Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2022, 11:07 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Oilers 5 Flames 3

Game Takes: Oilers 5 Flames 3

- Flames dominate five on five
- Lots of seeing pucks find their way past Markstrom
- Not sure on that missed interference call on the game winner
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:37 PM   #2
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great writeup Bingo. I saw Monahan the same way, a very strong game at both ends. He was noticeable in a good way.

I see the Draisaitl goal differently though. Tanev wasn’t pushing him out wide IMO, he got beat to the front of the net, 29 went totally around him.

That doesn’t mean there shouldn’t have been an interference call but Tanev should’t be chasing his guy looking for help there IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 12:55 AM   #3
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly, such a great write up on the game. I was like why is the fourth line out with 3:40 or whatever it was to go. I think, only that Darryl is saying we roll deep win or lose.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:34 AM   #4
SaskyFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Monahan is such a key for this team this year. If he is still getting up to speed after hip surgery and can find another gear, he is another depth scorer for them. Likely never the first line scorer ever again but if he can get back to a 2nd line center things look much better. Not sure it happens or if he has it in him, but a healthier more productive Monahan would be a great deadline addition.
SaskyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SaskyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 08:06 AM   #5
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Missing scoring from our top guns sure isn't helping.
I know its just 1 game but ....ouch.
Get back on yer horses fellas we have to get points.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:08 AM   #6
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Markstrom providing inconsistent goaltending. This is a real concern.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:33 AM   #7
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Markstrom providing inconsistent goaltending. This is a real concern.
I thought Markstrom was very unlucky last night.

Literally four shots through screens that he didn't even see. Big goaltenders get hit by more of those on most nights.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:34 AM   #8
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Great writeup Bingo. I saw Monahan the same way, a very strong game at both ends. He was noticeable in a good way.

I see the Draisaitl goal differently though. Tanev wasn’t pushing him out wide IMO, he got beat to the front of the net, 29 went totally around him.

That doesn’t mean there shouldn’t have been an interference call but Tanev should’t be chasing his guy looking for help there IMO.
Yeah honestly my focus wasn't on Tanev doing the right or wrong things, but that the next line of defense was taken out on a pick creating a game winning goal in a game where they already set the precedent for interference calls earlier in the game.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 09:04 AM   #9
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames now 3-5-1 in the division and 5-6-3 overall in the West. This is a trend that absolutely needs to end. For whatever reason they have generally played well against every division but their own.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:14 AM   #10
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I didn't think Markstrom was problematic last night. I guess he could have made a few more saves, but it's not like he was out of position or failing to track cross-ice passes or something.

Refs decided on a home win for the Oilers, I thought the calls on ice were really inconsistent. NHL turning into soccer - it's a penalty for THIS guy but not THAT guy.

And we gotta face it, the biggest issue is that the Flames just don't have enough scoring talent. Dube has most of a net to shoot at on a 2 on 1 and can't elevate. Just no finish on the team below the top line.

"Same old Flames"
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:24 AM   #11
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Flames now 3-5-1 in the division and 5-6-3 overall in the West. This is a trend that absolutely needs to end. For whatever reason they have generally played well against every division but their own.
Results are results, you need to pick up the points.

But the team isn't playing poorly against the West or their division.

Some stats five on five

CF%
Atlantic 51.2%
Central 59.1%
Metro 52.9%
Pacific 54.7%

xGF%
Atlantic 49.6%
Central 64.2%
Metro 51.5%
Pacific 53.9%

HD Splits
Atlantic 51.0%
Central 66.7%
Metro 50.2%
Pacific 55.6%

They have played the Pacific 2nd best behind the Central which has considerably less games.

What it comes down to finishing and getting the save. The Flames have terrible shooting percentages against both the Central and Pacific, and similarly poor save percentages.

PDO by Division
Atlantic 101
Central 96
Metro 103
Pacific 97

As I said you need the points but they're playing just fine in the West.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 09:52 AM   #12
Tabaracci_31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Great write up, Bingo. Thanks as always for your great work! I’m usually pretty measured after games but last night was so frustrating. It’s nice to read the game takes- I always find them grounding. I agree with a lot of what you said. Monaghan was pretty good, IMO, and that’s nice to see. I don’t understand the missed interference call- that’s a pretty awful way to lose that game. That said, it’s also frustrating that we blew the 2-0 lead. As soon as the Oil got that first goal, I was thinking “here we go!” That said, credit to this edition of the team for fighting back to tie the game. Still, this one stings…
Tabaracci_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:52 AM   #13
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I disagree. Getting saves and finishing are the key ingredients to winning games and as you say they aren't getting that. The advanced stats are meaningless if they don't translate to points in the standings.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:00 AM   #14
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I disagree. Getting saves and finishing are the key ingredients to winning games and as you say they aren't getting that. The advanced stats are meaningless if they don't translate to points in the standings.
Thanks teach!

Doesn't all of that pretty much fit into my comments about you need the points/results?

Bottom line though they're not playing poorly against their division, which is what you said.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:00 AM   #15
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

EE has a good point. Outshooting and outchancing are important but they don’t decide the game. Hockey games and individual series are decided by athletes making plays, from players scoring, goalies making saves and skaters avoiding big mistakes that end up in the back of your net.

Some athletes are able to deliver these in bigger moments better than others.

It’s funny about the winning goal. Some fans focus on Tanev getting beat, others focus on the missed call. Guess I’m more in the camp of thinking about what you could have done better so guess that’s why I’m looking at Tanev there.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:05 AM   #16
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
EE has a good point. Outshooting and outchancing are important but they don’t decide the game. Hockey games and individual series are decided by athletes making plays, from players scoring, goalies making saves and skaters avoiding big mistakes that end up in the back of your net.

It’s funny about the winning goal. Some fans focus on Tanev getting beat, others focus on the missed call. Guess I’m more in the camp of thinking about what you could have done better so guess that’s why I’m looking at Tanev there.
Right but the same athletes are playing against the other divisions too.

The Flames aren't playing poorly against their division. They're not getting the results but it's the same goaltender and the same shooters that are running rough shod over the East.

I mean seriously, every one points to the Pacific as the weakest division so I'm sure it's not a Calgary can't play against the Pacific issue. They've had some great bounces against the East, and none against the Pacific.

They need the results but it isn't legit to say they're not playing well against their division.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:06 AM   #17
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well, Tanev doesn’t get beat - no goal. But people get beat in hockey - you have to plan for the worst all the time. But there, I still don’t think the non-call affects it. Kylington had a man to cover. But Lindholm was lazy on that play - watch the replay and tell me what he’s doing.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:09 AM   #18
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I thought Markstrom was very unlucky last night.

Literally four shots through screens that he didn't even see. Big goaltenders get hit by more of those on most nights.
He needs to work on looking around screens then. I thought he had a horrible night tracking the puck and finding it through screens. That's part of the job.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:05 AM   #19
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well, Tanev doesn’t get beat - no goal. But people get beat in hockey - you have to plan for the worst all the time. But there, I still don’t think the non-call affects it. Kylington had a man to cover. But Lindholm was lazy on that play - watch the replay and tell me what he’s doing.
Yeah people get beat. Calls get missed. Back checkers don't get back in time. All these things happen.

In this particular game, we didn't have anyone beat their man clean in a one on one situation with four minutes left in a tie game to score the go ahead goal.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:11 AM   #20
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Right but the same athletes are playing against the other divisions too.

The Flames aren't playing poorly against their division. They're not getting the results but it's the same goaltender and the same shooters that are running rough shod over the East.

I mean seriously, every one points to the Pacific as the weakest division so I'm sure it's not a Calgary can't play against the Pacific issue. They've had some great bounces against the East, and none against the Pacific.

They need the results but it isn't legit to say they're not playing well against their division.
Flames are playing well within their Division by many measures. And I'm sure we'd all agree that shooting statistics don't decide hockey games.

I'd say the Flames are full marks for their record overall, but I don't really love how it's trending either. If a month from now we're still talking about not getting the bounces and calls, things might not be in a good place.