Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-04-2018, 05:54 PM   #1001
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I can hear the fear mongering now Dion, the NDP will put it in their tv ads between the lines “Job killing carbon tax! And Jason Kenney and his close ally Justin Trudeau!” Oh wait I’m thinking of the wrong ads
Jobs, the economy, massive debt and the carbon tax are going to be the issues most important with Alberta voters. Social issues will be a non factor
Old 12-04-2018, 05:59 PM   #1002
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Don't worry! The Dippers will use this to go fear monger mode against Kenney and his party. It's what the NDP do best.
Is it fear mongering if it's true though? I'm sad to say I'll most likely vote ucp but I'll probably throw up a bit in my mouth as I do. I think the unified conservatives are the worst of both the old pc's and the wildrose. I know the guy in my riding trying to get the seat is a real bible thumper (livingstone macleod). I just can't vote ndp though and, unfortunately, the alberta party is a waste of a vote.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:01 PM   #1003
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jobs, the economy, massive debt and the carbon tax are going to be the issues most important with Alberta voters. Social issues will be a non factor
If that is the case it makes you wonder why so many of kenney’s supporters are so quick to try and downplay his past positons on social issues or sweep them under the rug.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:01 PM   #1004
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
See I guess that's where I find further confusion. I trust someone like Notley a lot more to responsibly handle our economy than another conservative like Kenney. Conservatives have consistently proven to suck at our economy for decades, and now they've figured it out? I think Notleys done a great job so far.

But let's assume for a moment Kenney would be better for the economy and just not disagree there for the sake of discussion. Why do fiscally conservative people always have to be so ####ing backwards and bigoted on social issues? Why do we have to settle for an idiot like Kenney and his Trump style attacks on social media? Can't we have a grown up conservative?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:09 PM   #1005
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Is it fear mongering if it's true though? I'm sad to say I'll most likely vote ucp but I'll probably throw up a bit in my mouth as I do. I think the unified conservatives are the worst of both the old pc's and the wildrose. I know the guy in my riding trying to get the seat is a real bible thumper (livingstone macleod). I just can't vote ndp though and, unfortunately, the alberta party is a waste of a vote.

Parties of all political stripes (even the media) like to bend and distort the truth to fit their political agenda and that includes the UCP. All in an effort to try and score political points with voters.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:12 PM   #1006
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
If that is the case it makes you wonder why so many of kenney’s supporters are so quick to try and downplay his past positons on social issues or sweep them under the rug.
It's no different that the Dippers trying to downplay their previous anti oil and pipeline stance before they got into power. They know the opposition party will distort the truth and use it to their advantage.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:17 PM   #1007
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

So 18 years ago Kenney talked about a law he supported 30 years go?

He would have been 2 years out of high school at that point. Can't wait to see what gets dug up next, I bet he was a real stinker in elementary.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2018, 06:18 PM   #1008
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
See I guess that's where I find further confusion. I trust someone like Notley a lot more to responsibly handle our economy than another conservative like Kenney. Conservatives have consistently proven to suck at our economy for decades, and now they've figured it out? I think Notleys done a great job so far.

But let's assume for a moment Kenney would be better for the economy and just not disagree there for the sake of discussion. Why do fiscally conservative people always have to be so ####ing backwards and bigoted on social issues? Why do we have to settle for an idiot like Kenney and his Trump style attacks on social media? Can't we have a grown up conservative?
I don’t think great is the correct word. Spending is growing at a greater rate than pop growth and inflation. That is not acceptable in a deficit environment. Her Carbon tax spending is terrible policy (I like the concept of the tax but it not being revenue neutral is regressive). And she has no plans to save any of the future oil revenues.

Now we haven’t seen the UCPs approach yet but okay would be the best you can describe her performance. While on the oil portfolio I think she again has done okay. I had hope for her social license concept but Trudeau really screwed her.

She also did a good job increasing revenue streams. Now we need a government to look after the cuts. Notley is not that person.

We are all waiting for the fiscally conservative socially liberal unicorn. Nenshi might be as close as we’ve seen but he certainly moved left from his first term to now.

Last edited by GGG; 12-04-2018 at 06:20 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:38 PM   #1009
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
I just can't vote ndp though and, unfortunately, the alberta party is a waste of a vote.
They will never gain traction if everyone decides this is the way to vote. I wish people would just vote for the party that most closely aligns with their philosophy.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #1010
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. Vote for the party that represents you the most. That way, the party you want to win has the best chance.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:53 PM   #1011
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably because as much as it annoys people a lot, and I mean a lot, of people don’t really care about social issues. They vote with their wallets.

Honestly I’ll almost certainly vote UCP because I feel they will keep the most money in my wallet for my family. The rest is noise.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #1012
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
They will never gain traction if everyone decides this is the way to vote. I wish people would just vote for the party that most closely aligns with their philosophy.
Except that it splits the vote up and then you can have a situation like in BC. In this case its who do I dislike the least.

chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2018, 09:15 PM   #1013
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Except that it splits the vote up and then you can have a situation like in BC. In this case its who do I dislike the least.

People should always vote for the party who aligns best with them, full stop.

Your one vote may not make a difference, but if EVERYONE voted that way, a party like the AP would do very well.

The more people say “well they won’t win, so I can’t vote for them” the more they ruin good parties and let below average parties walk away with elections.

You can’t just count on everyone else to take the risk and make your vote comfortable for you.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2018, 09:20 PM   #1014
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
People should always vote for the party who aligns best with them, full stop.

Your one vote may not make a difference, but if EVERYONE voted that way, a party like the AP would do very well.

The more people say “well they won’t win, so I can’t vote for them” the more they ruin good parties and let below average parties walk away with elections.

You can’t just count on everyone else to take the risk and make your vote comfortable for you.
Unfortunately that’s not how our political system is set up. You have to vote for who you think aligns with you best that has a chance to govern if you ever want change.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2018, 10:39 PM   #1015
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I still can't believe Kenney was selected as UCP leader.

Like, my god, the Province voted you idiots out of power to send a message. And so you come back to the table to try and regain power with... Jason... Kenney? A dog with a blue tie would be a better nominee.

How hard is this to figure out? Get a centrist and it's an auto win. I'm not even a political strategist but I feel like most elections don't come this easy. And yet here they are, they still might #### it up because Notley now is pivoting to center and (rightfully) calling Kenney out for what he is. Crazy.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2018, 02:02 AM   #1016
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I still can't believe Kenney was selected as UCP leader.

Like, my god, the Province voted you idiots out of power to send a message. And so you come back to the table to try and regain power with... Jason... Kenney? A dog with a blue tie would be a better nominee.

How hard is this to figure out? Get a centrist and it's an auto win. I'm not even a political strategist but I feel like most elections don't come this easy. And yet here they are, they still might #### it up because Notley now is pivoting to center and (rightfully) calling Kenney out for what he is. Crazy.
I don't want Notley again but come on Alberta, give us an actual alternative.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:07 AM   #1017
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Candidates can gain traction without an election. Under first-past-the-post, polling can simulate the early rounds of an instant-runoff election allowing voters to vote tactically in effective final round. Poll honestly, vote tactically.

And change the damn electoral system so that tactical voting becomes unnecessary.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #1018
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Probably because as much as it annoys people a lot, and I mean a lot, of people don’t really care about social issues. They vote with their wallets.

Honestly I’ll almost certainly vote UCP because I feel they will keep the most money in my wallet for my family. The rest is noise.
now if they could only tell us HOW they'll put money back in my wallet.

I can't support them until I get some actual policy. right now all I hear is "the NDP took your money, we'll give it back"
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:05 AM   #1019
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Unfortunately that’s not how our political system is set up. You have to vote for who you think aligns with you best that has a chance to govern if you ever want change.
It’s a Catch 22, the only reason that this is true is because people like you believe it’s true, so you throw away your vote to the next best thing instead of actually using your vote on the party you support the most.

It’s the reason bad governments win, because they’re just a little less worse than the current government and people vote for change of any kind, not the preferred kind.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:15 AM   #1020
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
So 18 years ago Kenney talked about a law he supported 30 years go?

He would have been 2 years out of high school at that point. Can't wait to see what gets dug up next, I bet he was a real stinker in elementary.
I guess to Conservatives

Organizing/Protesting/Lobbying are equal to "supporting"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote