Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-21-2022, 06:25 PM   #1
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Crowding McDavid is key part of Flames strategy

Chris Tanev is a huge loss, and the chemistry for consistency is a bit off as a result. But while they wait for his return, they need to find a better way to defend Connor McDavid.

Keeping him crowded is one of those (many) factors.

https://calgaryhockeynow.com/calgary...m-chris-tanev/
Steve Macfarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 06:31 PM   #2
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Avoiding being down skaters, which opens up ice that disproportionately gives McDavid an advantage, isn’t necessarily ‘crowding’
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 06:35 PM   #3
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Avoid taking penalties or creating 4 on 4 situations that gives McLovin room to skate.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:38 PM   #4
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Avoid taking penalties or creating 4 on 4 situations that gives McLovin room to skate.

Unfortunately that can be more up to the stripes than even to the Flames
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 06:42 PM   #5
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe if they actually called McBaby a couple of times for holding the stick, it wouldn't be as difficult.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OldSam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 06:53 PM   #6
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

4 on 4 is almost worse than a pk because you can't ice the puck and there's 1 less skater overall getting in the way of his skating.

The refs turning the Nurse high stick into a 4 on 4 was basically a complete penalty reversal for game management's sakes.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 07:03 PM   #7
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fix is in. We are going to get shafted.

They’ve been gifted power plays and resulting wins all year long.

They lobby and wine after every whistle and during every time out and it works. It’s part of their game plan.

There is no doubt in my mind that the refs cost us game 2.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:04 PM   #8
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
Maybe if they actually called McBaby a couple of times for holding the stick, it wouldn't be as difficult.
Ha never going to happen.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 07:15 PM   #9
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
They didn't help but giving up two horrible breakaways in the third with the first being while on the powerplay cost them the game.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 07:28 PM   #10
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like Calgary has been too aggressive at times with McDavid.

sounds weird, but if you try to make a move first, he'll just go around you... almost like a shooter waiting for the goalie to make the first move... or a defender reaching in in basketball and the guard just crosses you over or spins around you.

staying out of the box and controlling the cycle game and TOI is really the best way to limit his touches... they do need to hit him when they can however... Like body blows in boxing, the hope is that the effect manifests in the 6th or 7th game.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 07:38 PM   #11
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post

sounds weird, but if you try to make a move first, he'll just go around you... almost like a shooter waiting for the goalie to make the first move... or a defender reaching in in basketball and the guard just crosses you over or spins around you.

staying out of the box and controlling the cycle game and TOI is really the best way to limit his touches... they do need to hit him when they can however... Like body blows in boxing, the hope is that the effect manifests in the 6th or 7th game.
It’s been the best way to defend McDavid. Too aggressive does not work just keep him in front of you. Flames need to back off a bit
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:45 PM   #12
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
The fix is in. We are going to get shafted.

They’ve been gifted power plays and resulting wins all year long.

They lobby and wine after every whistle and during every time out and it works. It’s part of their game plan.

Nah. Lazy excuse for a team that isn't good enough, and that's why Sutter's boys will never believe it. Fans can say what they want, but the amount of moaning about the refs is a bad look. Yes, the reffing is a bad look, too, but we can't control that and neither can the Flames.

I believe the Flames can find another gear and lock this thing down. Going on the road will be good for them as they can simplify their game, and if they play clean there us only so much the refs can actually call.

I actually feel they have good chance of winning 2 in Edmonton and closing it out in 5.

Go Flames, Go!
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 09:13 PM   #13
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Nah. Lazy excuse for a team that isn't good enough, and that's why Sutter's boys will never believe it. Fans can say what they want, but the amount of moaning about the refs is a bad look. Yes, the reffing is a bad look, too, but we can't control that and neither can the Flames.

I believe the Flames can find another gear and lock this thing down. Going on the road will be good for them as they can simplify their game, and if they play clean there us only so much the refs can actually call.

I actually feel they have good chance of winning 2 in Edmonton and closing it out in 5.

Go Flames, Go!

I agree. Also, there is nothing the Flames can do about it. The reds being a factor was as predictable as anything in sports. The team isn’t going to get the benefit of the doubt and there will be game management calls. That has to be part of the game plan going into the series.

I never thought we got calls when we had arguably the best player in the league. If we weren’t going to get calls with Iginla then we never were going to get them in this series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NegativeSpace For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 09:54 PM   #14
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post

Go Flames, Go!

Agreed with the bolded. If the Flames can't contain McDavid, they don't stand a chance against McKinnon and the Avs' vastly superior defense.

I like this route to the cup though. Dallas gave the Flames a good primer on grinding playoff hockey and succeeding against an otherworldly goalie. The Oilers are giving them a taste of playing against an all-star (i.e. in prep for McKinnon and Kucherov). If they make it to the Avs, they'll essentially be playing a "lite" version of the Lightning.

There's lots of incremental learning in each round that should serve the team well for the rest of this playoffs (if they can beat the Oilers) and for next year.
boogerz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 11:06 PM   #15
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames didn’t play well enough in the third to win after the penalty parade in the second. But re watching the game tonight, McDick holds Ras’ stick on the first goal… like McD is good enough to score on us without being a ####ing cheater. Wonder if he would rack up the points as much without the free pass from the refs?? Loser.

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kipperiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2022, 08:23 AM   #16
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

After watching these past two games I realize how good my daddy is. If he is not the mvp then some type of inquiry should be launched.

The oilers would be nothing without him
Old 05-22-2022, 09:14 AM   #17
FireItUp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Refs need to start calling McDavid for holding sticks. Anytime a player is close to McDavid he keeps on grabbing their sticks which makes it nearly impossible to defend.
If I were Sutter, I'd be talking with the Refs every time he does it, which would be at least 10 times a game.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1528043526054785025

https://twitter.com/user/status/1528128014294216704

Last edited by FireItUp; 05-22-2022 at 09:23 AM.
FireItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireItUp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2022, 01:04 PM   #18
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Yep, I agree. Just off the top of my head I can think of 2 Oiler goals that resulted because of the Flames’ over pursuit of McDavid.

1. The play in game 1 where the Flames’ defensemen skated hard towards McDavid only for him to spin right off him upon contact and find Bouchard? for a goal.

2. In game 2, Zadarov leaves his post to pursue Mcdavid who has the puck, McDavid passes it, easily gets around Zadorov, receives the puck back and basically goes in on a breakaway and undresses Markstrom to cut their deficit to 1.

There’s probably more examples out there. But basically, the Flames’ need to understand that McDavid is a special player and you don’t need to hit him every time he has the puck. Similar to Gaudreau in that they can make you look foolish if you attack them one on one.

It’s smarter to just front him, keep an arm’s length away and keep him to the outside. If there’s a situation where there’s support and/or he’s in the defensive zone, then sure, lay a hit. But for the likes of Zadorov to abandon his post just to run after him...you’re just going to end up looking foolish in the his highlight reel and he did.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 01:12 PM   #19
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Yep, I agree. Just off the top of my head I can think of 2 Oiler goals that resulted because of the Flames’ over pursuit of McDavid.

1. The play in game 1 where the Flames’ defensemen skated hard towards McDavid only for him to spin right off him upon contact and find Bouchard? for a goal.

2. In game 2, Zadarov leaves his post to pursue Mcdavid who has the puck, McDavid passes it, easily gets around Zadorov, receives the puck back and basically goes in on a breakaway and undresses Markstrom to cut their deficit to 1.

There’s probably more examples out there. But basically, the Flames’ need to understand that McDavid is a special player and you don’t need to hit him every time he has the puck. Similar to Gaudreau in that they can make you look foolish if you attack them one on one.

It’s smarter to just front him, keep an arm’s length away and keep him to the outside. If there’s a situation where there’s support and/or he’s in the defensive zone, then sure, lay a hit. But for the likes of Zadorov to abandon his post just to run after him...you’re just going to end up looking foolish in the his highlight reel and he did.
its a tough ask of course...

never liked McDavid before, but he has looked impressive from about game 5 of LA onwards.

gotta get the puck off his stick somehow as he is doing a lot facilitating and single handedly breaking down the Flames defensive structure by pulling guys to him in the zone, like gravity, and that is leaving guys wide open.

Not sure what the answer is...taking away his passing targets first and letting him try to shot himself? or being aggressive and leaving guys more open by cheating to McDavid?

His passing has been on point, so I am leaning to the former, and hoping Markstromm can make the save, and the defenders taking out their man so they can't get the easy rebound (which did happen on a few occasions)
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 02:46 PM   #20
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
its a tough ask of course...

never liked McDavid before, but he has looked impressive from about game 5 of LA onwards.

gotta get the puck off his stick somehow as he is doing a lot facilitating and single handedly breaking down the Flames defensive structure by pulling guys to him in the zone, like gravity, and that is leaving guys wide open.

Not sure what the answer is...taking away his passing targets first and letting him try to shot himself? or being aggressive and leaving guys more open by cheating to McDavid?

His passing has been on point, so I am leaning to the former, and hoping Markstromm can make the save, and the defenders taking out their man so they can't get the easy rebound (which did happen on a few occasions)
I would simply defend him as teams do against Gaudreau, front him, keep him within an arm’s length and cut off his passing options. With a guy like McDavid, his line mates almost become as dangerous as he is simply because of the double teams he draws.

But defending him in layers in the neutral zone and keeping him to outside is key. The second you make contact and he spins or gets by you and accelerates, you’re in trouble because your structure will be broken and chaos will ensue.

Patience and discipline is paramount. I know the Flames want to lay the hits on McDavid like in game 1, but the risk of him getting past you is too high. Stay above him, shadow, box him out, I’d much prefer this strategy over him burning our defense enroute to another addition to his highlight reel. If it means a more boring series like we saw vs Dallas, whatever, the W is what matters in the BoA.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post: