Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #1261
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
Some sort of anti-Trudeau / Notley protest is underway in Leduc with oilfield vehicles. It started with a defined route through Leduc but has grown and is now blocking entry to the QEII north and snarling traffic. Reports of fist-fights and threats, etc. People be gettin' more perturbed.

Traffic snarls are going to happen with 1000 vehicles. But none of the news sites reported any first fights, violence or threats, so I'd be interested in seeing the source of a report of fist-fights etc.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #1262
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

the media reports via global news had the convoy at close to 22 km and well received.

i've seen zero reports about violence or threatened violence towards anyone, let alone the convoy.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:25 PM   #1263
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Traffic snarls are going to happen with 1000 vehicles. But none of the news sites reported any first fights, violence or threats, so I'd be interested in seeing the source of a report of fist-fights etc.
Probably some Tides funded activists making up lies.

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:44 PM   #1264
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
the media reports via global news had the convoy at close to 22 km and well received.

i've seen zero reports about violence or threatened violence towards anyone, let alone the convoy.
.... Except for the people caught in the convoy. I can't imagine how many people are thrilled trying to get home or trying to catch a flight this evening
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #1265
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Sounds like it’s closer to 500 vehicles. An employee’s SO (non-participant, trying to get his dog to the vet) was somewhere in the convoy and witnessed an altercation and a bunch of people yelling back and forth. Sounds like small potatoes but there’s a fair amount of annoyed commuters according to the radio but others callers are also commenting on the worthiness of the cause and to be patient in the road.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #1266
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

It appears you are correct

here is an updated story from Global

https://globalnews.ca/news/4779469/p...monton-henday/
Old 12-19-2018, 06:26 PM   #1267
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the goal of this convoy? Someone touched on it in another thread but it would make a lot more sense to do demonstrations like this in the provinces that are opposing the pipeline(s) and on parliament hill. I just don’t get how blocking one of our own highways, a North-south one at that, is going to convince the rest of the country to support us. Does anyone know who actually organized this event? If it was organized for nothing more than a photo op for Scheer and the federal conservatives, the joke is on us.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:20 PM   #1268
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it's awesome that we as Albertans are standing up to be heard. These kinds of protest are doing exactly what they're designed to do. bring national attention to a problem that's plagued our province for years and getting worse due to ineffective governments on multiple levels.
People complaining about traffic delays are apparently too self absorbed to see the forest fire through the trees in their own yard. what they fail to realise is that fire is going to hit them eventually if noting is done.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #1269
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Right, we should all get our information from groups like Shaping Alberta’s Future.

I’m not going to defend progress Alberta’s decision to accept money from tides as I’m not affiliated with their organization, but I will say that given the Alberta NDP’s stance on our O&G industry, tides are likely feeling buyers remorse on that contribution from 2016.
Only quoting one of your messages on the last page because I am basically lazy. But here are my random thoughts pertaining to same;

- You must be a union leader, union rep or work for the NDP. It's not overly relevant, but I can only surmise this based on your posting history (not just in this thread). If so that's great and I welcome your opposing viewpoint and perspective! Honestly there are many people on this site that get upset to read opinions that are different from their own. How boring would this site / world be if all you did was hop into this website or talk to people that only held your exact worldview? This is how we learn, grow or reinforce our already formed opinions.

- Since I have never seen anybody (literally) take such a hard opinionated stance on unions, you seem unaware of how you come across. Sometimes I am guilty of this too. I think everybody is. But you seem surprised that people make sarcastic jabs at you or others for engaging you, and I wonder if you should wonder why? Do you think ALL of them are wrong?

- If you are connected to a union, I'll presume you are set to get some kind of pension. I hope to Christ that isn't an Alberta pension, for your sake, the way things are going. One of the reasons I think Notley has been so supportive of the energy industry as of late is because she sees the writing on the wall from a financial and economic standpoint. And let me tell you, it isn't pretty. I tell my lefty friends all the time, I work at the front end of this #### sandwich, and it ain't pretty. My friends reply all the time about how I am overreacting, and I feel I actually try to be as reasoned, measured and balanced as possible. It is hard though, being in my profession and working in my shoes. Nonetheless, very clearly Notley gets it, or is starting to get it and you can see in her behaviour the transformation and approach to the feds. All Kenney is doing is politically taking advantage of the absolute rage from Albertans that has festered and grown to the point it is today. He is taking advantage politically of nothing more than pure emotion and anger. And that's what smart politicians do, regardless of how 'real' those emotions are, or can even be acted upon. I read that platform from Kenney as a response to back the Alberta oilpatch and I feel, #### ya! Screw all those idiots! But when I sit back and think about them, I wonder how real or meaningful those are, or what any of them actually mean?

Nonetheless I personally value my home, lifestyle, family and future (hopefully) ability to retire. So should you. You should be making decisions based on your (presumably generous if you're in Alberta) pension plan. You should be 1,000,000% the Alberta oilpatch today. And if a guy like Kenney gets in, you might actually find that financially you benefit more. Now that may not be what you value the most, and I respect that, but I think you should respect others for feeling differently as well.

Lastly, and unrelated but in closing, people that have accepted money from Tides should be in jail and are treasonous scumbags. I believe one of them is special advisor to the Prime Minister too. Weird how Trudeau would be so naive to be duped into this fence-sitting leadership when on the one hand he has economic experts telling him he probably shouldn't melt down the province that has delivered him money for the past decade while on the other hand listening to Mr.Tides-Special-Advisor-Environmental-Crackpot-That-Should-be-in-Prison-Gerald-Butts.

Also pps... don't get chased away by the weak, as Psycnet put it. There are people that should give their opinions, and weirdly you're one of them. Don't be one of those guys that gets chased away via hostility like Cliff, moon, Peter12 or so many others. This site needs to be more accommodating, everybody here included. It's what made it great in the first place.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2018, 08:44 PM   #1270
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
What is the goal of this convoy? Someone touched on it in another thread but it would make a lot more sense to do demonstrations like this in the provinces that are opposing the pipeline(s) and on parliament hill. I just don’t get how blocking one of our own highways, a North-south one at that, is going to convince the rest of the country to support us. Does anyone know who actually organized this event? If it was organized for nothing more than a photo op for Scheer and the federal conservatives, the joke is on us.
Well, the goal of the convoy was to bring attention to the plight of the oil and gas industry in Alberta lol. Running a convoy of a thousand trucks across one of the largest countries on the planet would be impractical obviously, especially when the organizers cleared with local law enforcement. What don't you get?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2018, 09:03 PM   #1271
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Why don't you pretend it was a convoy of unionized postal trucks. Do you get it now?
Old 12-19-2018, 09:18 PM   #1272
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What if it was a convoy of natives idling no more?

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...highlight=Idle

Last edited by Flash Walken; 12-19-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:34 PM   #1273
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thinking blocking the Trans Canada with oil trucks would be a useful protest that shows the advantage of pipelines. 1000 trucks a day would move about 200,000 bbls of oil while blocking the TransCanada highway and slowing commerce to a crawl. Cost would be pretty expensive though.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2018, 11:13 PM   #1274
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

Who cares?

Note: not reading some old thread. Knowing full well your history.

Last edited by Weitz; 12-19-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:19 PM   #1275
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I thinking blocking the Trans Canada with oil trucks would be a useful protest that shows the advantage of pipelines. 1000 trucks a day would move about 200,000 bbls of oil while blocking the TransCanada highway and slowing commerce to a crawl. Cost would be pretty expensive though.
I'd pitch in a crowd fund for that for sure.

"Hey BC remember when you blocked a pipeline that would silently invisibly and efficiently transport oil? Well good luck driving back to Van from the interior because it's clogged with inefficient and extremely visible trucks. This is what you wanted, or is it possible that you didn't think your position through very clearly?"
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:50 PM   #1276
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Since I have never seen anybody (literally) take such a hard opinionated stance on unions, you seem unaware of how you come across.
Thanks but I’m not overly worried about how I come across. Appreciate your concern though

Quote:
Sometimes I am guilty of this too. I think everybody is. But you seem surprised that people make sarcastic jabs at you or others for engaging you, and I wonder if you should wonder why? Do you think ALL of them are wrong?
I’ve been around here long enough to not be surprised by sarcastic posts and I’m not sure how you’re interpreting me as surprised by them. Whether those kinds of posts are directed at myself or others, when they are of a condescending nature I really just don’t see the need for them when having a conversation. Especially when it’s just a useless drive by critizing the poster instead of the actual content of their post.

Quote:
All Kenney is doing is politically taking advantage of the absolute rage from Albertans that has festered and grown to the point it is today. He is taking advantage politically of nothing more than pure emotion and anger. And that's what smart politicians do, regardless of how 'real' those emotions are, or can even be acted upon.
People rarely make good decisions when they are angry. It’s concerning to me that Kenney seems more focused on getting people riled up than actually planning for Alberta’s future. When I consider his history and the history of some(but not all) of his party’s candidates I’m not confident that the best interests of the majority of Albertans is the main priority of the UCP.

Quote:
I read that platform from Kenney as a response to back the Alberta oilpatch and I feel, #### ya! Screw all those idiots! But when I sit back and think about them, I wonder how real or meaningful those are, or what any of them actually mean?
Nothing in Kenney’s platform really struck me as anything that would produce any major results, and frankly some of it is promises that, if elected, he still wouldn’t be in a position to deliver on without support at the federal level.

Quote:
Nonetheless I personally value my home, lifestyle, family and future (hopefully) ability to retire. So should you. You should be making decisions based on your (presumably generous if you're in Alberta) pension plan. You should be 1,000,000% the Alberta oilpatch today. And if a guy like Kenney gets in, you might actually find that financially you benefit more. Now that may not be what you value the most, and I respect that, but I think you should respect others for feeling differently as well.
I support the industry and these pipelines getting built. I don’t think Kenney gets this pipeline built quicker than Notley, and if the liberals get another majority in the next federal election I think Kenney actually puts us further behind on that file.

Quote:
Also pps... don't get chased away by the weak, as Psycnet put it.
I hope you didn’t get a lot of angry messages flooding your inbox from the usual suspects for posting that.

Quote:
There are people that should give their opinions, and weirdly you're one of them. Don't be one of those guys that gets chased away via hostility like Cliff, moon, Peter12 or so many others. This site needs to be more accommodating, everybody here included. It's what made it great in the first place.
If nothing else I guess I’m relieved to know that I somehow managed to weirdly pass the test and am considered worthy enough to share my opinions with others. I agree this site needs to be more accommodating, but I also think it has come a long way overall. We just need more posters to continue choosing to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:30 AM   #1277
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Well, the goal of the convoy was to bring attention to the plight of the oil and gas industry in Alberta lol. Running a convoy of a thousand trucks across one of the largest countries on the planet would be impractical obviously, especially when the organizers cleared with local law enforcement. What don't you get?
I just don’t see how blocking a highway being used mainly by albertans is going to help. A large rally would have attracted the same amount of attention nationally. I mean what message are we sending to the rest of the country? “Build our pipeline or we’ll punish ourselves”? IMO if we wanted to send a strong message it would have been a better allocation of resources to have organized something like this on highway 1 at the Alberta/ B.C. boarder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Why don't you pretend it was a convoy of unionized postal trucks. Do you get it now?
Nope.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:05 AM   #1278
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Remember when I made a separate thread to discuss Alberta alienation and separation seperately, so this thread could be for more general political discussions in Alberta. And then had people call me out because the topic didn’t merit discussion in its own thread. And because Alberta separation was a half baked idea.

And see how this thread has now basically become the Alberta alienation and separation thread?

Good times at Calgarypuck.

Yeah...good times.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:03 AM   #1279
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Remember when I made a separate thread to discuss Alberta alienation and separation seperately, so this thread could be for more general political discussions in Alberta. And then had people call me out because the topic didn’t merit discussion in its own thread. And because Alberta separation was a half baked idea.

And see how this thread has now basically become the Alberta alienation and separation thread?

Good times at Calgarypuck.

Yeah...good times.
It is a half baked idea that is fraught with stupidity and short-sightedness, nothing has changed.

Happy to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:13 AM   #1280
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

If I remember right it wasn't convoys, they were actively setting up traffic stopping blockades on major highways.

Way different.

Personally I think they're different, the protest yesterday was more akin to a protest march. Traffic was slowed down, but they weren't going out to actively stop people or stop the roads entirely.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: