Default Spoilers - Dr Strange 2 - Spoilers

Spoiler thread for Doctor Strange.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:27 PM   #2
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was awesome

I went in completely blind outside of professor Xs voice in the trailers. (I hate when movies do that in previews)

Loved that they went full Villian with Wanda. Loved the big bad resolution not requiring an epic battle. So it had a much better third act then most. Having the solution be Wanda seeing herself as a Monster was excellent and had a tear jerking moment as she decides to give up her kids.

I also liked that they told a coherent story that didn’t rely on multiverse gimmicks to solve the problem. They were restrained in its application. They did an excellent job with the you get to kill heroes and swap identities in cool ways. The Reed Richard’s intro and fatality were awesome. Black bolts death by his own voice, Carter cut in half by the shield. Just excellent work by Rami on the fatalities. The whole 818 sequence was perfect Rami style. Xavier’s death is a neat link to the start of House of M in the comics. So all the multiverse was great.

They also kept some key continuity’s from what-if with the Christine and Strange are never together across any multiverse. Also the zombie strange matched What-if zombie strange and Wanda looked in parts like zombie Wanda. And they used the work done by Wandavision really well. This bodes well for the integration of Loki/Kang into the future movies

I have to think about where it ranks but it’s pretty high up for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2022, 10:31 PM   #3
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly kind of underwhelming considering the hype around the multiverse. It was very cool seeing Krasinski show up as Reed, but that was really the only jaw dropping moment. I do wish we got to explore the multiverse more than we did. We really only got to see two other universes and one of them was a dead world.

I felt it could have played to the strengths of the concept a little more.

This film is going to be divisive, especially by the female audience. I’m stunned that Marvel took one of their feminist icons and turned her into a mass murderer. Even in the comics Wanda has never crossed the line this far. I don't feel there was enough build up from the end of WandaVision to MOM to justify her going from traumatized hero to full on supervillain.

In saying that, villain Wanda was terrifying and the visuals were extremely unsettling.

I don't love how some big name heroes jobbed to Scarlet Witch. Mr. Fantastic and (especially) Professor X should have put up a much more of a fight, but in saying that it was really effective to show how powerful Wanda had become.

It was peak Sam Raimi, for better or worse. The horror elements with Wanda were really effective, but a big chunk of this was a mess.

6.5/10
Old 05-07-2022, 01:22 AM   #4
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

####ing terrible. One of my least favourite MCU movies. Why do the effects in these keep getting worse?

Just exhausting to sit through, and this was one I was excited about. But it was a chore to watch.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2022, 07:24 AM   #5
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
####ing terrible. One of my least favourite MCU movies. Why do the effects in these keep getting worse?

Just exhausting to sit through, and this was one I was excited about. But it was a chore to watch.
Are you a Sam Raimi Evil Dead / Army of Darkness person. Depending on what affects you disliked I think a lot of that was Raimis style. Assuming it was the zombie type effects rather than the generic magic ones.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:29 PM   #6
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

It definitely had nothing to do with the Raimi-ness of it all. It felt like he barely directed the movie. There were glimpses of his immense talent being suffocated by the MCU.

The parts that felt the most Raimi were the best. But otherwise, it was so, so bland... and the green screen effects were some of the worst I've ever seen.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 04:14 PM   #7
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was super hyped to see this one especially with Raimi directing it but honestly it left me wanting more. It was okay, like it's miles ahead of Morbius but I didn't love it. The cameos are the best part for sure but in like 10 years no one will care about the cameos. Also I wish Patrick Stewart had kept his final appearance in Logan where it was a fitting end.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 06:01 PM   #8
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think for me, I thought the tone of the film was good as it didn't have as much breaking tension with humor. The biggest problem for me was the pacing and the movie was just chaotic and you needed to watch a TV show to get the motivation if the villain.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:50 PM   #9
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a horror film in disguise.

Sam Raimi went back to his roots. Lots of tropes of horror films throughout, but disguised as a super hero film. I was genuinely terrified watching Wanda rip through hero after hero without a scratch on her.

Also, this is easily the best mother's day themed movie ever.

Shout out to Bruce Campbell reprising his "possessed hand" motif from the Evil Dead series. Loved the cameo and scene after credits.

I had to add, the scene with the music notes was refreshing and imaginative. I really loved that battle.

Last edited by Cali Panthers Fan; 05-07-2022 at 08:53 PM.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2022, 08:52 PM   #10
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I think for me, I thought the tone of the film was good as it didn't have as much breaking tension with humor. The biggest problem for me was the pacing and the movie was just chaotic and you needed to watch a TV show to get the motivation if the villain.
This is very true. I forced my wife to watch Wandavision a week ago (which she actually loved BTW) only so she could be up to date with what was going on in this movie. Anyone who hadn't seen this wouldn't care about the plot.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 09:43 PM   #11
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I liked it. I felt it was very unique and different. I give Marvel credit again for going a different route. At first I thought oh great he recruits Wanda and they battle these demons together in some climatic finale battle. Been there done that. That was phase 1-2 and a bit of 3 of the MCU. But here in phase 4 they are pushing the boundaries and trying to reinvent things and I give them credit for that. So the Wanda as the villain reveal is something I didn’t see coming and it was very well done.

They did a good job of drawing on other sources such as What if, Wandavision.. I am concerned for the casual movie goer though who a lot of this will go over their head and leave them confused.

The cameos were great, it was really neat to see. I think it was even cooler to see Wanda unleashed and able to burn through these “expendable” heroes that we all have different attachments to.

To be honest though with what was at their disposal I was expecting more. I thought we might get a sequence where they battled through universss and just saw glimpses and Easter eggs of other heroes and castings. There was the potential for more… but at the same time I was still satisfied with the conclusion.

I would give this one a 8/10, big marks again for being unique.
GGG
Old 05-08-2022, 06:02 AM   #12
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the fast pace, with 3 huge fight scenes in the first act alone really setting the tone of the wild ride to come. The pace suffers a bit when the hero and villain are separated (reminded me of Thor Ragnarok) but quickly recovers and sticks the landing.

I had no idea who the main villain was going to be and found the big twist at the beginning revealing Wanda's intentions chilling. It was nice to have a villain whose motivation is completely fleshed out and I found her story arc compelling. I also enjoyed the Doctor Strange growth learning he doesn't always have to be in charge. Even America Chavez, mainly used as a plot device, was given a decent introduction with a minor arc.

I really enjoyed the horror elements and old school Raimi camp bringing what felt like a fresh approach to the stale super hero genre. I've heard this described as a horror movie but felt it is more of a straight forward hero's journey with a heavy use of horror visuals. I also found the the cinematography and music was used well to add tension.

I had expected a little more "madness" with the universes and cameos but upon reflection it was nice to see the story simplified without an over reliance on fan service. Still some brilliant fan service though and amazing to have both the Fantastic 4 and Mutants introduced at the same time. Did feel Mordo was a bit wasted and there was no continuity from the end of the first Doctor Strange however did like they found more for Christine this time.

Overall I had a great time at the cinema and this was easily my favourite post End Game MCU film that revitalized my interest in the genre. I could understand however how casual viewers may have issues with this as you really need to have watched a TV show, seen multiple other movies, and understand the comics to fully grasp the full story and references. Would highly recommended if you are a MCU or Raimi fan and still a fun ride with great visuals otherwise. 8.5/10

Last edited by FireGilbert; 05-08-2022 at 06:08 AM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 08:45 AM   #13
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Yeah this movie is the first one outside of probably End Game that you needed to have done homework before watching. Marvel in general had done a really good job of making previous instalments feel essential but not be necessary. This movie lost that balance because without Wandavision and I’d argue even WhatIf was huge you would have missed why Strange is the way he is and Wanda is the way she is.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:30 PM   #14
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was disappointed.

From the first few minutes you could tell they were going to blister through the story and hope that WandaVision would do most of the heavy lifting. It didn't work. Wanda went scorched earth faster than Danaerys Targaryen and I just couldn't buy it. Even with a full, dedicated series to her character it felt forced.

I didn't care for the style at all. It seems most of the positivity comes from people who appreciate Raimi's filmmaking, but I didn't think it fit the MCU. Sloppy, flashy, rushed, and campy...took me entirely out of the movie. While I appreciate the idea of experimenting with something fresh I would hope this is the only crack Raimi gets at the MCU.

Almost every surprise was telegraphed by promotional material. Still not sure how that was all approved and released. That said seeing Captain Carter and a proper Reed Richards was pretty cool, although I would guess that's all we are getting of the former.

Much like Black Widow I don't think I'll ever need to see this film again. I don't know if there is any future for Wanda Maximoff in the MCU with what they did to her character here, and it all feels like wasted opportunity. Overall the MCU hasn't handled their female heroes very well. Too bad.

6/10.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2022, 06:51 PM   #15
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 05-08-2022, 08:18 PM   #16
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked it. Just a fun experience at the theatre, nothing all that noteworthy but a fun adventure. In some ways it felt like an extended What If episode and that's not a bad thing IMO. I'm not looking for Shakespeare here. I liked the horror visuals and some of the plot turns.

That world needs some better superheroes though. The Illuminati about as effective at Batman's detective skills in the last movie.

Anyway that's kind of what i want out of a superhero movie. I loved Wanda's character in Wandavision and while I'm glad they committed to her as the villain, I'm also a little surprised. Was also expecting a Vision appearance but I imagine his absence was intentional, allowing her motherly motivations to remain untainted.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:37 PM   #17
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm a horror junkie.

And I adore the evil dead series.

So needless to say, I highly enjoyed this.

A splash of darkness and horror is precisely what no one knew the MCU needed on screen.

Wanda/Scarlett was such a good villain! One of the greatest, perhaps. The stakes felt high when she started massacring and her motivation was convincing and felt very personal, which made her somewhat terrifying.

Some critics said this was at the bottom with Thor Dark World. That's blasphemy.

I thought the kid and Strange's forced relationship (especially with Christine since they barely formed a connection) was the weakest part, but was easily forgivable in the grand scheme.

Channeling the souls of the dead with his corpse was INCREDIBLE. One of the best sequences in the whole franchise. Raimi knows just how to put a smile on my face with his morbid, fun antics. What a treasure that man is.

Some fun references in there too.

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-08-2022 at 10:39 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:51 AM   #18
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really liked it. Ditto all of the above.

I hope parents pay attention to the ratings or there will be a lot of kidlets having nightmares.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:01 AM   #19
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Surprising how divisive this ended up being.

Ordinary, not engaging, boring? I think these critics were way off.

Sounds more like they were describing the back half of Shang Chi than this movie.

Alt universe heroes being obliterated in grusome ways doesn't raise your pulse, but CGI dragons fighting CGI chinese mythical creatures is engrossing?

Alright then.

Next to Thanos this was also the most fleshed out villain in the MCU, as we even got a whole series as a prologue to her role in this.

There's a long list of more forgettable and worse-acted baddies. And as I've always said, superhero flicks are often only as good as their villains.

Boo these people!
Old 05-09-2022, 11:03 AM   #20
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

Man, your generation's taste sucks! Boo.

(I'm teasing)