Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2022, 02:24 PM   #41
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Part of the reason I wanted the Flames to acquire Stastny for a long time is so he wouldn't be able to play against the Flames anymore. What a pain in the ass he can be out there.
Not to derail the thread, but hell, I'd still take him on a cheap, short-term deal if he was interested. He's still effective and seems to have an idea of what to expect from this Sutter system.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 02:26 PM   #42
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Stastny is making his case in hopes Mr. Treliving gives his agent a call this summer.

Edit - friend says Stastny donated to the Ottawa truck convoy?!?

Last edited by activeStick; 05-02-2022 at 02:30 PM.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 03:00 PM   #43
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stastny clearly wants to be a Flame.
Old 05-02-2022, 03:16 PM   #44
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Looks like Stastny is making his case in hopes Mr. Treliving gives his agent a call this summer.

Edit - friend says Stastny donated to the Ottawa truck convoy?!?
Yup. He believes Canada is headed into full-on Soviet-era communism.

If we're passing on Sheifele, I'm ok passing right by Stastny as well.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 03:21 PM   #45
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Yup. He believes Canada is headed into full-on Soviet-era communism.

If we're passing on Sheifele, I'm ok passing right by Stastny as well.
Why would that have any bearing on whether Flames sign him or not? That's like saying you wouldn't sign someone because they voted conservative or liberal. I would hope Treliving doesn't take political affiliation as part of the reason for or against signing a hockey player to play hockey.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2022, 03:36 PM   #46
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Backlund + Mangiapane for Scheifele in the off-season.

Worst.

Trade.

Ever.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan403 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2022, 03:43 PM   #47
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Why would that have any bearing on whether Flames sign him or not? That's like saying you wouldn't sign someone because they voted conservative or liberal. I would hope Treliving doesn't take political affiliation as part of the reason for or against signing a hockey player to play hockey.
No, it's not like that in the slightest. Anyone associating politics with the "freedom" crowd haven't been paying attention.

Why would Stastny's comments be a deterrent from acquiring Sheifele? It seems to me the guy doesn't have the best grip on reality if he's donating to a cause with explicit intention of supplanting Canadian democracy and terrorizing the citizens of our capital. Maybe his assessment of his teammate is as poor as his judgement here.

It all boils down to the same belief: the Calgary Flames revitalization under Sutter has everything to do with character and culture of the locker room. If we're judging Sheifele from outside the room, it's either just as fair or unfair to judge Stastny in the same fashion.

Either way, I wouldn't want a guy like that percolating those ideas throughout the locker room. It's the same reason ad infinitum for not having a player with poor character on the team.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2022, 05:09 PM   #48
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
No, it's not like that in the slightest. Anyone associating politics with the "freedom" crowd haven't been paying attention.

Why would Stastny's comments be a deterrent from acquiring Sheifele? It seems to me the guy doesn't have the best grip on reality if he's donating to a cause with explicit intention of supplanting Canadian democracy and terrorizing the citizens of our capital.
It seems to me that you don't have any grip on reality at all if you think that's what the trucker convoy was about. Unless by ‘Canadian democracy’ you mean a system where the vote is virtually meaningless, weak minority governments act as if they had a massive popular mandate and ignore all opposition, Parliament is routinely bypassed in favour of orders in council, important policies are decided by fiat without public consultation, and people don't even have the right to protest against the policies that are pushed on them. If that is indeed what you mean by ‘Canadian democracy’, we would be far better off to supplant it with a government that could actually be held accountable for its actions.

But God forbid that anyone who doesn't agree with your politics should be allowed to play hockey.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:13 PM   #49
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
It seems to me that you don't have any grip on reality at all if you think that's what the trucker convoy was about. Unless by ‘Canadian democracy’ you mean a system where the vote is virtually meaningless, weak minority governments act as if they had a massive popular mandate and ignore all opposition, Parliament is routinely bypassed in favour of orders in council, important policies are decided by fiat without public consultation, and people don't even have the right to protest against the policies that are pushed on them. If that is indeed what you mean by ‘Canadian democracy’, we would be far better off to supplant it with a government that could actually be held accountable for its actions.

But God forbid that anyone who doesn't agree with your politics should be allowed to play hockey.
The truck convoy was a small group of idiots who hoodwinked a larger group of idiots into giving them a pile of money. That's it.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2022, 05:15 PM   #50
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The truck convoy was a small group of idiots who hoodwinked a larger group of idiots into giving them a pile of money. That's it.
The truck convoy was exactly what you get when a government becomes too arrogant to listen to the people it's supposed to represent, and some of them get angry and resort to other methods.

The idea that it was a scam to raise money has not one iota of factual support, but hey, you do you.

I suppose you were all in favour of CHOP/CHAZ and the BLM riots, because hey, those protesters were on your side. Clearly nobody has any right to a voice if they happen to disagree with you.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:23 PM   #51
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
The truck convoy was exactly what you get when a government becomes too arrogant to listen to the people it's supposed to represent, and some of them get angry and resort to other methods.

The idea that it was a scam to raise money has not one iota of factual support, but hey, you do you.

I suppose you were all in favour of CHOP/CHAZ and the BLM riots, because hey, those protesters were on your side. Clearly nobody has any right to a voice if they happen to disagree with you.
Didn't you just parrot that same bs line in the last disagreement you had like a few posts up? Poor Jay is a victim because nobody ever agrees with him, boo hoo. Christ you whine a lot. Everything factually points to a few people who gathered a bunch of money and then pocketed the majority of it. It is out there for everyone to see, just because you wear a tin foil hat where the government is the boogy man doesn't mean anyone is buying your National Enquirer level bs.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2022, 05:26 PM   #52
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Can't tell if you are being serious or sarcastic, but in case you are being serious...

*insert Elaine hitting George on the forehead "stick to the opposite"*
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:43 PM   #53
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Didn't you just parrot that same bs line in the last disagreement you had like a few posts up?
No, I did not, and I don't parrot anything – unlike you, Comrade.

Quote:
Poor Jay is a victim because nobody ever agrees with him, boo hoo.
I don't talk about politics on a hockey forum unless some monumental jerk shoves it in my face and claims his point of view is the only possible one. So how about you shut your piehole or take it to off-topic where it belongs? There's a reason why I never go there.

I don't care who agrees with me or not. What I care about at this moment is that a couple of doctrinaire left-wing yahoos have turned a hockey forum into a place to demand the unpersoning of everyone who disagrees with them.

Quote:
Christ you whine a lot.
As opposed to Yamer, who whines because a man whose politics he dislikes is allowed to play NHL hockey?

Quote:
Everything factually points to a few people who gathered a bunch of money and then pocketed the majority of it.
I call bull. The only people pocketing money were the federal government when it froze the accounts. That was all over the news at the time, I distinctly recall; but no doubt The Party has commanded that it never happened so it can all be a money-raising conspiracy done by criminal masterminds who are somehow also complete idiots. I guess you are crazy enough to believe such a story; I can't force it down my gullet.

Quote:
It is out there for everyone to see, just because you wear a tin foil hat where the government is the boogy man doesn't mean anyone is buying your National Enquirer level bs.
I watch hockey to get away from this crap. Leave your copy of Pravda outside or go somewhere else.

Last edited by Jay Random; 05-02-2022 at 05:45 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Random For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2022, 05:43 PM   #54
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
He refused to pay him after the guy agreed to cook full time for Schiefele AND Wheeler and had resigned from his drafting job for the City of Winnipeg. This makes him an even bigger jerk than just not paying him.

Besides, doesn't he famously not swear? How could you trust any hockey player that didn't swear? That'd be like playing hockey with an NPC video game hockey player.
He takes a guy who was working a hopeless low paying job. Although with the city which is decent security, benefits and offers predictable time off/work load. Offers him 50 k to be his personal chef which for a Winnipeg draftsman sounds too good to be true....than refuses to pay him.

Schiefele deserves a kick in the nuts. Screwing over a poor draftsman for pay is like him going to a homeless shelter and ruining all the food.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2022, 06:01 PM   #55
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Ooh a meltdown. Classic CP.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:07 PM   #56
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know you didn't intend it, but this is certainly one of the more humorous things I've read on this board.

They were literal insurrectionists, Jay. Canada Unity's MOU is freely available across the internet.

https://www.netnewsledger.com/2022/0...understanding/

Whether we or the government took it seriously doesn't matter, because they did. Well, at least until someone likely showed them, in pictures and sound effects, how what they were proposing was treasonous.

Quote:
I never said Stastny shouldn't be allowed to play hockey. I simply prefer he not do so with the team for which I cheer.

Quote:
I don't care who agrees with me or not. What I care about at this moment is that a couple of doctrinaire left-wing yahoos have turned a hockey forum into a place to demand the unpersoning of everyone who disagrees with them.
None of that happened here.

Quote:
As opposed to Yamer, who whines because a man whose politics he dislikes is allowed to play NHL hockey?
Was I whining? I felt like I expressed my opinion on the topic coherently and with the substance I deemed necessary to the discussion. Or is it only whining when it differs from your opinion and you want to be dismissive?

Quote:
I watch hockey to get away from this crap. Leave your copy of Pravda outside or go somewhere else.
If that were true you would just ignore it and move on, but here we are.

I'm not going to stop you if you want to dramatically trapeze around to justify an insurrectionist movement with unapologetic ties to western separatism and open bigotry. By all means, fill your boots.

They have a right to protest and demonstrate, and we have the right to say what they are doing and how they are doing it is not only un-Canadian, but supremely idiotic. And anyone that is willing to financially back that kind of movement can feel free to revel in derision.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 05-02-2022, 09:35 PM   #57
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sean Monahan > Mark Scheifele
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 09:56 PM   #58
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Backlund + Mangiapane for Scheifele in the off-season.
But the Flames would want to make the team better, not worse. Maybe this trade if it was 3 years ago and we didn’t know what a net negative Scheifele would become.

Teams matter, people getting along within the team matters. This is why Sutter stresses team over individual over and over and over and over and over.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:05 PM   #59
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Don’t worry. He won’t.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:07 PM   #60
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why were they idiots?
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good