Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-23-2022, 02:08 PM   #301
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Do you think the team deserves better than 17th overall?
Well they're 14th overall right now, so yeah!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 02:30 PM   #302
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Overall standings are also irrelevant...Flames deserve to be 2nd in the Pacific so far.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:34 PM   #303
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's starting to become very alarming to me that Markstrom regularly craps the bed in-division. I dunno what it is about the Pacific but the only strong game he's had against a Pacific opponent was against the Kings.... below .900 in every other game. Well except for San Jose but he let in a backbreaker seconds prior to the 2nd intermission.

Really needs to get his head screwed on right against in-division games because they'll be piling on fast and furious in spring, 4-pt games we cannot be dropping repeatedly.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:43 PM   #304
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Well except for San Jose but he let in a backbreaker seconds prior to the 2nd intermission.
I think you're thinking of the wrong game. Vladar played the game where they were up 3-1 and he in let in the go ahead goal with 1:50 left in the second.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:47 PM   #305
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
IMO Sutter hockey is winning hockey, in general. But it’s going to come with it’s fair share of times when you get one “should have had it” goal or one blown coverage to turn a 3-2 win into a 4-3 loss.

I guess the question is whether we and they want a team that wins by playing solid hockey or by hoping the other team misses a chance or a save.
Well said, I agree.

And that's why adding one reliable scoring piece could make a huge difference with this team and its system
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 02:53 PM   #306
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think the Flames should jump on JT Miller.

Is he playing center or wing in VAN?

I don't think the price would be outlandish and adding a PPG producer that was a consistent producer on an inept offensive team could be a difference maker in all these tight games
Old 01-23-2022, 02:55 PM   #307
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Time to bump Monahan back up to the 2nd line, he’s looking a lot better. If he’s “back”, that move alone could change the entire dynamic of the forward group.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:16 PM   #308
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I think the Flames should jump on JT Miller.

Is he playing center or wing in VAN?

I don't think the price would be outlandish and adding a PPG producer that was a consistent producer on an inept offensive team could be a difference maker in all these tight games
I think the price would be outlandish. Non-rental and in division? Flames pay a premium over the rumored Rangers, or any other eastern team that is in the bidding.

I agree he would be a great add and I believe is buddies with Gaudreau. Hates to lose
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 03:18 PM   #309
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not criticizing the team or the effort. Deserved/undeserved - whatever.
This game though pretty much condenses the Flames fan experience over 30+ years into 70 minutes.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:21 PM   #310
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Not criticizing the team or the effort. Deserved/undeserved - whatever.
This game though pretty much condenses the Flames fan experience over 30+ years into 70 minutes.
Yep.

Thats how fast this team can transform optimism into crushing misery.

Once it was 2-2 it was over.

Game over man....game over.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:25 PM   #311
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames owned the Oilers for a decade went 8-0 one year...to say it's been like this for 30+ years isn't exactly accurate

Flames still have a lead head to head all time
Old 01-23-2022, 03:26 PM   #312
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
The Flames owned the Oilers for a decade went 8-0 one year...to say it's been like this for 30+ years isn't exactly accurate

I think you're being too specific to the teams. I know what Vlad was saying, it isnt just about the Oilers, its about the fact that the Flames have a tendency to sucker you in and everything looks like its going well and then all of a sudden....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:33 PM   #313
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I think you're being too specific to the teams. I know what Vlad was saying, it isnt just about the Oilers, its about the fact that the Flames have a tendency to sucker you in and everything looks like its going well and then all of a sudden....
Like the game against the Jets and the last game against the Sharks. It's extremely annoying. They have to go ahead by probably four goals and be in the 3rd before I start feeling comfortable that they won't let the other team back in and blow it.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:57 PM   #314
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Don't you guys think part of this is just being a hockey fan and that if we cruised similar web sites around the league you'd see similar comments from 23 of the 32 fan bases?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 04:13 PM   #315
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

Yup the BoA overall still belongs to the Flames, and the margin isn't that slim either.

Its too bad the two doinks up there are in the Flames heads.

We back off and give them too much respect. Prime example the Draisaitl tally.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:57 PM   #316
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Don't you guys think part of this is just being a hockey fan and that if we cruised similar web sites around the league you'd see similar comments from 23 of the 32 fan bases?
I don't see 23 franchises being as poor as the flames over the past 30 years. I cant see that many teams only passing the first round twice in 30 years.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:19 PM   #317
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmile04 View Post
I don't see 23 franchises being as poor as the flames over the past 30 years. I cant see that many teams only passing the first round twice in 30 years.
Hows the mighty Florida's playoff history been? Good portion of teams in this league have crappy playoff periods in their history.

Last edited by calgaryred; 01-23-2022 at 06:23 PM.
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:33 PM   #318
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
23 of 32 teams don't have the history of utter mediocrity that the Flames have. 1 playoff series win in 18 years, and every season they follow the exact same damn formula. Go on a run in Nov-Dec to make you think they have a shot, stagnate in the new year but still win enough to give you hope, completely #### the bed post all-star break, then start winning games in March-April after they're already out of it to make sure that 1st round draft pick isn't anything to look forward to

The only other teams I can think of that have given their fans so little to cheer about in that timeframe are Minnesota, Buffalo, Ottawa, Arizona, and of course Edmonton. Maybe Florida too, but they appear to have finally turned a corner. It just gets depressing watching so many other organizations commit to full rebuilds and come out the other end with playoff caliber teams while the Flames just spin their wheels year after year
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 06:54 PM   #319
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
23 of 32 teams don't have the history of utter mediocrity that the Flames have. 1 playoff series win in 18 years, and every season they follow the exact same damn formula. Go on a run in Nov-Dec to make you think they have a shot, stagnate in the new year but still win enough to give you hope, completely #### the bed post all-star break, then start winning games in March-April after they're already out of it to make sure that 1st round draft pick isn't anything to look forward to

The only other teams I can think of that have given their fans so little to cheer about in that timeframe are Minnesota, Buffalo, Ottawa, Arizona, and of course Edmonton. Maybe Florida too, but they appear to have finally turned a corner. It just gets depressing watching so many other organizations commit to full rebuilds and come out the other end with playoff caliber teams while the Flames just spin their wheels year after year
So franchises that just miss the playoffs all the time and win the odd first round every couple of years are better than the Flames? Columbus, Atlanta/Winnipeg, Winnipeg/Phoenix - Arizona, Kansas City/Colorado/New Jersey, Minnesota, Edmonton, Vancouver, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Boston, Rangers, Hartford/Carolina, Los Angeles, Washington, Toronto, Florida, Tampa Bay those teams just off the top of my head have had some pretty rough playoff history.

Sent from my SM-A105M using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:56 PM   #320
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I fail to see what the team 29 years ago has to do with whether the present team is constructed well or not.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post: