Well this is not good. Now what?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1064684110050934784
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 06:50 PM   #42
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

He'd be AHL bound if he was a CHL player anyways next year. I suppose that will have to do instead of the NCAA.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:54 PM   #43
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Plenty of other leagues a young player can develop in. The AHL could be an option next year unless they don’t think he’ll get enough ice time. Overager in the CHL and a Euro import might not be ideal but could be okay for one season if they can find a team who’s willing to spend both slots on him. Europe is another option.

Wonder what the issue was with his college eligibility
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #44
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can Martin Pospisil go to the AHL early like Oliver Kylington did?
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:23 PM   #45
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Any player who isn’t playing in the CHL can go to the AHL before their 20 year old season. It’s an agreement between Major Junior in Canada and the AHL that prevents players under 20 belonging to CHL from going there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 07:44 PM   #46
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Yes, but if he goes to the AHL next season, it wouldn't be early anyway. Even if he was drafted out of the CHL (which is the only league - or group of leagues - that have the AHL age restriction), he'd be able to play in the AHL next season because he'll turn 20 next November (in fact, today's his birthday).
Old 11-19-2018, 11:13 PM   #47
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

pospisil had 4 points (2g 2a) in one game over the weekend and now he leads the ushl with 30 points in 16 games. really excited to see him during the wjc.

i think going to the ahl over the ncaa is probably a blessing for the flames. acclimate him to the pro game, and more team control over the player's development - just look how well kylington has been groomed.

and playing time shouldn't be a problem given the lack of prospect centre depth
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jore For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 12:09 AM   #48
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn, did not realize how nice Pospisil's stat line was looking. Definitely an interesting follow. Will be interested to see some actual game footage of him (don't know if there's much)

Not worried at all about him not going to the NCAA, probably better for the Flames anyways. Can help him decide his next path and can have a stronger say in his development. I wouldn't be surprised if this was his decision for him to focus solely on hockey. He'll be 20 by next season so the AHL is not an unrealistic option or Europe considering he's European. Look forward to watching him at the WJC.

Edit: and by next year I literally mean a year from now, it's his birthday today lol.

Last edited by Beninho; 11-20-2018 at 12:18 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 12:51 AM   #49
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just noticed Pospisil had 253 PIM last season in 49 games which is over 5 PIM per game.. Can anyone explain this? 6"2 and 173 lb doesn't sound exactly like a goon by any stretch lol

He's still on pace for 117 PIM this year which is still quite a lot.. definitely strange for someone putting up 2 PPG.
jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:13 AM   #50
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
I just noticed Pospisil had 253 PIM last season in 49 games which is over 5 PIM per game.. Can anyone explain this? 6"2 and 173 lb doesn't sound exactly like a goon by any stretch lol

He's still on pace for 117 PIM this year which is still quite a lot.. definitely strange for someone putting up 2 PPG.
It is quite easy to get PIMs in the USHL. A fight gets an automatic 5 + 10 mins.

He was quite reckless and dangerous for opposing players last season. He got 10 min misconducts 12 times last season. 3 of them were for fights. A couple for head shots. One for removing his helmet. A few for excessive roughing. Once for abuse of official. In 2 games he got 2 10 min misconducts in the same game.

So far this season he has only gotten more than 4 PIMs in a game once where he received 5 + 10 for contact to the head. He is much more disciplined this season.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #51
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Emilio Pettersen article on the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/666501/2018/...lio-pettersen/

Quote:
DU assistant Tavis MacMillan takes it a step further.

“We have to blow drills down constantly to get him to stop,” MacMillan said. “Because he’s so conditioned to keep going and keep going and keep going.”

All of this goes back to being from Norway.

“The culture was definitely different. We worked out in different ways,” Pettersen said. “We were more like a cross-country runner basically. Every one of us in my town, we’re built to run. We weren’t like big guys or anything. We always worked on our stamina and the willingness to work hard. That’s the culture I grew up in and I think is a big part of what Norway has.”
Quote:
Carle said Pettersen is already one of the most competitive players on the roster. He continued by saying Pettersen is always doing extra work before and after practice so he can improve parts of his game.

The biggest area where Carle said Pettersen can improve is his defense. Carle said Pettersen is learning how to play better without the puck and other facets that come with being better in the defensive zone like starting, stopping and communicating with teammates.

“We’ve seen improvements in his ability to recognize things off the rush,” Carle said. “His D-zone play has gotten better but it’s still not where he wants it to be and where we need it to be as a program.”

Carle described Pettersen as “a hockey junkie,” but there is more to him than what he does on the ice.

Kind of a shame Norway didn't qualify for the WJCs, would have been interesting to see what he could have done on that stage.

Last edited by sureLoss; 11-21-2018 at 01:24 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2018, 10:02 AM   #52
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

OT but for those who were lamenting the Flames missing out on Wahlstrom because of the Hamonic trade, he has not met his high draft pick expectations so far in the NCAA. 2 goals 0 assists in 9 games.

The USHL tweeted today that the USHL's Tri City Storm added him, suggesting that the team thinks there is a chance he will leave BC.

Still lots of time for him, and not suggesting he is a bust or anything after 9 games, but thought it was interesting.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #53
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I was more hyped on Noah Dobson than Wahlstrom.

However I have never regretted the Hamonic deal as much as some did. That’s market value for a guy like him and we needed a physical shut down dman who can play top 4. Flames were asset rich and could afford to deal some picks or prospects and still have a pretty good cupboard. It was never the disaster trade that some tried to make it out to be.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:00 PM   #54
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I caught some of a Denver University vs Minnesota Duluth a little while ago and Pettersen was the most dynamic player on the ice. He looks like a great skater who goes full tilt and has slick hands too.

Kudos to the Flames scouts for finding some interesting players in a draft where they were short on picks, particularly high picks.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:49 PM   #55
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I was more hyped on Noah Dobson than Wahlstrom.

However I have never regretted the Hamonic deal as much as some did. That’s market value for a guy like him and we needed a physical shut down dman who can play top 4. Flames were asset rich and could afford to deal some picks or prospects and still have a pretty good cupboard. It was never the disaster trade that some tried to make it out to be.
I was more annoyed with the prospect of the flames missing the playoffs and hitting the lottery, while unlikely, it just worried me. Hamonic has shown his true worth this year and I’m currently satisfied with the trade and would do it again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2018, 02:12 AM   #56
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

No rest for the NCAA prospects as they were all back in action the night after Thanksgiving.
  • Mitch Mattson finally got back into the lineup for MSU, but it didn't help as they dropped a 7-2 decision to Minnesota. Mattson is still looking for his first college point.

• Koumontzis picked up an assist, but ASU lost to Nebraska-Omaha, 6-4.

• No points for Pettersen, but Denver did defeat Janko & Gillies' old team, Providence, 3-1 on Friday.

All three teams are back in action against the same opponents on Saturday.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:01 PM   #57
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saturday night in the NCAA...
  • Mattson was back to being scratched after finally getting into the lineup on Friday. MSU snapped their 6 game losing streak with a 4-2 win over Minnesota.

• ASU was shutout 4-0 by Nebraska-Omaha. Needless to say, Koumontzis had no points.

• Pettersen scored his 5th goal of the season (4th PP goal) as Denver and Providence skated to a 4-4 tie.

In other NCAA action, Adam Fox had another 2 point game, continuing his season-long point streak. In fact, the last time Harvard played a game in which Fox didn't get at least one point was March 9.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:21 PM   #58
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Saturday night in the NCAA...
  • Mattson was back to being scratched after finally getting into the lineup on Friday. MSU snapped their 6 game losing streak with a 4-2 win over Minnesota.

• ASU was shutout 4-0 by Nebraska-Omaha. Needless to say, Koumontzis had no points.

• Pettersen scored his 5th goal of the season (4th PP goal) as Denver and Providence skated to a 4-4 tie.

In other NCAA action, Adam Fox had another 2 point game, continuing his season-long point streak. In fact, the last time Harvard played a game in which Fox didn't get at least one point was March 9.

A 4-4 tie? Am I missing something ?
Old 11-24-2018, 11:34 PM   #59
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
A 4-4 tie? Am I missing something ?
Some of the NCAA Conferences have introduced shootouts, but most still have ties after five minutes of OT. All non-conference games end in ties after a scoreless OT.

Denver vs Providence was a non-conference game.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:29 AM   #60
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

From an HF poster who goes to University of Denver games:

“I selfishly hope he stays for at least another year so I can keep watching him. Some of the passing lanes he finds are ridiculous. His shot is definitely coming along nicely, too. Like you said, he’s coming along almost as quickly as Borgstrom, which is just crazy.”

Another HF poster:

“Yeah I was at both Western Michigan Games
He is picking up NCAA game almost as quick as Henrik Borgstrom did.

I remember when he committed I started following him way more closely and I was quite surprised at how quick he is adjusting.”

What a great late round pick this was, gonna be a fun follow to track the next few seasons.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post: