Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #41
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
He tailed off a bit so that will hurt him ... I think he was getting close to .43 PPG in February before he joined the rest of the forwards with a weak finish.

At .38 though he's nowhere near replacement level.

Salaries are going up, but I'd think you get him done at 2x2.75
Do you really think he deserves almost a $1M raise?

Give him a little bump in pay, say $4.5M to $5 on a 2 year deal.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #42
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Selling Frolik would leave a hole for sure, and you’re kind of banking on hope that Neal turns things around in that case. I think it’s a mistake to trade Brodie for futures however, as the return for players with no salary coming back is never what you would hope for.
While true, it seems to me like cap issues will force us to sell low.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:23 PM   #43
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Do you really think he deserves almost a $1M raise?

Give him a little bump in pay, say $4.5M to $5 on a 2 year deal.
I've never seen contract negotiations in terms of "giving him a raise".

I just look at the production and see what that level garners in terms of contract. He was heading for a $3M contract by rates, but came off a bit so I'd be happy at $2.75M
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #44
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring of Fire View Post
Filing for arbitration and getting a deal done prior to is very different than actually making it to the arbitration hearing. The hearing is where the relationship can get fractured.
This. They have to file no matter how negotiations are going, since there are deadlines.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #45
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Rittich filed for arbitration last year, and Treliving did not abruptly move him as a result. For all your restraint, I think you are reading too much into this.
Fair enough, but if there was some trepidation on management and Bill Peters part on Rittich being the long term guy going into last year, I don't think Rittich put those concerns to rest. Smith (and likely Talbot will as well) got much more patience and rope then Rittich.

If either Rittich or Bennett get to the hearing, it could get awkward. As mentioned above, Sam's sometimes seen intangibles and sometimes seen flashes of dominance don't translate well to the arbitration measurables, against some players paid a fair bit less than what he is hoping for.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2019, 03:55 PM   #46
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arbitrations have been nasty sometimes. But I think Treliving is all business and runs his arbitration arguments in a businesslike, dry fashion, that doesn't lend itself to the animosity from other ones. It's certainly possible to do a polite, respectful arb process. I've done it on all sorts of issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2019, 04:26 PM   #47
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Bennett, Rittich, Lomberg, and Valiev file for salary arbitration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
He tailed off a bit so that will hurt him ... I think he was getting close to .43 PPG in February before he joined the rest of the forwards with a weak finish.

At .38 though he's nowhere near replacement level.

Salaries are going up, but I'd think you get him done at 2x2.75

He’s not necessarily a replacement level player in terms of the total package that he brings to the table. His physicality, toughness and dog-on-a-bone mentality alone make him worth extra.

But speaking about it from a negotiations standpoint, there are a lot of league minimum comparables for Treliving to use who can net 20-30 points a season. Heck, former 20 goal scorer Brandon Pirri who put up a 30 goal pace this past season signed for $775,000 x 2 years with Vegas. That’s what makes Bennett’s contract intriguing to me.

But honestly, I would accept $2.75M. But if Bennett is looking for the 3 or 4 range. That’d be a severe overpay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #48
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think Arbitration hearings are the cause of the teams and players often separating shortly after an award. I don’t believe it’s the things that are said about the player in the hearing that cause this.

Instead they got to the arbitration hearing becuas their was a significant disagreement in the value of the player on the eyes of the player and the team. The arbitration hearing occurring is a symptom not the cuae
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #49
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Arbitrations have been nasty sometimes. But I think Treliving is all business and runs his arbitration arguments in a businesslike, dry fashion, that doesn't lend itself to the animosity from other ones. It's certainly possible to do a polite, respectful arb process. I've done it on all sorts of issues.
It’s my understanding that both sides send representatives (lawyers) into the room and are not actually present themselves. Is that not the case? I swore I heard Treliving say that specifically
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sutter_in_law For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 12:40 PM   #50
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

The player is present.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #51
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
The player is present.
Just read up on it. The team and player are entitled to be present but don’t need to be. I’m pretty sure Treliving mentioned at a season ticket holder
Event recently that they used lawyers as they felt it was the best thing for the relationship between the player and the team
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sutter_in_law For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #52
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
Just read up on it. The team and player are entitled to be present but don’t need to be. I’m pretty sure Treliving mentioned at a season ticket holder
Event recently that they used lawyers as they felt it was the best thing for the relationship between the player and the team
That sort of supports how I think he approaches things.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #53
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of the four players on the Calgary Flames electing for salary arbitration, Bennett is scheduled to be first up on July 27, followed by Rittich (July 29), Lomberg (August 1) and Valiev (Aug. 4)
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 02:21 PM   #54
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rittich sure has bad luck on arbitration dates. Last season it was on his wedding day (July 28). This year, it looks like he will have to travel on his anniversary to make it to the arbitration proceedings (July 29) under the assumption he spends his off season in Europe.

I bet he settles with whatever Treliving is offering again.

EDIT: I just read the representative posts. My bad! But still. It would suck to have your wedding anniversary knowing a huge battle for your wages was going to happen the day after.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #55
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Rittich sure has bad luck on arbitration dates. Last season it was on his wedding day (July 28). This year, it looks like he will have to travel on his anniversary to make it to the arbitration proceedings (July 29) under the assumption he spends his off season in Europe.

EDIT: I just read the representative posts. My bad! But still. It would suck to have your wedding anniversary knowing a huge battle for your wages was going to happen the day after.
Will he become....

Big Salary Dave?
Old 07-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #56
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe3 View Post
Will he become....

Big Salary Dave?
It will still be Big Save Dave, only this time Save will refer to him being financially responsible.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:39 PM   #57
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post

Yes, imagine knowing somebody was going to give you millions of dollars, you just didn't know how many. What a horrible feeling for anyone.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 02:42 PM   #58
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Yes, imagine knowing somebody was going to give you millions of dollars, you just didn't know how many. What a horrible feeling for anyone.
Well if your job pays millions then that's what it pays. It damn will makes a difference. Obviously you have a hard time dealing with other peoples success and hard work paying off.

Nobody is giving him those millions he has earned them
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #59
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Were I a NHL player I don't think I would attend my own arbitration hearing. I don't get the sense that there is any actual benefit of being in the room, and it just feels like there is too much potential for the relationship with the team to sour—even inadvertently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #60
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Well if your job pays millions then that's what it pays. It damn will makes a difference. Obviously you have a hard time dealing with other peoples success and hard work paying off.

Nobody is giving him those millions he has earned them
Are you hangry?