Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #41
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
MODS you are removing the vids from the original posts but when posts are quoted the vids are still in there. Might wanna fix those up.
That is what the report button is for.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #42
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskflames69 View Post
The reason the Budd Dwyer video doesn't freak me out is because a few years ago we found half of a frozen body in an ice fishing tent.

The rest was strewn around the tent and in the stomachs of a few wolves.

If you can think of anything that would be more horrid than that, please share.

Are we having a contest, cause, how about cleaning up a shot up mini van with 6 dead bodies that had been siting in the hot sun for a few hours, or how about a half dead women walking around covered in maggots. Here flesh was rotting off her body and she was asking to be killed.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #43
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that settles it for me, most of the people on CP have mental issues.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #44
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Well that settles it for me, most of the people on CP have mental issues.
expand please?

Quote:
Old 10-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #45
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
expand please?
Watching videos of people killing themselves and not having any issue with it, and a contest for who has seen the most disturbing thing.

No offense, but even though yours is work related if that stuff doesn't effect you then don't you think something is not quite right?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #46
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Watching videos of people killing themselves and not having any issue with it, and a contest for who has seen the most disturbing thing.

No offense, but even though yours is work related if that stuff doesn't effect you then don't you think something is not quite right?
Where did I say it did not effect me?

It effected me deeply, and I still battle with my anger towards a nation of people as a result. Those are but two instances, there are more, and not all involved the "blood and guts". I spoke to an individual and both houses on either side of them were burnt to the ground. I asked why, and he said because of their nationality. I asked if they were new neighbours, and he said no, been there for years and years, but now they were "enemy". That mental state upset me more.

Look at my previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
So let me see.....a nipple during Super Bowel is unacceptable, but dude capping himself is OK?

These types of things do not need to be seen. I have seen more than enough dead people in flesh and blood, and I still find those videos disturbing. FYI, film and video game violence is not the same, thank goodness.

Sad sad sad, all the way around.

Quote:
Old 10-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #47
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
I can't believe you guys have become desensitized to real life tragedies from watching movies and video games. How does that work?

I've seen some really gory, violent stuff in movies and video games, but that doesn't desensitize me at all to real people losing their lives on video. Seriously, that's weird, guys.
I think we've had this exact conversation before...totally getting some deja vu here.

The Dwyer video, for whatever reason, doesn't disturb me that much. That's not to say I watch it for fun, I've only ever seen it twice I think, but it doesn't make me get that knot in my stomach and keep me up at night.

The thing is, I never watch internet gross out videos. Never seen 2 girls 1 cup, never seen 2 guys 1 horse (I heard muffled sounds from the video from the next room when some people I know watched it and that still bothers me), never seen any of those other effed up things be it gross out or violent deaths that bother people.

But I would never attribute my sensitivity (or desensitivity) to movies or video games. I don't know. Maybe it is because the Dwyer video is self inflicted and he was obviously troubled with being partially framed and all. I've even seen still photographs of car accidents that really bothered me.

Anyway, that's all OT and has nothing to do with this topic.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #48
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I remember years ago, one of my friends in University saying "hey dude, I gotta show you guys something." He got maybe 12 of us to all sit around his laptop and he proceeded to show us the Dwyer video without warning us what it was. Man that totally messed me up for a few days. I'm not sure how someone can watch that and think nothing of it.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #49
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ultimately, I think the issue is choice.

FOX news was wrong to air it, no doubt in my mind because I doubt most people were expecting it and they werent given the choice to look away.

Right now if I wanted to go and watch that video a quick trip to Google, a couple choice words and voila! But that would be me actively seeking out a video that I want to watch, fully knowing what I'm getting into and what content is expected.

Showing that on the news, not so much. As has been previously pointed out, if it was an 'accident' then whats the point of the 5 second delay?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #50
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

By the looks of that video they put themselves on a 5 second delay while airing the live feed
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #51
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
By the looks of that video they put themselves on a 5 second delay while airing the live feed
That's what it looked like to me. They put a 5 second delay in place, then failed to cut off the video in time.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #52
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
That's what it looked like to me. They put a 5 second delay in place, then failed to cut off the video in time.
That's what happened. Apparently, their general MO is to stay live while filming the actual chase itself (I guess live car crashes are ok to show on tv?) and then when the vehicle stops and/or the person gets out, go to a 5 second delay.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote