Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2022, 11:53 AM   #281
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Go back the entire season and count how many times this same narrative had been said… LOL.

There’s something to be said about a team who can’t finish… ever.
Well, except, 3 days ago, when they scored 5 goals against the best team in the NHL.

Apparently, “ever” has been redefined.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 12:00 PM   #282
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No matter what the excuse. No puck luck, bad bounces, we won the advanced stats.
You're not going to win many games giving up 4 goals. And when you blow a 2-0 lead it usually doesn't end well.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 12:05 PM   #283
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquatch View Post
Flames had more chances 5 on 5 and just couldn't do anything with them. A little puck luck would have been nice, but I saw lots of shots right into Koskinen's belly too.

I thought the Flames handled the puck like a grenade most of the night, like they were afraid to make a mistake with it. That's not good.
Flames got away from thier game which is something they've been working on. It is just not consistent yet. My impression the Flames are still learning how to win. Looks like a few guys still not pulling their weight, and the Flames need everybody rolling.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 12:12 PM   #284
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Go back the entire season and count how many times this same narrative had been said… LOL.

Not just the season, virtually all of Treliving’s tenure as GM. I’ve been questioning this team’s inability to finish and “unluckiness” for years. This management group seems to have a knack for finding guys who have really good underlying numbers and can produce high shot volumes, but lack execution and finish.

I believe the Flames have been one of the better analytics teams of the past half decade and yet we continue to see the same conclusions to our seasons, early first round exit or missing the playoffs all together.

I’ve heard the saying that a team takes on the identity of it’s coach. Well, it kind of looks like this team has actually taken the identity of their GM. Hard working, always in the mix, high volume of attempts taken, but ultimately lacks execution and ends up disappointed.

Bet you couldn’t tell if I was talking about the team or Treliving’s trade history.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 12:16 PM   #285
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Well, except, 3 days ago, when they scored 5 goals against the best team in the NHL.

Apparently, “ever” has been redefined.
I mean fair enough, but you know the context is broader as in doing well for more than 1 game every 10 or so, but you got me there.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 12:21 PM   #286
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

TBay put one in on Anaheim the other day. Plugs.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 12:25 PM   #287
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't care about the circumstances, what the refs did, or any of the rest of it. I don't care that Kostinem played lights out. Losing to that sad-sack organization pisses me off. Now we don't get to play them until early March. 7th I think I saw. That's a long wait to redeem ourselves.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 12:33 PM   #288
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Flames had the Oilers right where they wanted them. Down 2-0 looking lost then Kylington takes an unnecessary, obvious, weak but obvious cross checking penalty and gives the Oilers exactly what they needed. I turned it off 2 minutes after they made it 2-1 cause I just had this feeling it wasn’t going to end well.
Smart.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:45 PM   #289
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

There’s no way you can tell me based on how they played last night they deserved to win. Sloppy, no secondary scoring, weak power play and suspect goaltending on 2 of the 4 goals.

Some value the advance stats/metrics way too much, this team is once again a mid tier mediocre team about to lose its star forward to UFA. I can’t get on board with the “just keep playing like this” train because nothings changing.

Yeah there's a way to tall you based on how they played last night that they deserved to win.

Lots of stats back that up to be honest.

This team will always be challenged in finishing, never debated that, in fact I've said it often. But least night they deserved to win the game because they carried the play and had a goaltender that stopped a lot of shots that he didn't even know he stopped.

Happens.

But you can be angry about it if you want, your prerogative!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 12:50 PM   #290
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I mean fair enough, but you know the context is broader as in doing well for more than 1 game every 10 or so, but you got me there.
The Flames are 12th in goals per game. 20 teams have worse scoring at the moment.

It's not 1 of every 10 games.

The team is 10th in creating high danger chances five on five, which is great.

But to your point they don't finish high danger chances well. The Flames are ranked 29th in high danger shooting percentage.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 12:55 PM   #291
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Yeah there's a way to tall you based on how they played last night that they deserved to win.

This team will always be challenged in finishing, never debated that, in fact I've said it often. But least night they deserved to win the game because they carried the play and had a goaltender that stopped a lot of shots that he didn't even know he stopped.

Happens.

Angry, maybe but more so disappointed that we’ve wasted so many years being mediocre at best.

What matters the most is winning games, and the flames just aren’t doing that.
Results on the ice > advanced stats , doesn’t matter how bad we’ve run the board this year on advanced stats (we’re always high) we just can’t find a way to actually win the games. This organization needs to change that.

We need finishers, not depth guys. We need scoring from the back end, not Zadorovs. There’s a lot this GM keeps doing wrong and I guess it just gets tiring living out the same scenario year after year. Especially when our brightest star is UFA and we could lose him for nothing (familiar once again)

Mediocrity in a nutshell.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:07 PM   #292
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm happy I wasn't too bummed after the game...I kind of expected it:
- reasonably important game to win? Check.
- playing the Oil? Check.
- Oil playing crappy? check.
- Oilers down a few players? Check.
>>> Boot up a stinker.

As I said earlier, I thought Oilers played at the top of their game...the Flames did not.

I'm a bit surprised with Sutter that he didn't have them more settled...but the MT comment in his interview with Scott Oake was telling. Oake asked him about confidence after the Florida game and MT said they were confident. Big mistake. And a surprising one.

Anyway, Flames did what the team always does, regardless of coach. As above. Big game vs the Oilers? Blow it. Sigh.

On top of that we had to listen to homeritis all night (I turned the sound off after the two PP goals by the Oilers. It was insufferable.)
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 01:13 PM   #293
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Happens.

Quote:
But to your point they don't finish high danger chances well. The Flames are ranked 29th in high danger shooting percentage.
The former happens more than it should because of the latter.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:17 PM   #294
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

You guys can have any opinion you want to have.

Scrappy teams with a lack of finish that grossly out play their opposition deserve to win games in my mind.

But that's just my opinion.

You are happy to be as upset as you want to be. Only thing I've taken issue with is someone telling me I can't think they deserved to win.

I can. I will. I have.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 01:17 PM   #295
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last night made me far too upset and angry. I’m still in a foul mood. I doubt the players are. For my own mental well being best not to watch any more BOA games for a long time.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:21 PM   #296
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
I'm happy I wasn't too bummed after the game...I kind of expected it:
- reasonably important game to win? Check.
- playing the Oil? Check.
- Oil playing crappy? check.
- Oilers down a few players? Check.
>>> Boot up a stinker.

As I said earlier, I thought Oilers played at the top of their game...the Flames did not.

I'm a bit surprised with Sutter that he didn't have them more settled...but the MT comment in his interview with Scott Oake was telling. Oake asked him about confidence after the Florida game and MT said they were confident. Big mistake. And a surprising one.

Anyway, Flames did what the team always does, regardless of coach. As above. Big game vs the Oilers? Blow it. Sigh.

On top of that we had to listen to homeritis all night (I turned the sound off after the two PP goals by the Oilers. It was insufferable.)
I wasn't surprised, oilers might play crappy a majority of the time but seemed to have better games against the Flames. Not too worried, Flames just need to stay focused and improve some more. Looking forward to the TD, hopefully we can make some good tweeks.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:28 PM   #297
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They deserved to win both of the first BoA games.

Difference in both was the finishing ability of the top two players in ugly pylon orange.

And thats why Edmonton's ineptitude is laughable, because they have two guys that can be game changers and they can't round up an adequate enough supporting cast to do anything with them.

Any other team with BOTH of those guys would've seen a couple deep runs by this point, at least.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:31 PM   #298
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO Sutter hockey is winning hockey, in general. But it’s going to come with it’s fair share of times when you get one “should have had it” goal or one blown coverage to turn a 3-2 win into a 4-3 loss.

I guess the question is whether we and they want a team that wins by playing solid hockey or by hoping the other team misses a chance or a save.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:37 PM   #299
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 6th dman only having two goals isn't an issue

Top 4 and #1 PP dman only having one seems like an actual problem.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:54 PM   #300
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You guys can have any opinion you want to have.

Scrappy teams with a lack of finish that grossly out play their opposition deserve to win games in my mind.

But that's just my opinion.

You are happy to be as upset as you want to be. Only thing I've taken issue with is someone telling me I can't think they deserved to win.

I can. I will. I have.
Do you think the team deserves better than 17th overall?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote