Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-17-2022, 01:53 PM   #121
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Crazy that they don't have a better arena. Should probably build one lol
Roof-Daddy for Mayor! We know what his platform will be. Maybe if Airdrie and Calgary build at the same time, they can get a bulk materials discount.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:21 PM   #122
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the Dome would just have some weekend double-headers:

SAT: Scorch @ 1pm, Flames @8pm
SUN: Scorch @ 12pm, Hitmen @7pm

Not a big deal if the small teams have to play a handful of games at another venue due to Saddledome availability.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:26 PM   #123
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I like Airdrie with their 70,000 population for WHL. Still close enough to Calgary to draw from there still too, as well as Olds/Sundre etc...

Crazy that they don't have a better arena. Should probably build one lol
Always thought that’s the kind of place the women’s league should target.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:19 PM   #124
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Spruce Meadows eventually wants to build a 10,000 (or something like that) soccer-specific stadium. Maybe an arena could work there as well?
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:33 PM   #125
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly if you had an AHL or WHL team theres probably a business case to put a decent arena in Balzac.

I like that idea.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:43 PM   #126
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some rough reported attendance numbers:

Roughnecks 11k (only 9 reg season games per year)

Hitmen - 7500 for the last few 'normal' years, were generally around 9000 from 2005-2013. Hitmen and Oil Kings typically outpace #3 by 1500+; about half the teams in the WHL draw <4000.

There are typically about 8 AHL teams (and a couple ECHL teams) that draw 7500-9000; 9 teams draw <4500, and the other 14 teams tend to draw 5000-6500.

So even if the Hitmen and Scorch (I'm sticking with this name no matter what) each drew ~6k, they'd both still be in the top third of their leagues; 5k and they're about median.
Old 05-20-2022, 03:22 PM   #127
BowRiverBruinsRule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

This is interesting. ``Closer to home`` is interesting and confusing. This is what I am hearing or know.
Hitmen played numerous games at 7 Chiefs in the past number of years.
The Flames organazation likes 7 Chiefs.
Many Flames and Heat players do lots of off season stuff there with Daneile Fujita as well as other players practicing. It is easy to get to being in the SW and Stoney Trail opening.
Flames announce the Heat moving closer to Calgary.
Winsport is out as they are back to IIHF International size on Arena A. This is after hosting the Women`s Worlds on NHL size. They could go back to NHL size. But Winsport is too hard to work with.
7 Chiefs may be changing their boards out on the main Arena to conform with NHL and WHL standards. It is a big project but very doable and can do quickly. Moose Jaw Warriors had to do it in Mosaic Place to meet WHL standards.
Maybe stuff happening at 7 Chiefs in regards to dressing rooms.
Hitmen or Heat or just upgrading for 7 Chiefs.

Last edited by BowRiverBruinsRule; 05-20-2022 at 03:25 PM.
BowRiverBruinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:44 PM   #128
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
The Roughnecks weren’t owned by the Flames until 2011 and the team left Saint John’s in 2003, so I doubt it was much of a consideration.

To me I think it comes down to the balance sheet.

They pay the Hitmen nothing, the Heat are paid.

Obviously the profit margin on a Hitmen game would be higher, and an additional team would cut into that profit.

The question is, would that potential loss in revenue be more or less than what than the savings of moving a team closer (travel, recalls, personnel etc.) and enhanced revue compared to a distant market.

Compared to running a separate show elsewhere, I would think the ability to use the in-house CSEC marketing machine, coaches, etc. is well worth their while, but that is only my speculation.

When Burke ran the Leafs he talked about one of the benefits of having the Marlies in the same city was recruiting free agents, especially from Europe. If a guy is going to relocate his family across the ocean it would be comforting and attractive to know that if he gets sent to the minors he sleeps in the same bed. This was one of the reasons the Flames couldn’t keep Andrei Taratukhin in North America.

Additionally, having the AHL/WHL in the same market is also attractive for all middling replacement level players looking for NHL work.

Each player is essentially their own brand or corporation.

Calgary is a centerpiece on the WHL scouting loops. If middling player is doing well for the Heat, he’s going to get more looks from scouts in town for WHL games who will also be checking out AHL games, than he would playing in the hinterlands where people will be watching games on TV or live only on specific scouting trips.

Agents know this as well. It’s one of the reasons why players want to play for the Marlies. Sam Gagner knew this when he requested to play for them, and he came back into the league.

Yes, Toronto is much more of a showcase location than Calgary for a player.

But Calgary, or even Winnipeg, is also much more of a showcase location than somewhere like Stockton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krynn View Post
Exactly from my understanding when they moved from St Jon's they where really thinking about moving here but with The Hitmen and Roughnecks they decided not to because of what you just said to much for the area .if one of the teams wasn't here we would have the farm team here.
Saint John.
Flamesguy_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:53 PM   #129
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, did these meetings even actually happen this week? The only reference to them I can find online is this story.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:55 PM   #130
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yes the Board of Governors meeting took place on Wednesday I believe

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:58 PM   #131
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The Heat (or Scorch) would likely be looking at long road trips I imagine. Fly down to California then bus around to the rest of the circuit as a cost-cutting move.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:18 PM   #132
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowRiverBruinsRule View Post
This is interesting. ``Closer to home`` is interesting and confusing. This is what I am hearing or know.
Hitmen played numerous games at 7 Chiefs in the past number of years.
The Flames organazation likes 7 Chiefs.
Many Flames and Heat players do lots of off season stuff there with Daneile Fujita as well as other players practicing. It is easy to get to being in the SW and Stoney Trail opening.
Flames announce the Heat moving closer to Calgary.
Winsport is out as they are back to IIHF International size on Arena A. This is after hosting the Women`s Worlds on NHL size. They could go back to NHL size. But Winsport is too hard to work with.
7 Chiefs may be changing their boards out on the main Arena to conform with NHL and WHL standards. It is a big project but very doable and can do quickly. Moose Jaw Warriors had to do it in Mosaic Place to meet WHL standards.
Maybe stuff happening at 7 Chiefs in regards to dressing rooms.
Hitmen or Heat or just upgrading for 7 Chiefs.

I can hear Beesley moonlighting now. Ladies aaand Gentlemen...your Tsuu T'ina Heeeeat!!!!
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:42 PM   #133
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Yes the Board of Governors meeting took place on Wednesday I believe
Any news?
Old 05-21-2022, 10:31 AM   #134
puckbrain
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
When I first logged in, the title of this post was abbreviated as "Report: Flames to relocate" and I had a minor heart attack.
if they don't get a new arena, they might....
puckbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 10:44 AM   #135
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Relocate to tsu tina...then use AHL team as a means to justify a city funded practice rink/multi-use arena inside the arena complex. The additional funding for the overall arena complex brings the flames contribution back down below $300M #4DChess
Old 05-21-2022, 10:51 AM   #136
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Does Airdrie have an arena that could support the Hitmen?

Heat and Flames in CGY and the Hitmen in Airdrie could work IMO

I absolutely love the thought of having the Flames AHL team in the same city.
No
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:59 PM   #137
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
The Heat (or Scorch) would likely be looking at long road trips I imagine. Fly down to California then bus around to the rest of the circuit as a cost-cutting move.
Presuming they are even in that division...Coachella would make 10 teams, with 7 in the Central including WPG and Austin which are outposts. It would probably make sense to split the west into three divisions:

Pacific SW = 7
Central = 5
Flying Division = 5 (Abbotsford, Calgary, Loveland, Winnipeg, Austin)

I wonder if the 'flying division' could collaborate and share a bus in each of the other divisions. Or the Pacific stays completely internal and the Flying/Central mix a bit more.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:02 PM   #138
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/heat...th/c-334263682

"The Flames announced today that the American Hockey League (AHL) Board of Governors has approved the relocation of its AHL franchise from Stockton, Calif., to Calgary beginning with the 2022-23 season.

"Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation have appreciated the partnership with the City of Stockton since our arrival in 2015," said Heat General Manager Brad Pascall. "We especially would like to say thank you to the Heat fans who loyally supported the team and continue to throughout the 2022 AHL Playoffs."

Details relating to the transfer are in progress and the Club will provide more information when finalized."
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:03 PM   #139
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Calgary it is then.

Cool

I imagine we'll get a ton more first hand info and updates on the Heat and their players now. There will be ton more CP member eyes on them regularly.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:08 PM   #140
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

I think this is good news and even overdue. It’s a good option if you can’t afford to go to Flames games all the time and still a big step up from JR. I’m looking forward to going.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good