Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #81
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The design is definitely theirs

I think James probly does some of the building as well, I doubt Jeremy or Richard do

They are more about the driving experience with cars than the mechanics of them
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:03 AM   #82
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I just watched Top Gear USA.

Oh man, I was cringing at how horrible it was. The beauty of the original Top Gear is the chemistry of the hosts, not how flashy all the cars and HD camera work is. The hosts are 3 ordinary guys but they all quite different in terms of personalities, appearance, eccentricities, and they all are always teasing and making fun of each other.

This show is just plain generic and bland. The worst hosts I can imagine are hosting the show. They are stiff, not a single one of them has any personality, and they are all cookie-cutter cut-outs of the same young guy pretty much. There is no differentiation and it's just awful. They are all harmless and opinionless and full of fake smiles and just a bunch of young dudes doing the generic TV host thing.

This show needs it's controversial, highly opinionated Clarkson-esque journalist/comedian that still commands respect but is also incredibly funny and baffoonish with the proper car pedigree (maybe a guy like Jay Leno). Then you need the elder-stateman (like James May's character) and then you have the youngish guy with nice teeth. Not 3 youngish guys with nice teeth like this show has.

http://jalopnik.com/5694780/first-drive-top-gear-usa

This article seem to indicate their wooden chemistry and the fun improves though in eps 2 and 3 so hopefully it will.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-22-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #83
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I looked for this in Shaw's lineup (including History channel), and couldn't find it anywhere...
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #84
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Top Gears christmas special this year will be a trip to Bethlehem via Iraq and Jordan.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #85
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I looked for this in Shaw's lineup (including History channel), and couldn't find it anywhere...
That's because we get History Channel Canada, the real History Channel's mildly ######ed cousin.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #86
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Top Gears christmas special this year will be a trip to Bethlehem via Iraq and Jordan.
Then how can there be a new series? They'd surely be dead after a trip like that with Clarkson aboard.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #87
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Then how can there be a new series? They'd surely be dead after a trip like that with Clarkson aboard.
Could you imagine if they wrote on each other's cars like they did in the southern U.S. road trip, they would all be dead for sure.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #88
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I just watched Top Gear USA.

Oh man, I was cringing at how horrible it was. The beauty of the original Top Gear is the chemistry of the hosts, not how flashy all the cars and HD camera work is. The hosts are 3 ordinary guys but they all quite different in terms of personalities, appearance, eccentricities, and they all are always teasing and making fun of each other.

This show is just plain generic and bland. The worst hosts I can imagine are hosting the show. They are stiff, not a single one of them has any personality, and they are all cookie-cutter cut-outs of the same young guy pretty much. There is no differentiation and it's just awful. They are all harmless and opinionless and full of fake smiles and just a bunch of young dudes doing the generic TV host thing.

This show needs it's controversial, highly opinionated Clarkson-esque journalist/comedian that still commands respect but is also incredibly funny and baffoonish with the proper car pedigree (maybe a guy like Jay Leno). Then you need the elder-stateman (like James May's character) and then you have the youngish guy with nice teeth. Not 3 youngish guys with nice teeth like this show has.

http://jalopnik.com/5694780/first-drive-top-gear-usa

This article seem to indicate their wooden chemistry and the fun improves though in eps 2 and 3 so hopefully it will.
To be fair, the first series of UK Top Gear was horrible and no one watched it. Even the next few series weren't as that good.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:15 AM   #89
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

After watching the first episode I'd say it was better than I expected. The camera work is as good as ever and the segments were fun.

The chemistry between the host was pretty bad, I'll agree, almost atrocious. But if it improves I think it'll be a decent show.

I am disappointed they have "Big star, small car" still, which is just a waste of time IMO especially considering the ep's are only 42 minutes long.

If Tanner Faust didn't act like a tool, I think he'd make a good "primary host". Rather than acting fake, he needs to act like an ass, like Jeremy.

We'll see how it ends up after the first 10 episodes.

If Top Gear Australia can get 3 seasons, I don't see why Top Gear US can't.

I hope things turn out good for this show as 2 Top Gears is better than 1 Top Gear, it all depends on if the hosts actually hang out together off camera.

Last edited by 3 Justin 3; 11-23-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:54 AM   #90
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
The camera work is as good as ever.
Really? Because I thought moments like the in-car shots of Faust in the Viper with the extreme camera shake were pretty amateur looking. They couldn't even get a proper stabilizer?

The lack of music also made it seem like a bit of a dud (although I assume that's to the US's crazy expensive licensing laws).

Overall, they seem like nice guys....just not very interesting to watch and listen to. Adam Farrera seemed to be the one who was most comfortable with himself and had some good moments....but for the most part all 3 guys seemed to try REALLY hard, and it came across as desperate. It felt like riding a horse....a horse that didn't want to be ridden.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #91
chid
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

These guys on Top Gear USA are ridiculous, I couldn't even watch it. Firstly, the UK version - the guys have driven TONS of cars, they have some context. These doofus' were just awkward to watch, the contrived dialogue between them, the intro to their stig, and what the heck was with them cringing during that drag race!?
chid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #92
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
This show needs it's controversial, highly opinionated Clarkson-esque journalist/comedian that still commands respect but is also incredibly funny and baffoonish with the proper car pedigree (maybe a guy like Jay Leno)..
Controversial, highly opinionated, journalist? None of those things describe Jay Leno.

Besides that I do agree, the hosts make Top Gear, and unless the American version finds hosts people like and can relate to, it will fail.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #93
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

ya I didn't like it at all

it was basically 3 random guys doing a show, with Jeremy, Richard, and James you can tell they are legitimately friends and it's just entertaining to watch them interact. The fact that it's a show about cars just adds to that
Old 11-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #94
TylerSVT
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Top gear wouldnt be Top gear without Jeremy Clarkson. Seriously he makes the show. Everyone else can be replaced except him IMO.
TylerSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #95
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Controversial, highly opinionated, journalist? None of those things describe Jay Leno.

Besides that I do agree, the hosts make Top Gear, and unless the American version finds hosts people like and can relate to, it will fail.
Incredibly funny comedian should not be used to describe him either unless you are from the eighties.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #96
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Top gear wouldnt be Top gear without Jeremy Clarkson. Seriously he makes the show. Everyone else can be replaced except him IMO.
While Clarkson is obviously important to the success of the show, he couldn't be who he is without the give and take he has with Hammond and May. They three hosts really do make a fantastic team, I think if you try to replace May or Hammond it wouldn't work.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #97
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

ya I think Jeremy is more important than the rest, but to even replace James or Richard with someone else would completely change they dynamic they have and I don't know if it would work

some stuff would, but I think the trips and challenges would be a lot different
Old 11-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #98
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

They need to get back to being 3 mates who love cars and want to share that love through the tv show. Like May stated in the 60 minute segment, it recently has felt as though they are being written to play the characters whom they already are.

Hopefully the special and the new series will be better. Series 15 started to feel like proper top gear again.

All the presenters are just as important as Clarkson. If you watch some of the videos that Clarkson does outside of Top Gear, it doesn't have the feel.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #99
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
They need to get back to being 3 mates who love cars and want to share that love through the tv show. Like May stated in the 60 minute segment, it recently has felt as though they are being written to play the characters whom they already are.

Hopefully the special and the new series will be better. Series 15 started to feel like proper top gear again.

All the presenters are just as important as Clarkson. If you watch some of the videos that Clarkson does outside of Top Gear, it doesn't have the feel.
Or just watch series one, and see that it isn't the same with Jason Dawe. Even though the show truly hit gold with series 4 imo, the addition of James May made it instantly much better...I mean even his introduction "and since this is a new series, we've decided to try a new presenter. His name is James May, and by evidence of what you're about to see, he's a blithering idiot!" then May intros the segment and says "of course you'd have to be an idiot to spend that money on a used Bentley...here's mine"
Old 11-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #100
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ferrara is ok as a presenter, Faust is wooden as all hell but at least he has car knowledge. I don't know who the hell this Rutledge character is though.

December can't come soon enough, wouldn't be Christmas without Top Gear.

I hope I get a pork sword for Christmas!