Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2022, 09:46 AM   #261
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Yeah, I thought our only shift to shift good players up front were Tkachuk, Lindholm, Gaudreau and Monahan (good for Mony!), but Dube's effort on the PP to keep the puck in and then dive for the puck led directly to Lucic's goal. It was a good play by Dube.

Really disappointed with Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman as I thought that line really didn't do much.

The penalty kill and Markstrom's inability to make a big save was the difference in the game I thought. This Flames group putting up 3 goals should be enough. They're built to be a 3-2 team and rely on their top line and PP to generate pretty much all their offense, so it's pretty deflating to see the PK and goaltending be subpar.
I forgot about that Dube play, yeah it was good. Though he benefitted because Shore was just inept.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 09:52 AM   #262
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Really garbagey stuff and pro Oilers.

I don't know how you could weed out any kind of positive Flames narrative in what they said at all. Or much at all to do with the Flames for that matter.

You wouldn't know who scored for the Flames if you watched just the third period. They didn't talk about their tallies one bit, or who was contributing on the Flames side. I think just one obligatory Gaudreau mention.

But Bouch Bomb Bouchard was a big talking point. They were really trying to will that hat trick for him.

I don't know why Hrudey betrays us in these BoA broadcasts like that. Its really sad coming from a usually solid guy like him.

Oilers do good they milk them. Oilers stink they all feel sorry for them and root them on regardless.

No love for the Calgary viewers I guess.
Hrudey is the worst brown noser ever.
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:52 AM   #263
trieu8
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Should they move Sean up to play with Mang and Coleman?
trieu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:55 AM   #264
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I assume he was referring to Kylington's failure at the offensive blueline to get the puck deep on that play ten seconds prior. His pass was picked off which started the Draisaitl rush in the first place.

not sure I agree with Sutter but that's my take on his take
Sutter should be kicked in the nuts if he is blaming this on Kylington.
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:58 AM   #265
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trieu8 View Post
I feel Monahan has shown back to back strong games on his end, while Backlund provides absolute nothing still. So best to get Monahan with players that have shown they can produce somewhat.

It'll be huge to have Monahan performing like a top 6 player if he's still capable of it.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:09 AM   #266
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trieu8 View Post
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I feel Monahan has shown back to back strong games on his end, while Backlund provides absolute nothing still. So best to get Monahan with players that have shown they can produce somewhat.

It'll be huge to have Monahan performing like a top 6 player if he's still capable of it.
Yeah, if Monahan can keep stringing together strong games this team is in a much better situation.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:12 AM   #267
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post

Except Lucic is outproducing Coleman and Backlund. And Mangiapane is ice cold right now. Coleman has a great work ethic but his hands are suspect IMO. He’s around that net a lot but nothing really develops. And Backs has 4 goals. 4! One ahead of Lewis.

It really depends on the role of the line though. If Sutter wants a dedicated checking line, Backlund is better with Coleman than Monahan would be.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:29 AM   #268
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Except Lucic is outproducing Coleman and Backlund. And Mangiapane is ice cold right now. Coleman has a great work ethic but his hands are suspect IMO. He’s around that net a lot but nothing really develops. And Backs has 4 goals. 4! One ahead of Lewis.

It really depends on the role of the line though. If Sutter wants a dedicated checking line, Backlund is better with Coleman than Monahan would be.
This ...

I like Coleman he has good details and value for many things but he isn't the guy you want to have the puck on his stick. Stone hands.

He's a shot volume guy and he can play against the league's best because he's smart but you want him at the net banging in rebounds and not saucing it to an open player through some sticks.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:29 AM   #269
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
The penalty kill and Markstrom's inability to make a big save was the difference in the game I thought. This Flames group putting up 3 goals should be enough. They're built to be a 3-2 team and rely on their top line and PP to generate pretty much all their offense, so it's pretty deflating to see the PK and goaltending be subpar.
You nailed it. Without stellar goaltending and special teams Flames aren’t going anywhere in the playoffs.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:31 AM   #270
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Coleman scored some highlight reel goals in the playoffs for the Lightning so I assumed he had better finish than he does. After seeing him for half a season it appears he's a guy that doesn't have great hands and needs a high volume of chances to yield his goals.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:38 AM   #271
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I honestly see a game where four seeing eye pucks got past a big goaltender through traffic.

Happens.

I want Markstrom to be the better goalie in a matchup too, but Koskinen had three pucks go through him but not in, Markstrom had four seeing eye pucks go by him.

Just a bounce night.
Seems like the Flames have a lot of "bad bounce" nights against the Pacific Division... luckily they don't play too many games in that division...
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:48 AM   #272
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtin_albertan View Post
Flames and Packers fan here. Epic bed wetting by both teams tonight. Super fun.
Oilers and Packers fan, Rodgers hater here. Two of three ain’t bad (Meatloaf reference).
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:20 AM   #273
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He has one goal, one assist and is minus 4 in his last 11 games. And if you look at the game log, he gets 2 shots many games, although he has two 5 shot games and a zero shot game in that span. He is losing the puck a lot and of course he falls down regularly.

Is he a 20-25 goal scorer who gets streaky hot sometimes or can he become a reliable producer who can give you a big goal when you need it? He sure could use another offensive threat to play with.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 11:31 AM   #274
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are Mangiapane’s fancy stat metrics still positive? I’m not surprised to see him cool off but as long as he’s still doing the little things and making an impact, the points will come I’m sure.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:35 AM   #275
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

The advanced stats and the eye test supported each other last night, Flames dominated but the Oilers got lucky. On to the next one.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:40 AM   #276
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't think Koskinen looked very good last night. He looked like a fish out of water. How many times was he laying flat hoping that the puck was under him? He was credited with a lot of saves but the Flames don't really have much in the way of snipers or players who are known for finishing around the net.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:42 AM   #277
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the idea of having a high end defensive player on each line. Lindholm on the first, Coleman on the second and Backlund o the third.

Move Monahan up to the second.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:42 AM   #278
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Hold them accountable for drastically out playing the Oilers and not getting the bounces to win?

Get out the torches!
Go back the entire season and count how many times this same narrative had been said… LOL.

There’s no way you can tell me based on how they played last night they deserved to win. Sloppy, no secondary scoring, weak power play and suspect goaltending on 2 of the 4 goals.

Some value the advance stats/metrics way too much, this team is once again a mid tier mediocre team about to lose its star forward to UFA. I can’t get on board with the “just keep playing like this” train because nothings changing.

There’s something to be said about a team who can’t finish… ever.

Last edited by Royle9; 01-23-2022 at 11:50 AM.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:49 AM   #279
TheChief
Scoring Winger

Exp:

At the end of the day yes, the Flames have drastically outplayed the Oilers in both the losses. But the fact is they have 0 points to show for it and really that's the only metric that truly matters.
TheChief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheChief For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 11:52 AM   #280
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Coleman scored some highlight reel goals in the playoffs for the Lightning so I assumed he had better finish than he does. After seeing him for half a season it appears he's a guy that doesn't have great hands and needs a high volume of chances to yield his goals.
Yeah, it’s misleading to look at his highlights, even from a more steady diet in the POs. He’s made some plays, including last night, that could have been highlight reel goals except he then skated himself behind the net. I mean, Lewis has scored a sweet hands goal this year but it was an obvious anomaly. I think you’re right, over a couple weeks Coleman makes 10-15 plays that start great, one of which ends up in the net and on a video clip. Nothing wrong with that, as long as he’s not hurting the team, but he’s not an offensive threat.