Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #41
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think I may not ever switch to an ipone if bing takes over google. I hate bing but love google as im sure you can tell
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #42
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
I think I may not ever switch to an ipone if bing takes over google. I hate bing but love google as im sure you can tell
It would just be the default search engine, you would still be able to set it in the preferences (like how you can switch to yahoo currently).

I hate that apple and google are butting heads.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #43
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
For someone who already owns a macbook and an iphone (like me), what could this new tablet really provide in terms of functionality? I dont think I have a real interest in another device. The iphone update I am very excited about though. Great device.
Quite a few rumors indicate this will be similar to a touch with an Amazon style whispernet network - Verizon? for downloading music movies etc. You would pay a slight download premium to use the cell network to download your content.

I think that makes the most sense. That way you can get iphone users to use the tablet to download larger files there by helping out at&t network issues.

I am definatly interested. My price point on this device is no where over $850 - I hope the 999 rumors are bogus - please 799 - please...
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #44
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
I wish they would make Mobile me syncing free for iCal and Contacts. I don't need the find my phone stuff, or online HD space.
Google is the answer for this. Google's exchange facade for contacts & calendar literally changed my life.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #45
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Amazon responds:

Quote:
The New York Times reported late last night that Amazon is deploying a software development kit (SDK) to allow developers to bring applications to the company's Kindle e-book reader. The move follows a change in the Kindle Store's e-book royalty program, with the two events suggesting that Amazon is making a major push to tackle Apple's as-yet-unreleased tablet device head-on.
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/21/...pps-to-kindle/

It's interesting how much fear and reaction a simple little thing like an upcomming announcement from Apple can bring...
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #46
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

There is some really good tablet discussion on this weeks MacBreak Weekly podcast (episode 127 iTunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...3&id=179237749)

Each week these guys have me go from hardly interested to overly interested. This week has me thinking of it positively.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #47
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

+1 to macbreak

I see this more multimedia not so much ebook.

I figured the advantage to the kindle was that it was e-ink and not as hard on the eys for reading as on OLED screen would be.

Although if apple gets into something they will likely dominate it.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #48
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Possible rendering?

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/21/...ration-iphone/
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #49
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
That is pretty damn cool looking.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #50
anyonebutedmonton
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I would buy that... It looks like it is running some sort of version of OSX. Unfortunately all the rumours are that this device will be an upgraded iPhone OS, rather than an OSX derivation.
anyonebutedmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #51
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyonebutedmonton View Post
I would buy that... It looks like it is running some sort of version of OSX. Unfortunately all the rumours are that this device will be an upgraded iPhone OS, rather than an OSX derivation.
That's just somebody's Photoshop job. Engadget says that a knowledgeable source says it's "close".
Old 01-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #52
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it would be OSX based with something like an iphone app emulator so you can still use iphone apps. The OSX platform just allows for so much more.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #53
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
I think it would be OSX based with something like an iphone app emulator so you can still use iphone apps. The OSX platform just allows for so much more.
iPhone OS is OS X.

They would figure out a way to scale the interface without having to emulate or simulate like in X Code.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #54
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
iPhone OS is OS X.

They would figure out a way to scale the interface without having to emulate or simulate like in X Code.
iPhone apps aren't emulated or simulated - they are natively compiled for x86 for testing on Mac's.

Pretty neat eh? There is very, very little that would hinder Apple from making the iPhone libraries a standard part of Mac OS X, if they wanted you to run iPhone apps on the desktop.

That said, there is zero chance the tablet runs full blown OS X. There is no way they can manage the power budget OS X would need while keeping the tablet as thin as they (Jobs) no doubt requires. And even though OS X doesn't need as much maintenance as Windows, its is unacceptable for the tablet to need any OS maintenance. You won't be deleting plist files on a tablet from Apple!

But the reverse possibility is lurking right there in front of us - that those rich media savvy Tablet apps will run natively on your desktop too!
Old 01-21-2010, 11:32 PM   #55
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

3G coming with it?

Quote:
Fox News reports that Apple is in last minute negotiations with both AT&T and Verizon to provide wireless service for their upcoming tablet device. Support for both networks suggests that Apple will be producing two versions of the device to support the different wireless standards:
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/21/...t-and-verizon/
Old 01-22-2010, 09:54 AM   #56
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Special thanks to Kermitology for bringing this to my attention:

Old 01-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #57
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Despite conflicting reports, we have reason to believe that the upcoming Apple Tablet will indeed carry a front facing video camera as recently described in the Wall Street Journal:

This person said Apple has experimented with the ability ... for the gadget to automatically recognize individuals via a built-in camera.

While the presence of a front facing camera could allow for this novel use of facial recognition, it would also open up the possibility for video conferencing, which has been a long requested feature for the iPhone.
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/22/...facing-camera/
Old 01-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #58
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

It probably will lead to unicorns dancing in the streets. Seriously, the Apple Hype Machine is in overdrive for this one. I just want the announcement to come.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #59
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I haven't really seen any hype yet, in fact most people I've talked to are thinking this is going to fail.

Of course there is a lot of speculation about what it's going to do and look like, but that's a pretty normal thing. It's certainly not hype.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #60
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What "Apple Hype Machine"? Apple has said "there is an announcement coming and we are giving you no details" and world goes bonkers. How about we just wait for the announcement before pronouncing win/fail?

BTW - go back to the very first thread here on the iPhone and there were plenty of people claiming the iPhone would be a failure because of a touch screen that would get scratched or dirty, or that a phone that could play MP3s was no great improvement, or that the price was too high....
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote