nadal Fan calling Wonder Woman a masterpiece.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:22 PM   #83
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think now DC is just trying to make movies worse and worse to see how low the bar really is for DC fanboys lol. There is so much potential and they still find ways to screw it up. They should stick to making cartoons, maybe a DC animated universe ...I think that would actually do a lot better.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:24 PM   #84
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Joker movie is an else worlds story. Do you also hate Flashpoint because Wonder Woman and Aquaman kill millions? Or Superman Red Son because Superman is a Soviet citizen?
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:25 PM   #85
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Hopefully the Spider-man animated film does well and executives at DC try to emulate that. A DC Animated Film Universe would be amazing. Try to be the Pixar of superhero animated films.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:31 PM   #86
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Calling it elseworlds is a joke. Elseworlds doesn’t mean you keep everything the same but ruin one supporting character. It just means it isn’t part of the main DC movie universe because they know it is already an abject failure and want to start fresh...again.

Elseworlds are supposed to be “what if...?” stories. Unless they were gonna play this where Batman was a villain because of his POS father and Joker was some gritty antihero, I don’t buy it. Sounds like DC just throwing #### at the board and hoping something sticks as they get more and more desperate because they keep ruining potential billion dollar franchises.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:54 AM   #87
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Ahhh I can't decide if I am more triggered by DC mucking up Thomas Wayne or Nadal Fan calling Wonder Woman a masterpiece.
Nadal Fan isn't alone. Although I don't agree with it, Wonder Woman received better reviews that Infinity War.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:08 AM   #88
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Nadal Fan isn't alone. Although I don't agree with it, Wonder Woman received better reviews that Infinity War.

I don't agree with Wonder Woman being a better movie then Infinity Wars, but I did think that Wonder Woman was a strong movie where the DC Universe was done right for a change.

But I think that the movie did look better then it did because Gadot and Pine were really good in their roles.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #89
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't agree with Wonder Woman being a better movie then Infinity Wars, but I did think that Wonder Woman was a strong movie where the DC Universe was done right for a change.

But I think that the movie did look better then it did because Gadot and Pine were really good in their roles.
I don't agree with it either. What made Infinity War good for me was that Disney pushed outside their typical safe barriers they've established in the MCU. The tone of the film was darker, it relied less on cheesy humour and drawn out CGI pieces. It was more of a character study of Thanos. I also have a lot of familiarity with the characters and story, which allowed me to fill in gaps. The story was based on a lot of "moments" as well. That being said Disney is still very stuck within their own boundaries.

A lot of these same aspects, that made the movie good for me, also turned a lot of people away. The movie was more focused at people in my demographic than previous MCU installments.

Wonder Woman on the other hand was a safer and easier story to tell. It definitely appealed more to the mainstream audience and critics.

That being said, calling either a "masterpiece" is really a matter of your own opinion, and isn't supported by the critics or audience as a whole. Particularly when comparing it to comic book movies like the Dark Knight or Logan, that are widely and critically considered good movies, not just when compared against other comic book movies.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:31 AM   #90
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I don't agree with it either. What made Infinity War good for me was that Disney pushed outside their typical safe barriers they've established in the MCU. The tone of the film was darker, it relied less on cheesy humour and drawn out CGI pieces. It was more of a character study of Thanos. I also have a lot of familiarity with the characters and story, which allowed me to fill in gaps. The story was based on a lot of "moments" as well. That being said Disney is still very stuck within their own boundaries.

A lot of these same aspects, that made the movie good for me, also turned a lot of people away. The movie was more focused at people in my demographic than previous MCU installments.

Wonder Woman on the other hand was a safer and easier story to tell. It definitely appealed more to the mainstream audience and critics.

That being said, calling either a "masterpiece" is really a matter of your own opinion, and isn't supported by the critics or audience as a whole. Particularly when comparing it to comic book movies like the Dark Knight or Logan, that are widely and critically considered good movies, not just when compared against other comic book movies.

As much as I liked Civil War, during the fight between Avengers, they made it feel like it was two friends play fighting in a sandbox, but there was never any real chance of a shattered relationship like they had in the comics.

That's why I loved the tone of Infinity War, the threat of Thanos and the coming war was deadly as a heart attack and you could approach it with the sense of dread. Civil War played it way too safe.

I like Wonder Woman quite a bit, again because of the characters, the problem was that the Villain just felt weak even though he was a god, like literally one of the old gods and should have been on a threat level beyond Thanos.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #91
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other problem with WW is that the actual hero was Pine, not Gadot. Which kind of blew me away watching it, after hearing how it was such a great representation of women's empowerment.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:42 AM   #92
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Triggered by rumours and heresay before even seeing a trailer, usually it is the trailer that triggers before seeing the movie!

Maybe they are telling this from the Jokers view point and people will be portrayed the way he interprets them?

Finally saw Deadpool 2, not as good as the first one, but I enjoyed it. The DC beaks were great and on point, but the best part of the movie was the 'cleaning up the time lines' and whatnot during the credits. That had me laughing.

So many holes, but you take it for what it is.. and Reynolds was great again. They definitely took it a direction I wasn't expecting at all.. but then un did it all so it took away a lot of the effect :/

Once you start introducing time travel it's hard not to just go to the easiest solution right away and wonder why they haven't done that. But I would give it a solid 6.5/10.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #93
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

This made me chuckle:

Old 08-30-2018, 11:57 AM   #94
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I the only one that had no idea who the hell Brie Larson was until this Captain Marvel thing came around? People seemed so excited that she was Captain Marvel and I was totally lost.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2018, 11:58 AM   #95
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
What the actual ####.

https://ew.com/movies/2018/08/29/ale...ker-movie/amp/

Not sure what the deal is here. Did he only just realize it was because of his Trump SNL role that they wanted him? And if so, what the #### DC? Why in God’s name would you ruin a character like that?
Yeah, thats a good question.

"Why?"

Thomas Wayne is not rocket science, hes a marginal and peripheral character at best and his only real contribution is from being a good, upstanding citizen and philanthropist which lends itself to Batman's motivation.

Just ruining him doesnt make any sense, but alas: DC.

I do wonder at times if their creative team is literally a thousand monkeys with typewriters. Perhaps even 'A Clockwork Orange'd' to Fox News.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #96
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They were probably brainstorming, and someone said, hey, who is popular in the news right now? Trump! We should make him like Trump, then our movie will be popular too.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2018, 12:47 PM   #97
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Am I the only one that had no idea who the hell Brie Larson was until this Captain Marvel thing came around? People seemed so excited that she was Captain Marvel and I was totally lost.
I knew her from 21 Jump Street.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:53 PM   #98
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I knew her from 21 Jump Street.
Dating yourself a little bit there.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:55 PM   #99
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
He's referring to the movie remake with Jonah Hill, which by the way is hilarious. Larson is only 28.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #100
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well I mean the movie is 6 years old, so I guess so?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote