Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #21
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think AcGold might just have a huge hate-on for EA.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #22
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That said, I'm expecting NHL to incorporate the new engine (same as FIFA, which is an incredible engine) and that should immediately fix quite a few things.

Since I'm not expecting a HUGE change, the only minor things I'd like would be:

- Opt out (or penalty) during fights after a hit (I had to turn fighting right off, which I didn't actually mind, but it'd be nice to see a couple).
- Either an expanded Be A Pro "question" portion, or being able to skip questions (answering the same question 48 times during the first couple seasons of Be A Pro is time consuming and (while realistic) gets boring)
- improvement to Be A Pro in the free agent period. In FIFA (during the transfer period) you get an offer which you can refuse, then another comes along, then another, etc. Having 4 options and being required to pick one immediately is a little annoying (and unrealistic). Plus, I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but if you stay on a team long enough they just get worse and worse, if they don't draft great players they NEVER sign them in free agency, so your teams just gets worse.

Other than that, they really are great sports games. I know we can nit pick at the little things, but when you get down to it they really are great. They probably could use some greater improvements year-to-year being the only title available, but the hockey team is lower budgeted than the FIFA and Madden games, so you have to imagine they're working within their means.

Remember, NHL isn't even close to as relevant as Madden and FIFA. An NHL game has never even ranked in the top ten of EA Sports games. Just getting to use the same engine as FIFA is a huge boost.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #23
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

I skipped NHL14.

Hoping to be blown away by NHL15.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #24
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
I think AcGold might just have a huge hate-on for EA.
Just calling it like it is. They weren't voted worst company in the US for nothing.

Calling them great is ridiculous because they objectively are not. They can't even get 10 player online to run lag free. That's not great and smaller teams have produced drastically better games

Last edited by AcGold; 05-04-2014 at 12:02 PM.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #25
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Just calling it like it is. They weren't voted worst company in the US for nothing.

Calling them great is ridiculous because they objectively are not. They can't even get 10 player online to run lag free. That's not great and smaller teams have produced drastically better games

Why do you even really care? Just don't buy the games!

I really do mean no offense by this, but EA hate often seems like 1st world/childish problems to me. They really do make great games. I put it in my console, turn it on, and enjoy myself. Are there little problems here and there? Sure, but if they were big enough to go on rants about, I'd probably just not buy the games.

I research stuff before I buy it, I don't buy movies, albums, or games I won't like, and I know what to expect. If I want to play a solid hockey game, I'll buy EA NHL. I don't HAVE to buy it, I want to buy it. If video games are your sole interest then maybe you feel like "not buying it" is not an option, but if I hear a game isn't going to be what I want, then it's simple, I don't buy the game. I like Sim City, heard the new one was garbage, so guess what? I didn't buy it, and my life was equally as good as it would've been had I bought it.

All I'm saying is that you complain an awful lot about a company that doesn't owe you anything and doesn't force you to buy anything. You obviously don't like EA, so who are you trying to convince exactly? "just calling it like it is" no, you're just complaining about something for some inexplicable reason. I get the need to be a wet blanket, but the solution for you is incredibly simple.

I love the hockey games, as imperfect as they might be. The FIFA games are better, I know why they're better, I'm cool with that. I just don't understand why you'd see a thread that says "NHL 15" and go in just to complain.
The Following User Says Thank You to strombad For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #26
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
I skipped NHL14.

Hoping to be blown away by NHL15.
Oh it'll blow.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #27
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I love the hockey games, as imperfect as they might be. The FIFA games are better, I know why they're better, I'm cool with that. I just don't understand why you'd see a thread that says "NHL 15" and go in just to complain.
Because it's a discussion forum.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brannigans Law For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #28
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
Because it's a discussion forum.

Every discussion needs a wet blanket who doesn't like anything being talked about!
Old 05-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #29
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Every discussion needs a wet blanket who doesn't like anything being talked about!
Sounds like you're the wet blanket not liking the discussion of how EA has become lazy and sloppy.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brannigans Law For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #30
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can they offer 3 minute periods?

This is helpful for Be A GM, Be A Pro, and if you have friends over.

On the single player games, it is a nice balance of time to actually play more games, compared to playing the odd long one and then simming a bunch.

For multiplayer, it just helps to pass it around for more people to get a turn
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #31
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Nhl 15

Quote:
Sounds like you're the wet blanket not liking the discussion of how EA has become lazy and sloppy.

Have fun complaining! What a great day you'll have! Yayyyyyy!

I know that when I'm looking to have a great time, it's complaining about a company that produces a product purely for the enjoyment of others because they don't produce it to a level that I personally demand. Gosh it's good to be alive.

Hey, I'm all for speaking frankly about EA and about the NHL games, but the exaggerated negativity seems a little much for a video game. If someone doesn't like it that much, why would they play the games?

The solution is so easy, and it saves you $70. I wish I hated the NHL games, then I too could save myself $70.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #32
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I know that when I'm looking to have a great time, it's complaining about a company that produces a product purely for the enjoyment of others because they don't produce it to a level that I personally demand. Gosh it's good to be alive.

Hey, I'm all for speaking frankly about EA and about the NHL games, but the exaggerated negativity seems a little much for a video game. If someone doesn't like it that much, why would they play the games?

The solution is so easy, and it saves you $70. I wish I hated the NHL games, then I too could save myself $70.
I hate the NHL games? Wait, what?

Quote:
Is NHL 14 a good game? Heck ya! Is it worth 60 dollars if you have NHL 13? God no. My beef with EA is they do the same crap every new gen. They jettison a tonne of features so they can piece by piece rebuild the game over 4 years and pretend they're innovating. They sell you a minor update to each game, a patch if you will, and extract 60+ dollars from us every year like a dentist removing a bad tooth.
How do you get I hate NHL games from that? Or are you just trolling and trying to make me sound like a video game hipster? On what planet would someone who hates a game say a game is good. Good grief, get a grip.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #33
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I can't wait for the entitled whining from video game connoisseurs
I'm easily the biggest whiner of this game here on CP. Every year I whine about the same things...because the same problems arise every single year.

-Players who can pause online games with 12 people playing. Been that way since '07 and should have long been taken out.
-Inaccuracies in be a GM mode.
-Glitch goals
-Same announcers saying the exact same things every single year. I still hear comments from '07.
-Long load times in the menus due to useless menu animations
-Etc etc etc

If we had a competing product it wouldn't be so bad. EA might actually be motivated to listen to it's customers. Instead we've been stuck with a hockey game monopoly the last ~ decade and EA has a known reputation of taking shortcuts and depending on brand name to sell it's products. Can't really blame people for complaining when it's the same issues every year.

And before someone tosses out the whole ''dont' like it, don't play it'' speech, I am a hockey addict who needs his fix. I really have no other option other then to play the EA series every year. I enjoy the game immensely, but EA totally reminds of SN. Their product could be sooooo much better if they took the time to make the simple fixes that people complain about. And from a consumer perspective, it seems like laziness on their part.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #34
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I hate the NHL games? Wait, what?

How do you get I hate NHL games from that? Or are you just trolling and trying to make me sound like a video game hipster? On what planet would someone who hates a game say a game is good. Good grief, get a grip.

I was talking about AcGold actually, which is a problem when you respond to a comment that wasn't directed at you originally.

Don't worry, my grip is gotten, and it is firm yet genteel. Perhaps you understand the content before you comment on it, then you can better respond. It's much more pleasant than wasting your time saying "get a grip" in your mistaken response.

To be honest, I thought your original comment (that you thought might make you look like a complainer) was negative but fair, and had zero problem with it, so I'm not even sure why you bothered responding to me in the first place.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #35
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I was talking about AcGold actually, which is a problem when you respond to a comment that wasn't directed at you originally.

Don't worry, my grip is gotten, and it is firm yet genteel. Perhaps you understand the content before you comment on it, then you can better respond. It's much more pleasant than wasting your time saying "get a grip" in your mistaken response.

To be honest, I thought your original comment (that you thought might make you look like a complainer) was negative but fair, and had zero problem with it, so I'm not even sure why you bothered responding to me in the first place.
Quote:

You quoted me directly so I assumed you were also talking about me. Seems fair to me
Old 05-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #36
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do actually kind of agree with the "if you don't like it, don't buy it" motto. The last NHL game I bought was 11 or 12, and I got it used because I hadn't played a hockey sim in a while. Got bored of it very quickly and decided not to buy anymore in the series until I started seeing better reviews.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #37
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You quoted me directly so I assumed you were also talking about me. Seems fair to me

Haha only if you think I'm an idiot that can't read, which is totally possible, it's the Internet.

The "I wish I hated the NHL series" definitely wasn't directed at you. They're good games (I've been warned not to say great, it's "objectively wrong") that have flaws. So my comment was directed at Ac who clearly hates them and just EA on general. Why someone who hates EA so hard would drop $60-$70 every 6-12 months just to fuel that hatred is just craaaaazy to me.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #38
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I quit buying it when they started focusing only on online stuff. The offline features seriously haven't improved since Ovechkin was on the cover. Its almost funny

But ya EA puts a way better effort into their FIFA games. Worth the buy
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #39
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm onboard with the "don't buy it if you hate it" camp, but I think it's completely fair to list your frustrations or complaints with the game. I'd be happy to buy it if they would get their #### together and make a quality game rather than pumping out the same rehashed cardboard cutout versions of last year's games. Oh well. I'll wait and see.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yasa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #40
Mofo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm in my 30's. Been playing this series religiously since 1992 (I swear I have kissed a girl), and I play NHL '14 regularly. In my opinion, here is what they need to fix.

- CPU teammates going offside. I can't count how many times I have screamed at the tv in HUT mode when one of my guys goes offside for no reason. Several times I have been on clear cut two-on-none's, just to see my ####### teammate offside by about 5 feet. I know the argument is too pass ahead of you, but there are just too many times when this is not the case, and they just wander offside for no reason.
- AI stupidity. I don't care if you're heading off for a line change. If you're the last man back between your goalie and the opposition with the puck, do not skate to the bench leaving a wide open breakaway. Finish defending, then go off when the time is right.
- Stupid goalies. How many times does the puck come towards the goalie, slowly, only to see your idiot tender casually swap it away into danger of the opposing team. Also, he has several times to cover it, but rather just sits there and watches it 'til the other team pumps one home.
- Short passes. Why can't ya make em?
- Hitting. Too much. Too easy. Make it more realistic please. It's close.
- Invisible sticks. This is one example where I understand how hard it would be to make realistic, but I am hoping with the new system, they will have the power to do so. I am talking about several examples where your stick becomes invisible. Players skate trough them.. ect.
- Tripping penalties by diving. (And I am not talking about examples where your clearly dive into his feet.) The one's I am talking about would not be a penalty in the real NHL. It's where you dive down to block a pass/shot on a two-on-one. Then, about 2 or 3 seconds later, an opposing player will skate over top of you and you will get a tripping penalty. In real life, if a player goes down to block a shot, and a player skates over him, no call.
Mofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chel , ea nhl , ea sports , next gen , nhl