Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #101
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I would be thrilled to death with an X-23 movie if it comes close to the tone of Logan, regardless of timeline or age of the character or whatever. Laura was one of the best parts about Logan.
I think they'll wait a few years until the same actress is over 18, even if they keep the character around 16.

Shooting an action film with a kid as the lead would be a nightmare logistically.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:16 PM   #102
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I think they'll wait a few years until the same actress is over 18, even if they keep the character around 16.

Shooting an action film with a kid as the lead would be a nightmare logistically.
It's prob even easier now with all that CG.

Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #103
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another hurdle has been cleared. Disney and Fox shareholders approve the deal.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/27/disn...an-expect.html

Everything is still expected to close early next year.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #104
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post

The original actress is 13 now. I think Laura could be recast and the show could go on without missing a beat.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:49 PM   #105
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
You gotta wonder where this consolidation is heading, and if it will be good for consumers in the end or just shareholders.
It's not good for theatre owners. My good friend Syed owns the Wales Theatre in High River and complains that Disney is the worst to deal with when ordering a movie. Half the time there's nobody in the distribution office to take his call and order. If you want to show the movie on release you have to show it for a minimum of 3-4 weeks. They don't care if you have one screen and that showing for more than one week would not be profitable.

On top of paying a fee to show the movie, they demand a percentage of your box office takes. Only money made is in concession sales
Old 07-27-2018, 11:48 PM   #106
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
On top of paying a fee to show the movie, they demand a percentage of your box office takes. Only money made is in concession sales
Correct me if I'm wrong - I'm pretty sure that's with every movie theatre despite what company. Cineplex and them don't actually keep money from the ticket sales, everything they get is from popcorn/food/drink and ads.
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:54 AM   #107
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was excited for this to happen at one time...now I'm just horrified by The Mouse becoming bigger and their influence spreading...
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2018, 01:01 AM   #108
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan6 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong - I'm pretty sure that's with every movie theatre despite what company. Cineplex and them don't actually keep money from the ticket sales, everything they get is from popcorn/food/drink and ads.
You're correct, all theatres pay a percentage to the movie companies from ticket sales. What monies they do get to keep (IIRC) is around 20% of ticket sales. Concession sales is the money maker which explains why prices are nearing the stupid level.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:33 AM   #109
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

A big stink was made when Disney asked for 65-70% of ticket sales from The Last Jedi. At that time, reports suggested studios kept 40% of sales from international markets and 55% from domestic markets (on average).

So theaters don't keep a lot of the ticket sales for themselves, but they keep more than 0% of 20% of them.

Source: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...the-last-jedi/
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2018, 01:14 PM   #110
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
A big stink was made when Disney asked for 65-70% of ticket sales from The Last Jedi. At that time, reports suggested studios kept 40% of sales from international markets and 55% from domestic markets (on average).

So theaters don't keep a lot of the ticket sales for themselves, but they keep more than 0% of 20% of them.

Source: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...the-last-jedi/
When you buy a movie ticket, where does that money go?

Quote:
Arrangements vary, but the movie studio usually ends up with about 60 percent of the proceeds from American box offices. Overseas, the number is usually less, anywhere from 20 percent to 40 percent depending on the film distribution arrangements, agreements, and other costs associated with foreign distribution (not to mention piracy).

That figure varies according to the usual supply and demand principles — an extremely hot first-run movie may start out with distribution fees up to 90 percent (in other words, 90 percent of the fees during that time are going back to the studio). As the film stays in distribution longer, the fees go down since demand goes down until eventually the theater replaces it with a different film.

In aggregate across all films and all times, 60 percent is a reasonable estimate.

In case you are curious, this differential in ticket percentage going to the studios is a major reason why box office totals are reported in terms of money and not in terms of tickets. Besides, the studio could care less if 20 million people pay $10 each or 10 people pay $20 million each to see the film.
http://theweek.com/articles/647394/w...oes-that-money
Old 07-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #111
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks Dion, you posted another source and a quote from it that also states theaters keep more than 0%-20% of ticket revenue.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:30 PM   #112
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks Dion, you posted another source and a quote from it that also states theaters keep more than 0%-20% of ticket revenue.
Not always

an extremely hot first-run movie may start out with distribution fees up to 90 percent (in other words, 90 percent of the fees during that time are going back to the studio).

Also to be more correct

Most of the money from ticket sales goes back to the movie studio. A film booker leases a movie to a particular theater for a set period of weeks. The percentage of ticket sales that the studio takes decreases on each week that a movie is in the theater. If the screening was arranged by an independent middleman, he also takes a slice. So the movie has to pull in sizeable audiences for several weeks in order for theater owners to make any serious profits.

During the film's opening week, the studio might take 70 to 80 percent of gross box office sales. By the fifth or sixth week, the percentage the studio takes will likely shrink to about 35 percent, said Steven Krams, president of International Cinema Equipment Co.

https://money.cnn.com/2002/03/08/smbusiness/q_movies/

Last edited by Dion; 07-28-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:45 PM   #113
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Last Jedi was "an extremely hot first run movie" that raised a stir when it asked for 65% of box office receipts for the first month of its run. My original article roughed out that most studios end up getting 40%-55% of ticket prices for theatrical releases, on average. Your article roughed that average out at 60%.

This means theaters, on average, keep roughly 40%-45% of ticket revenues. That is much higher than your recollection that theaters keep "around 20%" of ticket revenues. That's all I was getting at.

Sliding scales that start high on opening weekend and decrease over time are figured into those averages in both articles. We're literally posting different articles that are reaching the same conclusion. Even the latest 16.5 year old article you dredged up.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 07-28-2018 at 02:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2018, 07:04 PM   #114
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Disney now own Batman The Animated Series and Gotham?
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:24 AM   #115
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
They definitely won't own Batman the animated series. That was shown on Fox under a five year exclusive contract. It also later ran in syndication on the WB network and even the Disney network.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:36 AM   #116
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
No, those are both Warner Bros productions. Fox just airs/aired them.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #117
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
i don't know about that. Logan and Deadpool both showed that their is definitely a continued audience for fresh X-men films. Both films, which had relatively low budgets, were very profitable.

This is obviously a matter of choice, but I find the X-men characters a lot more compelling and 3 dimensional than the Avengers characters. It's difficult to portray the characters without taking a deep dive, that can be pretty dark. Where the X-men movies, that do go wrong, go wrong is where they portray the characters on a superficial level. For example, the Blob in Wolverine, the Juggernaut in X3, and Apocalypse.
Very much agreed.

The x-men movies are famously dismissive and ignoramt of the source material, to the point that reading the comics on set was rumored to be forbidden and certainly at least frowned upon. Just watching the movies will give you a very poor idea what the characters actually are. The X-men were Marvels flagship franchise for quite a while because of those characters, it's why when Marvel started to really get into the movie business, they got filmed first instead of the Avengers.

There's a whole bunch of great characters and a pretty different aesthetic there thats yet to be used. The problem might be though that the characters are so deep and complex it's difficult to capture them on film... And super expensive to turn them into a series.

X-men comics are often more like 'Logan' than 'Apocalypse' in tone, and we've seen that there's an audience for that.

But one thing I'd love to see is X-men style fights, because they (generally) have a somewhat different set of rules to the Avengers and really most superheroes. Typical superhero fights are mostly battles of raw supernatural power and will. Which is fine, don't get me wrong. They're also usually blatantly good v. evil.

X-men mythology on the other hand makes a big deal about skill and tactics. Knowing how to use your power smartly is often the key factor separating the heavy hitters from the also-rans. Characters effectively grow in power as they get older because they just have way more tricks up their sleeve. Duels are typically won by the more experienced or the more clever party, team fights by the team working together better. (This of course is made possible in part because the X-men universe is full of shades of grey and situations where the bad guys just win.)

Obviously that's a generalization and often just flavor to the battles, but it's a flavor I always liked and one we haven't seen that much of yet in the MCU.

Last edited by Itse; 08-02-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:56 PM   #118
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Almost a year and a half after news of the deal first broke, the Disney-Fox merger is set to become officially complete at midnight tonight.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/03/19/dis...rger-complete/

https://twitter.com/user/status/1108002378064822272
Old 03-19-2019, 10:02 PM   #119
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

12:02 AM ET....Disney now officially owns Fox. Still crazy IMO.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:23 PM   #120
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

An interesting profile on Lachlan Murdoch, who is now the head of Fox Corp.

Lachlan Murdoch takes control of Fox Corp. But how will he deal with President Trump?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...4cf_story.html

Also, highly recommend the TV show Succession, which is inspired by the power struggle between Rupert Murdoch and his children for the control 21st Century Fox earlier this decade.

snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote